• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New member here.

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
Thanks guys. Were there Scramblers produced without emergency brakes?

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
That's what I would have thought too. Mine has zero evidence of ever having any e brake what so ever. Chris

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
That's what I would have thought too. Mine has zero evidence of ever having any e brake what so ever. Chris

should be a cable off each calipers coming to the middle to a single bracket.... is the rear still an AMC 20?

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
I agree. It's still the narrow track amc 20. There's not even the classic cut off e brake cable coming out from the backing plate. Nothing under the dash in the way of a pedal assembly either. Wierd.

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Usually that means a previous owner ran into a problem, like maybe the ebrake rusted up and wouldn't function. They removed it with the intention to replace it "next weekend maybe," and that quickly spiraled into "next summer," etc.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
You could find all the parts/cables and put it back to stock, orrrrrr, you might want to put a lock in the hydrolic system.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I’ve heard of these failing... would you need separate for front and back?
Haven't used on myself. I believe they put pressure on the whole system. As long as all parts are in good condition, it should work fine. If you have a bad wheel cylinder/caliper, you'll probably know it. Think of it as putting pressure on the pedal and holding it . . . same thing, different method.

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
I have driven mine all over this country (literally) with a stock CJ box and wheeled it plenty. I don’t get the need to replace a working power CJ box. :shrug:

First order is to get rid of the quickener that the previous owner installed and see how it steers. Chris

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
Thank you. I agree completely. I like the Borgeson, but I like the factory style connections better than the set screw and lock nut style. Is something like the Crown HD shaft any good? Factory style connections but supposed to be heavier duty.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
There is a reason everybody goes to the Borgeson unit. It is the best. Stay clear of crown parts if at all possible, they just are not as good as OEM or quality aftermarket products.

If you search the forums here you will find almost all custom rigs are using the Borgeson steering shaft. :cheers:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Looks great, Borgeson all the way. Put a layer of rattle can on it before installing, though.