• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My wife bought me a Jeep!

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Jealous. Muggy, warm and overcast in Charleston, SC. >:(

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Practice first. Made 3 passes on 16 gauge tubing drop after I cut some of the bends I’ll need. 6972C1F6-B831-4099-8421-035AD6E1A035.jpeg

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Not 3 passes on the same cut... put 4 pieces of drop together. Filling gaps is tough, going to get some filler rod before I go full bore on the tube in the Jeep.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Lookin’ good! I remember a guy telling me about using filler rod for big gaps years ago. A great idea!

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Got all but 1 piece of the exhaust welded yesterday. Went pretty well. Some more practice would help as always and I was fighting the light in the garage/shade on my lens and couldn’t see very well. Not all the welds were as straight as I would like.
8BE26440-3289-4E1F-84A8-8C6D364B3BDF.jpeg

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Exhaust is in. Needs 1 more clamp to take stress off header, but it’s in and not going to catch anything on fire.

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
With pics

Attachments

• 0C8C669E-663A-46EB-85D2-A049866F2958.jpeg
    0C8C669E-663A-46EB-85D2-A049866F2958.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 7B5E4DF8-4F38-4CD9-93D6-8094C5E73658.jpeg
    7B5E4DF8-4F38-4CD9-93D6-8094C5E73658.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 24
  • E15BA24D-957D-4E08-9E07-079044AF93CB.jpeg
    E15BA24D-957D-4E08-9E07-079044AF93CB.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 24

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
After the exhaust, I got all the wiring attached, fuel line on, changed the oil/filter, filled p/s, torqued intake manifold, checked p/s pressure line, adjusted CPS on the damper, hooked up heater hoses, tied the under hood lamps out of the way, strung the fan belt... don’t have any coolant. So maybe it’ll fire tomorrow...

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Well oil is in, batt is charged, full of coolant, and cranks strong. But no start. Chasing things down, the ‘97 XJ ECM, that came with the running engine when I pulled, has 12V and GND where it should. Fuel pump comes on and goes off like it should in Run. For some reason the ECM is not closing ground for the ASD in the PCM during cranking. I’ve got the Hesco CPS harmonic dampener set up. The sensor is open between B and C as stock should be. With the ignition in Run and the sensor connected/disconnected there is 5V at the A and C terminals. B is confirmed ground. I’m going to check the CPS wiring AGAIN, but what else makes the computer happy enough to give me my ground at the ASD? Any thoughts?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Well oil is in, batt is charged, full of coolant, and cranks strong. But no start. Chasing things down, the ‘97 XJ ECM, that came with the running engine when I pulled, has 12V and GND where it should. Fuel pump comes on and goes off like it should in Run. For some reason the ECM is not closing ground for the ASD in the PCM during cranking. I’ve got the Hesco CPS harmonic dampener set up. The sensor is open between B and C as stock should be. With the ignition in Run and the sensor connected/disconnected there is 5V at the A and C terminals. B is confirmed ground. I’m going to check the CPS wiring AGAIN, but what else makes the computer happy enough to give me my ground at the ASD? Any thoughts?
I worked on my friends '03 TJ that had a similar problem.
This is from the FSM that I used:

asd.PNG

I don't know if it relates for your situation or not, but the theory should be similar. :shrug:

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Solved. In all of the harness shaking, pulling, prodding for the last year the ASD out wire to C12 on ECM, Coil, and injectors broke off splice #1. I had continuity between ASD to ECM and Coil to injectors, but not ASD to coil or injectors. Going to button up harness again and may drive today!!!

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Here’s what diving into a harness looks like!

Attachments

• 01030E20-527B-4D08-9E72-CEE080AFC8B7.jpeg
    01030E20-527B-4D08-9E72-CEE080AFC8B7.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 44

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
It’s running consistently w/o many issues. I did find a couple “extra” fittings in the intake that weren’t needed in 1982 so need to get some plugs for those. On the threads just anti-seize for aluminum+steel interactions? Also found the temp gauge not reporting...
- Checked ohms across gauge = 19 good
- Sensor open in block
- continuity along purple w/tr through the firewall = check
- 12v run to fuel gauge = check
- 12v across to temp sensor = check = voltage reg inside fuel gauge no good. Should be 5V to temp gauge. So fuel gauge needs a change.
Also horn doesn’t work. Horn honks w/12v supplies direct but new relay doesn’t click when wheel is depressed and ground is supposed to be made. So going to tear that apart next.

