• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Need bulkhead weather strip

Gopedal

City
Everett
State
PA
I'm about to finish a scrambler project but I need a bulkhead weatherstrip between the bulkhead and the body of the jeep. Does anybody make one or must I fabricate one out of some type of weather stripping. I have a spare Scrambler hard top. It's pre 83. I will sell it after I have the 83 hard top in place. Who know's, I might drop it and crack it.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
GoPedal- the irony of you posting this! I just got home from work and was in the garage looking at the bulkhead (as I finish the welding in the cab, I want to remove the bulkhead and make sure nothing is lurking there that needs repair), and wondered about that same weatherstrip. Will be interested to hear who might chime in on this to share what they are using.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I have previously used automotive seam sealer to form the gasket between the bulkhead and body. I had no plans to remove the bulkhead so it was a more permanent seal. I could suggest using a thin 3M double stick tape if no other options are presented. I have used that for other body type gaskets when nothing was available.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
AJ- I like your seam sealer idea; don't really see a reason to remove that bulkhead once it's done. Here's another link that had some good ideas as well: https://www.cj-8.com/threads/bulkhead-to-body-gasket.21023/

I bought my 88 YJ new, and the seal on the hardtop is similar to the 3M tape, the only difference being it was only sticky on the side facing the tub.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I just put mine back in for winter, I take it out and reinstall it every year. I use 3M body caulk. I use the black, it comes in a box with thin strips of this stuff. It’s like putty. I lay a double line of it on the floor and put the bulkhead in and bolt it down.

Gopedal

City
Everett
State
PA
Some good ideas, thanks. The long and the short of is there are no aftermarket seals. These ideas are probably better anyway. My current experience is that aftermarket anything almost fits.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I just put mine back in for winter, I take it out and reinstall it every year. I use 3M body caulk. I use the black, it comes in a box with thin strips of this stuff. It’s like putty. I lay a double line of it on the floor and put the bulkhead in and bolt it down.

I think this might be the best option, I plan on using this kind of stuff the next time I pull the top/bulkhead out of my red Scrambler. I have some "glazing putty" I am going to try.

I used some "foam like truck camper top" stuff on my red Scrambler, it works barely OK. It is not really water proof/submersible, so in a heavy rain or "nose downhill wash", it will let water leak in :twocents:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I think we can all agree that many materials will make a good seal. The original was made of a rubber extrusion with a round welt showing on the inside and a lip on the bed side. If I were restoring and needed this rubber part, short of having new rubber extruded, I'd look for already extruded rubber parts. One with the large welt or bubble, and one with the lip, and then I'd fit them to the bulkhead with 3M black weatherstrip adhesive. Where I used to restore antique cars, we had books with different rubber extrusions available. I would image Collins Bros has had more of a need for an original rubber for the high dollar restorations that they do and they probably have done all the research to solve this problem. Try calling them and see what they do or have available.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
This stuff might work. I didn't know what it was called, pulled this picture from another post on this forum just now.20200122_114257.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I’d be concerned if using any product that could absorb water. This is a joint that if left wet could easily promote rust. The body caulk, if it remains pliable, sounds like the best option.