Sad day for a long time Jeep owner.

Elvis

Basic User
City
Berthoud
State
Co
I remember seeing my first jeep at the New York auto show-it was a 1984 CJ 7,
The giant speedometer,the weird knobs,drain holes for water in the tub-I fell in automotive love the first time I sat in it right there,I was not even old enough to drive.
I still have the Black and white catalogue of new cars that year from The NY auto show.
I fear Jeep will never be that cool again.
But I was lucky to have a CJ8-the coolest Jeep ever made IMO.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
All it takes is money and you can have the coolest jeep ever. If I was going to spend the kind of money it takes to own a new jeep these days, I would just speed that money on a nice fixed up CJ of my choosing. I don't want all that new electronic crap all these new vehicles have anyway. I'm just saying...............

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I remember seeing my first jeep at the New York auto show-it was a 1984 CJ 7,
The giant speedometer,the weird knobs,drain holes for water in the tub-I fell in automotive love the first time I sat in it right there,I was not even old enough to drive.
I still have the Black and white catalogue of new cars that year from The NY auto show.
I fear Jeep will never be that cool again.
But I was lucky to have a CJ8-the coolest Jeep ever made IMO.
The only Jeep I've ever purchased from a dealer was an 85 CJ8. Went in looking to buy new since I'd just graduated from basic training. The only "Jeep" that was even considered was the YJ. I sat and talked to the salesman for a couple hours but the YJ never grew on me. He finally asked what I WAS interested in buying. As he was saying it an all black Scrambler rolled by the window. I pointed and said I'll buy THAT!?!
He went and checked and sure enough, it was being traded in. That is my "one" Jeep.. the one I never should have let go. Even my current 83 Scrambler doesn't hold a candle to it.
Times are changing. I hate to admit it but I'm old fashioned. I prefer simple, easy to work on jeeps. Sadly my days and people who think similarly are numbered.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I concur. It is hard to watch and kinda depressing. For me, I'll just stick with the old stuff and call it good. I can't change global economics by myself.
I'd much rather toodle around in a fully restored MB/GPW than any of the plastic junk on the dealership lots today. Funny thing is, park a WWll Jeep next to a compass or patriot and ask a child to point to the "Jeep".

lol. I love that post right there!:cheers:

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
All it takes is money and you can have the coolest jeep ever. If I was going to spend the kind of money it takes to own a new jeep these days, I would just speed that money on a nice fixed up CJ of my choosing. I don't want all that new electronic crap all these new vehicles have anyway. I'm just saying...............
That is so true! I was just looking at the auction thread where some really nice Scramblers sold for $20-30K, and I was thinking that's a lot of money... BUT, it's only half the cost of a new JKU!

Even those of you who have spent north of $40K on a full resto-mod are better off than having bought new. Sure, you're missing the warranty... but you built it yourself, so you wouldn't trust a dealer shop to fix it anyway! :thumbsup:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
That is so true! I was just looking at the auction thread where some really nice Scramblers sold for $20-30K, and I was thinking that's a lot of money... BUT, it's only half the cost of a new JKU!

Even those of you who have spent north of $40K on a full resto-mod are better off than having bought new. Sure, you're missing the warranty... but you built it yourself, so you wouldn't trust a dealer shop to fix it anyway! :thumbsup:
This^ maybe I'm weird or cheap (or weird AND cheap??) but I just don't see the value in a new car. Buy a beater that's rust free. Send it to a shop for 20k and you'll have essentially a new car but without the new car depreciation and costs.
We bought my wife's 91 grand wagoneer for $1500 bucks. Spent a few hundred getting it to run and going through all the stuff that happens when a Jeep sits 10 years in a field. If we sank another 5-10k in it we could make it amazing. And our tags would still be cheap, emissions not needed, and it has a cool factor not easily found in a new vehicle at any cost.

Elvis

Basic User
City
Berthoud
State
Co
Your thoughts are absolutely correct if higher safety standards are not an issue for you.
Statistics don't lie.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
As eluded to above take the money you'd be prepared to spend on a new Feep, Nopar, Chreep, whatever, and sink it into your CJ8 with all Made in USA parts and you're GTG. Everyone's doing it, think Icon. Then let the "fraudsters" go about their business and don't look back.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I have already done that,My problem is that my favorite jeep is my next one.
Ha-ha... I hear you loud and clear!

