• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Could you just fab a heat shield where your exhaust is close?

And you're so lucky to have a good painter available to you. Those guys that are willing to work on old iron and do a good job seem to be few and far between.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I was planning on getting them from the place you got yours. Although they’re out of black/red!?

I was planning on running steel lines in the areas where I was parallel to the exhaust pipes. I am concerned about heat. The lines are probably 6” away from the exhaust however, so that might not be an issue. I haven’t purchased anything yet except for the fuel rail fittings. I’m going to take some romex I have laying around and mock up my lines a few different ways tomorrow and see what I end up with.
There's anywhere from 3-6" between my pipe and the frame where the line runs, but I admit I don't know how important that may be. Things don't feel excessively hot to the touch after a drive. I have the filter under the bed about 6" away from the pipe and I had some extra heat shield fabric so I went ahead and wrapped that at least.

If you email the guy, he'll get back to you probably within the hour on when the red/black is due in. I used right at 20', but you'd have to be perfect in your setup...I had to make a couple length changes and changed a fitting in order to get things tight. The 30' option gave me peace of mind and the fitting selection you get in the kit helps get things laid out just right. The stuff is pretty beefy, maybe 3/4" diameter with all of the layers?

Edit: and if you want the aluminum vice jaw mounts, I can send them next week or whenever I send the lamps out, no charge. I doubt I'll ever use them again, and they came in real handy for getting the fittings set up. It should all fit in a small flat rate box.

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
A little more reassembly accomplished today. I’m still trying to sort out the fuel lines- on Copper I used OEM style nylon with quick connects. That made it super easy, and economical. They proved to be really durable also. Having a single exhaust made that an easy decision. But on Red the dual exhausts give me concern about heat and nylon, so I’m thinking a hybrid steel and braided PTFE system ( the hose Walkerhoundvm used ). I’m just having a hard time justifying the amount of transitions I have - braid from tank to hard line, another section of braid for flex from frame to engine, hard line up the trans and then flex to the fuel rail. Lots of transitions, lots of opportunities for leaks. I just want to make sure I’m doing this the best/wisest way possible.

View attachment 84900

I did stop at the painters at the end of last week to approve the paint color. I love it and so does the wife so all is good. My tub has been primed and blocked multiple times, the painter wants this paint job to be perfection.
View attachment 84901View attachment 84902View attachment 84903View attachment 84904

I think I’m coming to the realization that this build will be more “show quality” than I had ever intended. The chances of taking Red off road get slimmer the better she looks. Red just might turn out to be my “middle age crazy sports car”! That being said, I’m guessing there will have to be one more build after Red is done. I’ve still got my eye on a Jeepster in a local yard...

How do y'all plan on the painting process?

Are you going to final paint the inside/underneath, and first coat the outside, then reassemble the entire vehicle, then final paint/clear?

Just curious. When I painted my red Scrambler, I was more concerned with getting paint on every square inch. So, I had all the parts/pieces painted individually, then I reassembled it. So, even though the same paint was used throughout, not all parts match 100%, due to how the individual parts were sprayed at different directions/angles/etc. For me, since it is a trail rig, I was not that concerned about it. But, if I ever do another repaint for "show quality", I will wait on final paint/clear until AFTER the whole vehicle is reassembled.

Just curious :thumbsup::cheers::wave:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Could you just fab a heat shield where your exhaust is close?

And you're so lucky to have a good painter available to you. Those guys that are willing to work on old iron and do a good job seem to be few and far between.
Planning on some heat shielding no matter what material I decide on.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
There's anywhere from 3-6" between my pipe and the frame where the line runs, but I admit I don't know how important that may be. Things don't feel excessively hot to the touch after a drive. I have the filter under the bed about 6" away from the pipe and I had some extra heat shield fabric so I went ahead and wrapped that at least.

If you email the guy, he'll get back to you probably within the hour on when the red/black is due in. I used right at 20', but you'd have to be perfect in your setup...I had to make a couple length changes and changed a fitting in order to get things tight. The 30' option gave me peace of mind and the fitting selection you get in the kit helps get things laid out just right. The stuff is pretty beefy, maybe 3/4" diameter with all of the layers?

Edit: and if you want the aluminum vice jaw mounts, I can send them next week or whenever I send the lamps out, no charge. I doubt I'll ever use them again, and they came in real handy for getting the fittings set up. It should all fit in a small flat rate box.
Those vice jaws would be awesome! Thank you! I’ll email about the red/black. I can always go with plain black. I was actually considering the bare stainless too. Nice to hear the guy is so customer service oriented. As far as the heat goes I’ll just have to see how things shake out.

