• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

OT: Retro Wrangler/Willys Pickup (long)

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Hey thanks to everyone that voted, I guess we stuffed the ballot box pretty well, because the Retro had the most votes in the Mar-k "favorite truck" contest. I think I win a t-shirt and a place on their home page: http://www.mar-k.com/

Thanks for the votes!!
Jeff

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Today is the 6th anniversary of the completion of the Retro Wrangler (post 505 of this thread, 9/19/2008). In that time it's been a daily driver, and completely trouble-free. I've put about 55,000 miles on it since completion, including off-road time at Easter Jeep Safari. I've done lots of hauling in it, having a pickup has been extremely handy over the years.

This photo was taken last month when I finished the installation of the CJ Grille Kit on my LJ; the Retro looks pretty much the same today as it did 6 years and 55,000 miles ago.

LJ8TJCompare1_zps222afeb9-1.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Couple of beauties there. It's a great feeling when your project is both cool and reliable. :bow:

Congrats on the anniversary!

scramble1983

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
tx
Congrats , they both still look amazing...now time to move on to other projects, how much for both?

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Congrats , they both still look amazing...now time to move on to other projects, how much for both?

What's that old saying... oh yeah - "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it" :)

I have moved on to other projects, I've got a bunch of other Jeep projects underway, but they're all off topic for this forum, so I haven't posted them here ;)

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Couple of beauties there. It's a great feeling when your project is both cool and reliable. :bow:

Congrats on the anniversary!

Randy,
And I'll thank you again for the suggestions you gave me back when I was figuring out the tailgate latch mechanism for the Retro - I implemented your cable idea way back then, and it's worked perfectly all these years. Thank you very much!
jeff

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Bumping this thread for anyone like me who's never seen it. Only up to page 10 so far.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Recently I sewed a "covered wagon" top for my fiberglass military replica trailer:

CoveredWagonDone_zps23px0qh8-1.jpg

I was swapping it off the trailer this morning because I need the trailer configured differently for another use today. I always wondered what the Retro would look like with a covered wagon top, so I set it in place in the bed of the Retro. It's not exactly the right size, but it gives an idea of what the Retro might look like with a cargo cover...

CoveredWagonRetro3_zpsvuvt6cku-1.jpg

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Gets the mind going. My truck will have a canvas "tent" on the back. Love the whole roll up sides thing and its overall functionality.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I don't really think of the Retro Wrangler as a tiny truck, but the other day a friend came by with his new F250 and I just had to snap this photo...

AlexTruck1_zpsutgkzhmj-1.jpg

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Yep tiny truck. We have this thing going on over here now where people are referring to their WKs as"trucks". Its a bit off track I think. (With this ^^^^ in mind)

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I don't really think of the Retro Wrangler as a tiny truck, but the other day a friend came by with his new F250 and I just had to snap this photo...

AlexTruck1_zpsutgkzhmj-1.jpg

That Ford is definitely a big boy in comparison.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Yep tiny truck. We have this thing going on over here now where people are referring to their WKs as"trucks". Its a bit off track I think. (With this ^^^^ in mind)
Isn't a new diesel f350 something like $100,000 over in Australia. A friend there has a horse farm and said the prices if of truck like that is insane so she has an older truck even though she would love to buy something newer.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
They are gaining in numbers here for sure, I'd like a Denali myself. My trucking company owner friend has a Harley edition F350 which 5 years ago cost him 160k. But then the brother in law bought a Land Cruiser Sahara which cost the same. Now our dollar has dwindled away to only 63 of your cents I believe my "truck" wantn days are over [emoji26]

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Our Canadian dollar took the same hit. I'm glad I bought my Powerwagon last year. Same truck today is significantly more.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
A Retro Wrangler milestone this evening:

Retro100k2_zpsr0vexk4o-1.jpg

It's been a pickup for about 75,000 miles now, and it's been a very trouble-free daily driver. Well, except for the trouble that you can't drive it anywhere without people stopping you in parking lots to ask about it :).

I took this photo a few miles before the photo above at a rest stop on the Ohio Turnpike, I'm on my way to Indiana for meetings about some new Jeep products. Lots of snow and road salt in the Pennsylvania mountains, so the Jeep is looking a little salty. It still washes up very nicely though, it's garage-kept and even though it's driven almost every day and used for lots of hauling duty, it only has minimal signs of daily use wear.

Retro100k1_zpszvb5uyq7-1.jpg

It's been trouble-free all these years, only routine maintenance and repairs of the sort one would expect as a Jeep gets on in miles - nothing out of the ordinary has troubled it.