• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New to me 83 CJ8 Laredo!!

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Well... it looks like the fuel pump is designed to run directly on the cam lobe, but it doesn't look like your cam has a fuel pump lobe on it!

Could your 258 have a 4.0 cam in it? I don't even know if that's possible. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong. :shrug:

It should look like this:

fuel pump.gif

scramcraz

Basic User
City
lake jackson
State
tx
The diagram captures the basic principle of the thing. I don't think you can install the pump wrong. I had a lot of pump problems until I dropped and cleaned my tank. There doesn't appear to be anything missing from your old pump. Its just old and probably full of trash. Or bad diaphragm.

Bob

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The diagram captures the basic principle of the thing. I don't think you can install the pump wrong. I had a lot of pump problems until I dropped and cleaned my tank. There doesn't appear to be anything missing from your old pump. Its just old and probably full of trash. Or bad diaphragm.

Bob

I had this happen once before on a Scrambler I was working on, the one I posted a link to. I never thought about that happening, but you are correct, the fuel pump was completely impacted with crud :huh:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Well... it looks like the fuel pump is designed to run directly on the cam lobe, but it doesn't look like your cam has a fuel pump lobe on it!

Could your 258 have a 4.0 cam in it? I don't even know if that's possible. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong. :shrug:

It should look like this:

View attachment 70352

You are right, it looks like the lobe the fuel pump arm is supposed to ride on is too far forward. Unless it is just the angle of the picture. I wouldn't think a cam could move that much, but maybe like you said, a 4.0 or aftermarket cam without the fuel pump eccentric???

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
You are right, it looks like the lobe the fuel pump arm is supposed to ride on is too far forward. Unless it is just the angle of the picture. I wouldn't think a cam could move that much, but maybe like you said, a 4.0 or aftermarket cam without the fuel pump eccentric???

The lobe I see in the photo has a lifter sitting on it, so that's the angle of the photo. Right behind it (to the left in the photo) is where I would expect to see a nice shiny fuel pump eccentric lobe... but all I see is an unfinished part of the camshaft. Weird.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Here are pictures of my original 258, the cam is not original, it is a Clifford Cam.

This is fuel pump lobe.
20190227_103845.jpgresized.jpg

This is the lifter lobe to the right of the fuel pump lobe.
20190227_103851.jpgresized.jpg

This is the lifter lobe to the left of the fuel pump lobe.
20190227_103901.jpgresized.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Believe it or not, I had to replace a fuel pump. I made the mistake of angling the pump arm up when installing the pump. The arm was riding on top of the cam. It felt tight when installing and I needed to use the bolts to bring the pump against the block. Tried starting and it wouldn't start (never realizing what I did). Pulled it apart and figured it out. I was lucky I didn't damage the cam lobe. Put the pump in the correct way and it ran fine. My first build when I was 20. I felt like a idiot then and now. Maybe the previous owner did the same thing, didn't figure it out and went the electric pump root?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Second thought it looks like he's missing the lobe. It looks like it was riding on the shaft. Could someone have changed the cam to one that is made for a electric pump.

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
This is the strange wiring with replacement ignition module

Attachments

• 9E957163-CE6F-4EB5-8F07-3C84573D607B.jpeg
    9E957163-CE6F-4EB5-8F07-3C84573D607B.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 19
  • B87BE4D4-F8B0-4DCB-B5E9-53F82BF0E4F6.jpeg
    B87BE4D4-F8B0-4DCB-B5E9-53F82BF0E4F6.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 9644081D-6A30-42A7-A59A-68102DA2039B.jpeg
    9644081D-6A30-42A7-A59A-68102DA2039B.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 19

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
Not sure but they did put in an electric pump.

Attachments

• 9EA36373-1FE0-4E3E-A103-58C09549E6D8.jpeg
    9EA36373-1FE0-4E3E-A103-58C09549E6D8.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 27

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Hope ya got new fuel lines on your to do list.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
The pump is in the wrong place. Electric fuel pumps are pushers, not pullers. It should be as close to the tank (or in the tank) as you can get. Nice fuel line. What a mess.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Not sure but they did put in an electric pump.

Wow, just wow!

Clear vinyl tubing mounted over top the starter solenoid! Get that fixed before you burn it to the ground.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
This is the strange wiring with replacement ignition module

This is the stock type ignition module. At least you still have the factory plugs on the distributor side, I just had space connectors.

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
Ok.. better pics of fuel pump opening.

Attachments

• F0A7AB5D-75C1-4D42-9BB4-F423CF8B0771.jpeg
    F0A7AB5D-75C1-4D42-9BB4-F423CF8B0771.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 365ABD5C-A230-4E28-968E-3EA566078B0B.jpeg
    365ABD5C-A230-4E28-968E-3EA566078B0B.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 14
  • 4962B49A-B692-44BF-9E80-C8AF09C85F22.jpeg
    4962B49A-B692-44BF-9E80-C8AF09C85F22.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 14

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Well, I don't think anything fell in to your oil pan... I think it's pretty evident that someone installed the wrong cam! :shrug:

No sweat though, it's not that big of a deal to keep running an electric pump for a while.

Heck, you might decide to install fuel injection, and the mechanical pump would end up being useless anyway!

You can get a plate to cover that hole, and leave the fuel pump off. That might help avoid confusion for someone in the future.

Have fun! :cheers:

Edit: Like ag4ever mentioned, it would be a good idea to relocate that electric fuel pump. :wave:

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
Wow! Crazy! Yeah the electric pump works. It just needs clean gas to pump. And I do want to install fuel injection! I wanna research a bit but I was thinking of going that rout. But until then where should the pump be put along the line... I think he mentioned closer to the tank..?

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
And its weird... that some one would install the wrong cam.. Makes ya wander what all has been done and why?