• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Postal and Bantam tent trailer headed to SEMA 2018 & west coast tour

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Turns out that Rugged Ridge/Omix-Ada, who supplied a number of suspension parts and the LED lighting/rock lights for both the trailer and the Postal, has invited me to display the pair at SEMA 2018 :smokin: I plan to put the World Cab back on for that and have a couple other ideas for fun things to add along with that. The setup will be right outside the South hall lobby that's one of the main entrances and is the entrance that everyone going to the Offroad hall uses, so it looks like a really great spot. I'll have the tent popped open and everything set up, so it will be an imposing and eye-catching display between the tent and the World Cab :) In a sea of chromed-out pickups on neon 24" wheels and JLs with every possible bolt-on gizmo, I hope it manages to draw some attention.

If you've not seen any of the build articles to this point, they started in the Winter 2018 issue and I had the basic build start in the Spring issue: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com

This was camping in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan last week:
IMG_8270.JPG

So ultimately this is one of those great news/bad news deals in that it means I now have a crap ton of work to do on the Jeep to make it some version of "SEMA worthy."

The fun part (anyone who knows me won't be surprised) is that I am planning on making a trip out of it since I'll be driving it out there, staying in the tent along the way.

A little background here: since I bought the Postal in AK and drove it back to NC, I realized I'd driven through a big swath of the US states and western Canada. So I set out to drive "to and through" all of the US and Canada, meaning I had to drive (not trailer/unload/reload) to each state from home. I currently have the majority of the US knocked out, with only the western coast states, Nevada and Idaho left out west, then the very southeast and the very northeast. So going to Vegas will give me the chance to finish the west.

My current thinking is to break the trip out (~25 hours per Google) into maybe three days rather than trying to knock it out in two really long days (also gives me a little cushion in case of issues) and then leave Vegas heading NW to drive over to the very north end of the Pacific Coast Highway (something I always wanted to do when I checked off CA) and then loop up through OR and WA, picking up my uncle at his place in the Cascades, and then coming back home across, ID, MT and the upper midwest and down through the upper peninsula of Michigan. All of that is speculative, but I can't resist the chance to take care of hitting the western states knowing I'll have the tent to stay in.

For the work on the Postal, I don't have a formal list yet and this is subject to significant change:
Regear: the 4.56 gears aren't great anymore now that I'm on 35s anyway and towing means a lot of 3rd gear at highway speeds on any kind of grade. Ok in Michigan, but not for any real elevation.

AeroTank 33 gal fuel tank: If I want any reasonable distance between gas stations, I have to do something with this. Towing definitely magnifies the issue.

Lots of stripping/painting: there's no way I can get into rust fixing, so all the armor I used to cover the rust will at least need to look better along with the old school Runck bumpers. New armor isn't out of the question

Front bumper/winch: I'll swap on a RR winch and front bumper for the show.

Springs: With the World Cab, full cage, armor and towing, the BDS springs just aren't up to the task in the rear. They ride great, but have already flattened out too much with all the add-a-leafs I can manage, so I either need to get custom springs or get a couple more BDS rear springs and try to build my own rear packs.

Roof rack w/lights: many folks will laugh at this, but ever since I saw one on a World Cab years back, I've wanted to do some sort of rack setup on the World Cab and this is the perfect excuse. It's SEMA, so there will probably have to be a 50" LED bar on it in order for them to let me on the grounds :rolleyes: Hoping to hide it well though in the front of the rack.

Road Shower install: this was already planned and is the last item on the current trailer build plan. A neat gravity/air pressure shower unit you mount on a rack/trailer to have solar-heated water for rinsing things or showering.

All sorts of small stuff: this is what got me when prepping the LJ for SEMA, there end up being lots of little things that take enough time to be a PITA

Time to get to work...

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Sounds like a great trip.
It always seems to be easier to get things done when you "have to" rather than "want to".
The top is going to be a great addition to the look.

Your situation sounds like the perfect candidate for custom springs.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Your situation sounds like the perfect candidate for custom springs.

I know... I have a friend with a tire scale. I need to get the top on it and go over to his place to get those corner weights and just do it right.

I get a funny version of the CJ lean because I sit on the side that torques down under power when moving forward. When I shift into gear with my foot on the brake, my side squats notably every single time. Custom springs would be the forever fix, hopefully.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Cool, I will be at SEMA, look forward to seeing in person

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Lots of stripping/painting: there's no way I can get into rust fixing, so all the armor I used to cover the rust will at least need to look better along with the old school Runck bumpers. New armor isn't out of the question.

I have a set of Poison Spyder crusher corners with 3" flare and rockers with the tube bumper. I bought them brand new about 5 years ago and they have just been sitting in my garage ever since. I'm not sure if I want to use them on my Scrambler project or not. PM me if you're interested.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Cool, I will be at SEMA, look forward to seeing in person

Can't recall, have we met up before?

You'll be able to see exactly how much work still needs to be done on my Postal :banghead:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I have a set of Poison Spyder crusher corners with 3" flare and rockers with the tube bumper. I bought them brand new about 5 years ago and they have just been sitting in my garage ever since. I'm not sure if I want to use them on my Scrambler project or not. PM me if you're interested.

Sent.

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
Congratulations. The last couple of years the south hall has had very large (unrealistic but cool) trucks with UTVs mounted on the bed at that entrance. It will be good to see a real life vehicle front and center.

I will be there all week- if we want to get a meet and greet scheduled around some barley/hops/malt beverages....

If you have some needs as far as smaller parts I have an extensive stash of parts that were purchased but never installed(changes in plans) that I would gladly box up and ship out if needed.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Roof rack w/lights: many folks will laugh at this, but ever since I saw one on a World Cab years back, I've wanted to do some sort of rack setup on the World Cab and this is the perfect excuse. It's SEMA, so there will probably have to be a 50" LED bar on it in order for them to let me on the grounds :rolleyes: Hoping to hide it well though in the front of the rack.

Time to get to work...

Thinking exocage? Or attached to the cab? I’m dreaming of sexy aluminum!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Thinking exocage? Or attached to the cab? I’m dreaming of sexy aluminum!

I’m actually taking right now with JCR Offroad here in MI about using one of their XJ racks that mounts to the rain gutter. The World Cabs have a super solid and wide rain gutter.

This one in specific because it will let me mount four big Rugged Ridge LED lights on the front below the upper rack bar (hanging down) that keeps me from having to do the dreaded light bar and should look pretty good.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/RCK/XJRK-P.html

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Congratulations. The last couple of years the south hall has had very large (unrealistic but cool) trucks with UTVs mounted on the bed at that entrance. It will be good to see a real life vehicle front and center.

I will be there all week- if we want to get a meet and greet scheduled around some barley/hops/malt beverages....

If you have some needs as far as smaller parts I have an extensive stash of parts that were purchased but never installed(changes in plans) that I would gladly box up and ship out if needed.

Thanks. That week is utter insanity for me. It takes every day all day at the show to get around upper south (this year will likely be impossible with the JL stuff) and I end up as wrecked as I ever get. Then I have various industry functions in the evenings that end up going late.

We could try to set up a night but I may have to beg off once my schedule is figured out. We can also try to do it on the fly once there, but that’s been a nightmare for me in the past.

Maybe I just need to put on a JPFreek gathering and y’all are all invited ?

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
No where in this thread is there mention of an LS swap. :bacon::bacon::bacon:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
LOL. I don’t think we can pull it off....when do you have to depart for ‘Vegas?