I'm hoping to break the cycle with this one, though. My friends don't believe me when I say this will be my "forever" Jeep, but I honestly think it will be.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had a very wordy and thoughtful reply typed, but then I decided to dump it. Since this is all personal opinion, I'll keep is short.

I hate emissions testing/standards. I feel like it's a scam to force an agenda, and to line the pockets of those involved. I've built engines years ago that passed emissions standards without half of the mandated equipment. I'm not against clean air at all. A clean engine is an efficient engine. I am against using emissions standards to force manufacturers to lean towards alternative technologies that cost more and don't work as well.

Do I think what VW and Fiat did is wrong? Yes, breaking any rule is wrong. Would I buy a VW or a Fiat? Heck yeah, as long as it fulfills my needs. I don't look to a celebrity for guidance- only entertainment. I don't care what the president elect did 10 years ago- I care if he's going to be an effective leader now that he's elected. And I don't look at car manufacturers for moral superiority- I look for a car that suits me. Off my soap box now.

Elvis

Basic User
City
Berthoud
State
Co
I agree with you in theory.
But,A liar is a liar.
VW Will commit fraud again,not on Emissions,but on something else-Why wouldn't they?
Sales are up even though they bet that its customers are fools.
Why wouldn't they put an internal defeat device on airbags,or anti-lock brakes?-or anything else that they are having trouble engineering.
They could put a defeat device on something that may kill you next time.
If Fiat committed Fraud with the Grand Cherokee diesel,then Jeep is Dead to me,and its best days are behind it.
As for the President-Elect,this is not a forum for Politics.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I agree with you in theory.
But,A liar is a liar.
VW Will commit fraud again,not on Emissions,but on something else-Why wouldn't they?
Sales are up even though they bet that its customers are fools.
Why wouldn't they put an internal defeat device on airbags,or anti-lock brakes?-or anything else that they are having trouble engineering.
They could put a defeat device on something that may kill you next time.
If Fiat committed Fraud with the Grand Cherokee diesel,then Jeep is Dead to me,and its best days are behind it.
As for the President-Elect,this is not a forum for Politics.
Since you broached the topic of politics by creating a thread where the main subject is how an auto manufacturer defied our government (run by politicians) and its regulations... I don't think he was out of line in connecting the dots. If you feel otherwise I'm sure the Mods will be happy to remove the thread.

Elvis

Basic User
City
Berthoud
State
Co
Thats an interesting take on this thread.
VW/Audi and now it seems Jeep/Ram/Fiat did not defy the Government,They outright defrauded it,and Defrauded its own customers.
This Thread is about why One Should trust that fraudulent company and how it directly affects the Jeep brand.
I did not broach politics-and I did not talk about any leaders.
Some people just can't help themselves.
I just want to purchase a new Jeep and looked to this forum for insight to see if any long time jeep devotees feel conflicted as I do.
Keep your politics to yourself.
I would love to here from a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel owner.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Nice!! How do you like the type R?
Best quality, utility, and performance package for the money. Love it. Plus it's understated. If the police see that little orange line on the front of the GTI they start looking for excuses to give tickets. The R flies under the radar.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I also look at this a little differently. There's not an evil Mr. Potter sitting in a room plotting this stuff up. sometimes people at big companies make stupid decisions based on guidance from their management. I'm sure the book that will certainly come out someday will be an interesting read.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
You cannot tell me that Scrambler owners are not interested in the new Jeep pick up coming.
I do not mind push back,I am looking for a reason to trust a company enough to purchase another new vehicle from them.
Right now all I have to hope for is that the EPA is wrong,and Fiat is in compliance.
VW denied it till they admitted it.
I'm not. Nothing "Jeep" makes has interested me since around the late 80's, maybe early 90's (last of the FSJ's and the I don't view the YJ"s with quite as much distain as I used to).

Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) and Chrysler, IMO, do not and have never make anything worth driving. While I realize my AMC Jeeps are far from the peak of build quality, they are Americana wrapped in a vehicle. If I want a good vehicle I'm buying a Honda or Toyota.

Zero interest in owning anything labeled "Jeep" anymore, and couldn't care less what Fiat and Chrysler did to circumvent the idiotic policies the government puts on vehicles these days. Had they gotten away with it, I would have applauded them. Since they got caught...oh well. Zero ____ given.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Best quality, utility, and performance package for the money. Love it. Plus it's understated. If the police see that little orange line on the front of the GTI they start looking for excuses to give tickets. The R flies under the radar.
I just wish the sold it in Sportwagon size like they do in Germany!!