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Got the fuel gauge in its not a great replica. The font is different and the needle seems to go too far on both ends of the gauge. I’ll be on the look out for a good take-off or a NOS replacement. But for now the speedometer is back together and I didn’t break the glass. The brakes were fun... I ended up breaking off the bleeder of the front driver side and striped the passenger smooth. So got to replace both calipers. Got the system bled and flushed all the lines. I also got in some new visors to swap my brown for black... wouldn’t you know the OMIX parts didn’t fit. Not ideal, so I’ll figure out how to send those back and how to identify the correct ones.

Attachments

• 83F571CB-E20A-4615-BD9B-7BB7C741611D.jpeg
    83F571CB-E20A-4615-BD9B-7BB7C741611D.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 15

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
Recap: Original 258 engine had the crankcase breather hooked up to vacuum on the intake and had so much blow by that it was blowing oil into the carb. I directed that to a stand-alone breather mounted to the firewall and trap that also quickly filled with oil and filled the cab with smoke.
On a whim, I noticed that the heater core wasn’t hooked up, after hooking up determined there was a leak.
I did the blazer heather motor swap, and replaced the core.
Having the dash off I realized that the various POs did some terrible things when it came to wiring... fixed a lot of it and added the KC front lights, built the stock style harness and found a stock fog switch for the dash. Replaced headlight switch and all heater vent controls. Did heater box resto also.
At that point a 97 XJ fell in my lap and the swap was on.
- Engine, ECM, PCM, harness from ‘97 XJ
- PCM mount from YJ and grafted to CJ batt tray
- Novak pump, sender, filter, return
- HESCO CPS and harmonic balancer
- Flex-a-lite dual electric fans for a CJ
- MORE motor mounts
- Banks 4.0 header
- Flowmaster and 2.5” custom exhaust
- ACT clutch for a 4.0
- HESCO pilot bushing for 4.0 and CJ
- Novak hyd clutch conversion 7/8 slave and 7/8 Wilwood master
- YJ brake power booster
- custom hyd. lines to adapt XJ power steering to CJ steering box
- Pioneer stereo, Kicker in dash, select increments centra pod with kicker and intra pod with kicker sub

Still need to tweak the fuel and temp gauges to get consistent readings and adapt the XJ a/c to CJ lines. But it’s running and driving!

mattymajors

CJ-8 Member
City
Spring Creek
State
NV
So, since the last post I’ve done some more clean up in the interior and got all the grounds working on the front, grill/lights/etc. Then..... the electrical gremlins “appeared”...
The Jeep started sputtering on start up and a rough idle. Then under hard load climbing a hill at highway speed I’d get a backfire. Then dead stick, it would try and fire once/twice and then nothing but crank. Would do the same thing on starter fluid - the 4.0 computer was not happy. I got a new CPS as that’s pretty much the only input that I can tell but no change; and computer still not happy. I got a rebuilt to stock specs and completely wiped computer and it fired right off.
However, the new computer after a dozen starts and some short 5-6mi trips is not happy. When I start the Jeep it idles terribly on its own unless I coax it to level off with the throttle. When cold it has a monster hesitation from idle when I bump it, but after about 1200rpm it responds well. During driving, it dies when coasting down a hill unless I keep it happy with the throttle. Once it’s dead, it’s a full power off for 30sec to let the computer clear and then it will start again. I’m scouring the XJ forums to see if there’s anything brilliant regarding these 4.0s but wanted to reach out and see if any of this stirs some conversations here.
Questions:
Is the exhaust too big and it’s not getting back pressure it’s expecting?
Maybe a vacuum leak somewhere I haven’t found yet?
Any other ideas?

I think I’m going to order the suite of sensors: TPS, MAF, etc and see if that makes it happy.
Then my next move is pull the harness out and trace all of it for shorts/poor connections - last resort.