3/4” overall o/d! That’s a lot thicker than I expected. That may be a deciding factor in doing steel down the frame and use the PTFE for the flex ends.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR

Are you going to final paint the inside/underneath, and first coat the outside, then reassemble the entire vehicle, then final paint/clear?

Just curious. When I painted my red Scrambler, I was more concerned with getting paint on every square inch. So, I had all the parts/pieces painted individually, then I reassembled it. So, even though the same paint was used throughout, not all parts match 100%, due to how the individual parts were sprayed at different directions/angles/etc. For me, since it is a trail rig, I was not that concerned about it. But, if I ever do another repaint for "show quality", I will wait on final paint/clear until AFTER the whole vehicle is reassembled.

My painter is planning on a full paint out and then I’ll assemble it. Honestly, the issues you brought up are ones I didn’t think of. He has done many vehicles in this manner so I’m guessing he has the process mastered. I guess we will find out!??

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Those vice jaws would be awesome! Thank you! I’ll email about the red/black. I can always go with plain black. I was actually considering the bare stainless too. Nice to hear the guy is so customer service oriented. As far as the heat goes I’ll just have to see how things shake out.

3/4” overall o/d! That’s a lot thicker than I expected. That may be a deciding factor in doing steel down the frame and use the PTFE for the flex ends.
It's about as thick as a finger, but pretty flexible. I can cut off a few inches of what I have left and send it as well. In my head I just made a childish joke there.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
It's about as thick as a finger, but pretty flexible. I can cut off a few inches of what I have left and send it as well. In my head I just made a childish joke there.
? I see what you did there!

That would be great. I’m putting the exhaust back in so I can see exactly what my clearances are. I did find a bunch of heat shielding that I forgot I had purchased. It was from an old Ford recall on 89 pickups. I bought 10 of these kits when Ford discontinued them for pennies on the dollar. The longest piece is 19.5”, then 9.75” and 6.5”. It should work great on any tube up to 5/8” tight fit, or a bit over 1” with two snapped together. BDE8FECD-2692-4DE3-B898-B2100B81B2DB.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Just measured with a caliper - closer to 1/2", about as big as my pinky. I was off a little :)
That’s awesome! Those sleeves I posted above will work great. I think I’m going to do stainless down the frame rails and use the PTFE at either end. Probably order the 10’ kit and some extra fittings. Now to source a decent 37* tubing flare tool that will do stainless. And not cost a fortune. I really want to do a Mastercool kit, but I’m having a hard time justifying the cost.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR

I found out he hangs the body parts in the paint booth “in order” and paints them as a “whole” vehicle. That way everything looks the same. Had me a bit concerned!

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
That’s awesome! Those sleeves I posted above will work great. I think I’m going to do stainless down the frame rails and use the PTFE at either end. Probably order the 10’ kit and some extra fittings. Now to source a decent 37* tubing flare tool that will do stainless. And not cost a fortune. I really want to do a Mastercool kit, but I’m having a hard time justifying the cost.

I can Priority Mail my Mastercool kit to you...going to be a while before I'm ready for it....still mostly doing house stuff at the moment.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I can Priority Mail my Mastercool kit to you...going to be a while before I'm ready for it....still mostly doing house stuff at the moment.
Really? That would be amazing! I have been agonizing over this for a while now. That makes the decision easy! Thank you so much. I’ll PM you.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Really? That would be amazing! I have been agonizing over this for a while now. That makes the decision easy! Thank you so much. I’ll PM you.
You're welcome, no problem at all. I'll be running to the post office at lunch time tomorrow to pickup mail & packages & can drop it off then if you send me your mailing address.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’ve been plugging away at the little stuff. Today I got my driveshaft back, so that’s a step in the right direction. I mentioned earlier I might need shims even though I thought I had it all measured- well, I forgot to add in the slope of the spring (higher in the back than the front). My 12* perches turned into 9* perches. So it looks like 3* is needed. Of course, I have a set of 4* on the shelf. Might try them first. Shaft turned out to be about 24” long.

860651C3-CA65-4736-B1E4-3788DCB06B50.jpeg5FDC318B-8411-4892-BEBC-3B79D8922301.jpeg

I got a message from my painter that color will start to go on Monday! Can’t wait!

Other small issue- I need to remind myself not to buy parts ahead of time. I’m going try one of the Wilwood adjustable combination valves, and mount it up by the master. So the rear brake line from Inline is too short, and the jury is out on the fronts. No matter what there wilL have to be some mods- but at least this keeps the lines away from the hot manifold!

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
They seem to have missed the grill?.:unsure:.
Personally I dont think i could live with the pressure of trying to not scratch or mark that paint especially with kids,pets and my own clumsy hands about hope you are more careful than me!. Amazing paint job(y)