Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If decide to not use that 401, let me know. We can probably work something out.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Well, I’ve been told that Mater’s new motor is loose and ready for pickup. $&@$’s about yo get real up in here!

decisions to be made:

1) swap the Edelbrock intake over to the 401 from my 360? (Seller suggests doing all the gaskets while swapping the 401 in to take care of the leaks it has and I’m planning on that, so seems like a good idea since my Jeep is set up for those connections anyway)

2) swap the HEI I have on the 360 or run his TFI setup. Love the simplicity of the HEI and my engine wiring is thinned to use it. I’d have to make the wiring for the TFI work if I keep that. I do like the idea of running what’s worked on the engine versus swapping the dizzy gear to the HEI to keep the matched set.

I am getting exited. Working on the pickup date for the new setup. Need to get video of the 360 running before I start tear down.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Yeah stop flossing and get wrenching!.

Coming from a world of small Euro boxes and 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engines i am curious at to whether that extra bit of displacement between a 401 and a 360 will really makes a big difference, other than the obvious bragging rights of course :unsure:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yeah stop flossing and get wrenching!.

Coming from a world of small Euro boxes and 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engines i am curious at to whether that extra bit of displacement between a 401 and a 360 will really makes a big difference, other than the obvious bragging rights of course :unsure:
All I care about are the bragging rights :rotfl:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
All I care about are the bragging rights :rotfl:
realistically, it’s like I said, the 401 is a bonus. I can not WAIT to cut out this POS exhaust and replace the radiator. I’m so sick of smelling coolant every time I drive...

I’ll definitely let you know on the seat-of-pants feel (which is all I’ll actually have). I just hope I can get it done relatively quickly. He told me it would be another couple weeks, so I hadn’t even started ordering parts yet.

City
Halifax
State
UK
It should drop right in there, possibly the easiest swap ever just replacing like for like essentially? but this is a jeep so anything can happen!.

And you do know Mater will need to be renamed "The Battle Bus" after the swap as well if your Fortnite addiction carries on :giggle:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yeah, outside of switching out the exhaust, and even that is functionally a like-for-like deal.

Seller has someone who wants my 360 too and doesn’t want the intake because he has a new Edelbrock EFI in order already. More things falling into place! :fingerscrossed:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Your message just prompted me to look at the thread; I hadn’t seen this month’s update. Congrats! Welcome to the world of “big” AMC!

Yes, definitely swap the Edelbrock intake onto the 401. The ONLY reason to MAYBE not do that is if the 401 has the 4-bbl carb (it probably does), but the AMC power really opens up with the better flowing intake and carb. The 2150 is a great carb for the 2-bbl intake on the 304, and makes a nice fuel-sipping DD for the 360, but you’ll want the better induction system for the 401. You should also absolutely put the HEI into the 401. I also agree with doing some of the seals while the engine is out and you can put it on a stand. I’d minimally pop the oil pan and do the RMS along with the valve covers, and if you’re putting the Edelbrock intake on, then the only thing left is the timing chain cover.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yes, definitely swap the Edelbrock intake onto the 401. The ONLY reason to MAYBE not do that is if the 401 has the 4-bbl carb (it probably does)
It does have the 4-bbl setup but if his guy buys the 360 without the intake it’s a no brainer to swap. Intake would be for sale along with the Holley carb.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
And so it begins. Only interesting thing found so far is that someone welded the bolt for the core support that connects to the corner fender support to the fender support for some reason I am not able to comprehend.

DE187B73-A637-49BE-A1E4-70D199265C1B.jpeg

image.jpg

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
LOL :rotfl:

the “weld” turned out to be an exceptionally hard glob of whatever undercoating was sprayed on this thing. I couldn’t even hammer a socket through it. Had to use the dremel. It was shiny from the PB Blaster running down over it and looked exactly like metal in the glare of the light.

Did find one welded nut was stripped out though. Had to grind that head off. Now to tackle the bumper bolts...