• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
To me, but then who am I, like the white letters facing in. I know some like them as you have them. Black rims probably look better the way you have them, but I have the white original rims and I just like the tires all black :)

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
No problem. I enjoy being able to help others out. That’s part of what makes documenting my builds so fulfilling. To be honest, I wish I lived somewhere closer to other Scrambler owners so that we could help each other in our builds.
I went out and took another picture with a straight edge. With the mounts in the position I told you in the first post, the back of the engine is 2” in front of the body mount bracket. (The straight edge in the picture is 2” wide. ) That places the back of the block 1 1/2” back of the spring hanger bolt. You should have a little under 2” firewall clearance on the passenger side with this placement. This is with the 5* tilt factored in. I’m thinking that the tilt might not matter as much with a manual trans but I’m worried about tunnel to trans clearance as is. I really don’t want a body lift...
Please ask if you have any more questions.View attachment 80598

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Randy, I can only imagine what we would have built if we lived closer to each other. We did pretty good living across country.
I thought I would throw out where I placed my engine mount Stump Jumper(Scrambler).

Attachments

• 74323CBC-247E-487F-8125-9D10B1475929.jpeg
    74323CBC-247E-487F-8125-9D10B1475929.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 24C9A045-B360-4D7A-9449-A12F2AB7CF3D.jpeg
    24C9A045-B360-4D7A-9449-A12F2AB7CF3D.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 73C211C7-5FED-40B8-986C-5C9C8CBF6EE1.jpeg
    73C211C7-5FED-40B8-986C-5C9C8CBF6EE1.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 21

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
My rear axle housing showed up today. Quick Performance fabricated 9”. 1/4” DOM tubes, billet ends, custom built to my specs. The axle shafts and disc brake setup should arrive soon.8B31E60D-2156-4421-A42C-BFB83F8CA6D6.jpeg2AB9B31E-2780-42BC-998A-014EDF4481E6.jpeg30C340ED-EE6B-48F1-B04A-C621D7CEDBC8.jpegBA54B859-E9A1-4028-8D02-8D82C47BE1D1.jpegDF8C99D0-DD2B-4B95-B700-E11BA92BB8F7.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
It’s been really difficult since having to say goodbye to Jessie last week. I haven't felt like doing much of anything. But I know I will never be able to drive my Scrambler if I don’t work on it...so I decided it was time to finish hanging the exhaust. I built a hanger crossmember behind the rear shock mounts and attached the hangers. Don’t know why this took me so long- but it’s done. Next I need to figure out a solution for the skid plate/trans mount and then run some plumbing.

13AB75CB-B830-4288-ABCC-5B10CFE29D01.jpeg11F8C11A-5A6C-407C-9F63-D1409AE877B7.jpeg0BBC0EB1-9861-4225-BD78-BBDF9046A2DA.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Got shafted today! ? My axle shafts showed up from Quick Performance. These things are beefy! Especially when compared to Waggy axles. I’m expecting the disk kit on Monday, and the diff should be a few days after that. Here’s some pics.

New Shafts.
C13132C5-42B6-4844-935B-60B10E29C66B.jpeg
Compared to Waggy shaft.
3243F99A-A9F3-43BF-8B02-4B52BBA01E77.jpeg

Got shafted a second way today too. The Dealership where I have been working for has furloughed me for 30 days because of lack of business. Half of the crew got the axe. Dang Corona! I built my last Scrambler mostly while unemployed, looks like this one will be the same way. I’ll be able to get a lot done at least.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
Sorry to hear Randy but you’ll have extra time to get Red up and going. Looking forward to a “Fast and Loud” smokey burnout !

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Been working on the skid plate/trans cross member. The only drawback to using a passenger drop 241C is that they hang lower than the stock D300. I am modifying the skid to fit the contours of the 241C, but I'll still have to space the whole thing down 1" to make it fit. That's the plan for now- if it's too low I'll have to clock the case up. That means modifying the exhaust too. I'll post pics once it's finished- it's at the ugly stage right now. Can you say "Frankenskid"?

I also got the Fairchild weatherstrip kit for the doors in, along with some Crown Performance red brake lines. No judging allowed ;) Both items look great, IMHO.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
In the 2nd pic of post 192 is that a crossover (H) pipe just behind the T-case?
Looks great and sorry to hear about the temp working situation. We'll all be just fine when this is over, just have to keep a positive mental attitude.
I hope that when you bark the pipes on that thing it reminds you of Jessie barking!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
In the 2nd pic of post 192 is that a crossover (H) pipe just behind the T-case?
Looks great and sorry to hear about the temp working situation. We'll all be just fine when this is over, just have to keep a positive mental attitude.
I hope that when you bark the pipes on that thing it reminds you of Jessie barking!

Yes, that’s the crossover pipe. Thanks for the kind words. Somehow I don’t think the pain of losing Jessie will ever go away.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Yes, that’s the crossover pipe. Thanks for the kind words. Somehow I don’t think the pain of losing Jessie will ever go away.
I didn’t use a crossover or x pipe on mine and on the dyno I’m still getting 300 hp to the rear wheels. Not bad for a Jeep and I love the old school sound out of the dual exhaust.
Jessie will always be riding with you.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Well, after hacking and welding on the factory skid, I’m just not happy that my new crossmember will be a little over an inch lower than on a stock CJ. I looked into building a custom crossmember/skid assembly, but even that will compromise clearance. I know I won’t be satisfied with that especially with a 2.5” lift and 31” tires. This is supposed to be my dream Scrambler not my “OK” Scrambler. So... tomorrow morning I’m going to order a clocking ring and see where that puts me. Unfortunately that impacts my exhaust pipe on the passenger side, so here comes some rework there too. I’m really hoping it doesn’t interfere with the floor... But...it’s not right until it’s right.