• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Project BT3-Caboose

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Forgot one photo, I lengthened the tongue with a receiver tube to be able to use a Max Coupler, so I got to test out the new turning angle. I also had to back the trailer twice today and it was SO much nicer to deal with. Not nearly the twitchy little bastard it used to be.

E236F639-1923-4E86-A8FA-7B84D3B5587E.jpg

timothy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
baltimore
State
oh
:drool: :popcorn: missed this thread till now. Can’t wait 2 see this in person. Might u b bringing this 2 Sand Blast?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Rack bars, fenders and trailer tongue painted (too damn cold for paint to set up properly and I’m impatient) and everything reassembled. Time to roll it out in the yard for the first night of camping!

B7F4E5F9-DBD8-4F01-84B2-FA78910A27AF.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
My lodging for tonight. I was rushing to beat he sunset, so I didn’t get the annex sorted as well as it could be. Stoked at how it’s working so far and the tent is ENORMOUS.

A3CCC678-0310-4BBE-A0E4-067E64D3ACC3.jpg

D0E0B31B-853A-4601-A9D6-394EBE93D82B.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow! How about some inside pics?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Too dark inside when I tried. This is the annex, but hard to tell how big it is with nothing in there for scale.

3D1EEE51-0389-414C-949C-3CE2EE6D1C9F.jpg

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Central Air and forced air heat? lol :wave:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
There are forced hot air tent heaters available (or there used to be for sure). Walmart sells a tent with provisions for a small window mount style a/c unit.:shrug:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
No sir. This tent does have two screened panels in the roof with zip flys that you can open up if the main rain fly is off. Should be good for ventilation in the summer. The ceiling is also way tall.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Went right by it I guess, or I'm blind. Thanks. Pretty cool tent. First one I've seen with the ladder inside:headbang:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Took a trip to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes as a test for the new trailer build and it happily did incredibly well. I extended the tongue a couple feet and it still towed perfectly while allowing me to open the TnT Customs spare tire carrier and tailgate with the trailer attached. Incredibly impressed with the tire carrier BTW. I had to trim a couple inches off of the adjustable mount for the tire so that I could suck it back against the swing arm for stability. I mounted it to the right to minimize leverage on the swing arm and increase visibility. I like the spot, I can easily see over it in the rear view mirror. I set up the depth of the tire mount face so that the lugnuts actually suck the tire back against the swingarm. I will be drilling holes for a through-bolt on the tire mount tube just to be 100% certain it can't come loose while wheeling (it didn't budge on the dunes.)

IMG_6343.jpg

I didn't load the trailer down much being the first trip out, but the Postal managed it great and it got good when I quit being cautious and started running 72-75 (speed limit 70 with common speed ~80.) With my essentially too-high 4.56 gearing, it ran in OD on level ground and slight inclines but dropped down to 4th easily when I leaned on it. I found it was taking an annoying amount of time/pedal to downshift when I was running 65. Once I had that sorted it was AWESOME.

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

Set it up next to Toby's (Mr Beep's) place and stayed in it the first two nights. The 40-55 MPH winds forecast the last two days we were there forced me into taking it down. Not quite ready for that much of a stress test until I have some more time with the setup.

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg

Using a temporary stabilizing jack setup, as you can see, until I get everything on/installed and fully understand the weight distribution and where things are mounted. The trailer did not rock back onto the jack once that I noticed nor in the test camping I did in our yard before the trip. I'm super happy with the weight balance given what's left to install in the tongue box as I'm not yet leaving the fridge installed in the back during travel until the electronics are in. I have mocked it up in the garage with the battery on the tongue and the fridge on and I love where it is.

As an example of the space in the lower annex, we set up my daughter with a cot in it so she had her own "room". With my wife and I, her and the dog, there was TONS of room.

IMG_6408.jpg

With the crap, freezing weather, we didn't get to put the kitchen or awning to use but I'm more excited than ever to have this thing fully kitted out.

The items left for the project are:
-tongue box for battery/electronics
-Odyssey house battery
-Redarc solar charger
-Renogy solar suitcase for charging
-Redarc electric trailer brake controller and electric drum brakes
-LED cube lights on rack uprights
-rock lights for trailer and Postal
-LED interior lights under tent
-Trigger 12V switch system to wire up/control all that stuff

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Eric, apparently you stole my trailer . Can I have it back now ? Freaking nice trailer. See what I did there ?? I'm kicking myself for selling the M415 last year and the T3C the year before that. Now the price has gone through the clouds.