• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

"Oscar" the '86 CJ-7

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Yes sir. Just trying to get up the nerve to try and get it inspected to be 100% legal.

You should have gone with Va antique tags....no inspection...ever.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Was thinking about it but didnt know how strict the police around would be with me driving it all over.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I have antique tags on three Jeeps, a truck, and my daily driver Accord will be eligible for them in a couple more years. Only thing is, in Arkansas in order to register Antique vehicles you must have at least one vehicle with regular tags, so I'll have to keep regular tags on my Accord even when it's old enough to qualify.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Yes sir. Just trying to get up the nerve to try and get it inspected to be 100% legal.

Get that thing inspected so you can drive down here and get these rockers for it!

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Get that thing inspected so you can drive down here and get these rockers for it!
Well i headed that way this morning. Had a turn signal stop working on the way and the wipers wouldnt work. Both those parts are on order but havent arrived yet. This waiting is like Christmas when i was a kid. Want my stuff darn it.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Question does anyone know if not having the swaybar connected will fail it for inspection.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Question does anyone know if not having the swaybar connected will fail it for inspection.

Only if they look....

Either connect it or remove it completely.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Removed the sway bar and installed a borrowed wiper switch from Truck and we have passed inspection for this year.

Still have an oil leak. I thaught that it was the oil pan gasket so i tightened up some bolts. It has slowed down but still a little leak. Well guess it would be a cj if i dodnt have some leaks to chase down.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
This guy must like me...
537a30eb9a57b02bd208d6c3047879ed-1.jpg

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Came down for some rockers and then this happened.
2a7f6511098268d0975829355ec42ad6-1.jpg
b31c392ce1eb3d5d67106d26ba636326-1.jpg

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
The story to go with the previous pictures.

So I head down to JeeperDD's to pick up some rockers and stretch the legs a little on the 7. I had been driving it all around town and all seemed to be good. I did have an oil leak at the front of the bell housing but I had attributed that to a poorly installed rear main seal I had done early in this build process. Had oil in the engine so down the road I went. About a hour into the trip something just wasn't right then all heck broke loose. Ungodly noise from the trans and i could no longer down shift. If I came to a stop I could go up but not down. So I limped the rest of the way with pretty much just 4th gear. Got to JeeperDD's place and he was pointing me right in the garage and had a spare transmission sitting in waiting. A few hours later back to a running jeep and we even played a little in the back 40.

Getting late in the day and time to make the trip back home. All seems well for about 40 min of the trip then i seem to be loosing power oh that's the problem we are over heating. Pulled into the gas station to get some coolant figured it must have passed an air bubble an was low. Not the case boiling over into the overflow. Let it cool off for a little while and fired it back up temp gauge much lower. Think OK air moving around should be good now. Also not the case made it about 20 more min and over heating again. OK maybe the thermostat is sticking. Well in my infinite wisdom I left the house in a jeep with no tools. I can guarantee that will never happen again. Passerby was nice enough to go get me some tools and water so I could pull the thermostat and the Game Warden even kept me company while i waited. T-Stat pulled filled with water all good off I go again. Make it to the next town and bam over heating again. Pull over and check the coolant hoses they are all very hard. Still not sure what the problem is but leaning to a clogged radiator but one thing i did know is I wasn't making it home without help. Called in reinforcements and Truck was kind enough to hook up the trailer and come get me.

All and all my half a day trip to pick up some parts turned into a 15 hour day and home on a trailer. :banghead:

Having Friends like JeeperDD and Truck is defiantly a benefit in the jeep world: thank you booth it would have been a long walk home.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Transmission is holding up well. Got some white steel rims refurbished so i dont tear up my chrome set and some new 33 in km2s before nationals this year. Swapped over a locker from an axle i had sitting around into the front of the 7 as well.

4d5d942cd719e993e58451cb36c6d1d5-1.jpg

Made it back from AL with only a few small issues. Most have been repaired and have a few more upgrades sitting on the bench right now. Next week will be upgrading to 6 bolt hubs and adding an aussie locker to the rear. Should be good to go for the annual trail ride in Oak Ridge here in VA.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
"Oscar" the '86 CJ-7

Nice !
Bearing and seals were good too ?

Last edited:

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Bearings were definitely good re packed them. Seals looked ok. Not leaking yet but will probably replace this winter.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Rear locker installed. Aussie locker. Pretty easy install. Didnt get any pictures too much gear oil on everything to be messing with the phone.