• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scout the Scrambler

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
If I didn't already have a fuel injected 351W and a Novak AX15 which perform great I would buy the 3 litre 4 cylinder Toyota turbo diesel with 5 speed and Toyota transfer case from that Japanese motor importer in LA. The whole assembly with 60,000 miles is only $5500.

I had that same engine in my Hilux back in Australia and I loved it. It would be STUNNING in an 8. It pulled like a school boy and I averaged 35 mpg in my hilux; which was heavier than my 8 (though significantly more aerodynamic) so I think 30 mpg + would be very attainable.

I put a 5.7 (350ci) vortec in a Land Cruiser back in 2001 in front of an H55 5 speed and I loved it. Very good, versatile engine.

STSFCTN

Silver Member
City
Centennial
State
CO
jC, I have an extra 5.0 engine in the garage that will bolt up to that bell housing as well as the proper throw out bearing from Novak. We could be twinsies.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
LS swaps get the most attention and support as everyone is doing them. I don't know what your emissions laws are in your area, but that is another big consideration. I used a 4.3 on my 8. It isn't the most exciting or popular swap as most feel its missing 2 cylinders. However it has plenty of power, is compact and lighter than most V8s.

With a Dana 30 and AMC 20 (even with 1 piece axles) I would worry about longevity behind a healthy V8. The 4.3 does have a fair amount more power than the 4.2, but it isn't a V8.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
LS swaps get the most attention and support as everyone is doing them. I don't know what your emissions laws are in your area, but that is another big consideration. I used a 4.3 on my 8. It isn't the most exciting or popular swap as most feel its missing 2 cylinders. However it has plenty of power, is compact and lighter than most V8s.

With a Dana 30 and AMC 20 (even with 1 piece axles) I would worry about longevity behind a healthy V8. The 4.3 does have a fair amount more power than the 4.2, but it isn't a V8.
The 4.3 is a great engine- good power in a small package. They can be had in a simpler TBI version, along with the newer CPI then CSFI systems. The newest and last system, the EcoTec3 utilizes direct injection and is rated 285hp/305ftlbs which is right up there! For a lightweight Jeep with reasonable tires and gearing, that would probably get great economy with more than enough power. If there’s another project in my shop, I’m hoping it will be a Jeepster with a DI 4.3.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Spent some time Saturday wrapping my head around the dash wiring and painless harness, with college football on in the background of course. I picked up a cheap spare dash off CL so I can mock everything up. Question for the group though, what's the best way to test individual components/circuits on the "bench" like this? Hook the battery up to positive and negative bus bars and the hot and ground circuit wires to those?

Attachments

• 1631025380805.png
    1631025380805.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Spent some time Saturday wrapping my head around the dash wiring and painless harness, with college football on in the background of course. I picked up a cheap spare dash off CL so I can mock everything up. Question for the group though, what's the best way to test individual components/circuits on the "bench" like this? Hook the battery up to positive and negative bus bars and the hot and ground circuit wires to those?
I tested my lights that way. When I was working at the dealership we had a “gauge box”. It had a few leads and dials to vary resistance to check gauge accuracy. I wish I had on of those myself.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Progress on the dash wiring, got the gauges and radio wired correctly and tested. I recorded a video of the sound but it was taken down because of copyright, thanks whoever owns the rights to the Zeppelin catalog! I don't have an oil pressure gauge b/c I'm still leaning towards electrification and in that case that spot will be occupied by a battery monitor. I also have the dash indicator lights out to swap in LEDs.

1631552498130.png

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Just about ready to pick up from paint! The color is the metallic green used on 2020+ Grand Cherokees (and Dodge Challengers apparently). I also had them do the tinted Raptor liner on the interior since it was taken down to bare metal and sealed/primed first. I know that's a bit divisive but I do plan to drive the wheels off this thing and I'd go mad scratching the paint on the floors. The full doors were still being polished otherwise I would have grabbed a pic of those too. Hopefully I'll have it home this weekend.

20210921_121907.jpg20210921_121913.jpg20210921_121854.jpg20210921_121901.jpg20210921_121923.jpg20210915_153329.jpg

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That thing is farking beautiful!!!!! I love that green.

And I love my raptor lined interior; only way to go. I drive mine rain or shine and the peace of mind is great. Just today I got dumped on watching my son's football practice. I just enjoyed the cool change.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Have a 4.0 to go into the scrambler...but my neighbor is trying to sell me his 4.3 vortex with all the fixings. I know nothing about chev/gmc engines. Have a v6 in an 04 Sierra plow truck. Gutless but does plow and pull the pontoon boat every year.
No way I’d go through all of that for anything but a 5.3 LS. FWIW.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
F8 Green, IIRC. My all time favorite green. Mine was going to be that color until I found another local Scrambler was painted that color.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
The chance of seeing 2 Scramblers around here is like 1 in a million. The chance of seeing 2 the same color would be like 1 in a gazillion trillion wazillion or maybe more.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
The chance of seeing 2 Scramblers around here is like 1 in a million. The chance of seeing 2 the same color would be like 1 in a gazillion trillion wazillion or maybe more.
See? You smart rocket scientists can come up with those statistics off the top of your head.

I was just thinking it would be, like, really rare.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
That's just the way it is when you are a Genieass, and are a legend in you own mind. That education in a third world country under the crown didn't help either.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That's just the way it is when you are a Genieass, and are a legend in you own mind. That education in a third world country under the crown didn't help either.
Darn it.I thought I'd overcome my Australian edumacation after living here for so many years.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
F8 Green, IIRC. My all time favorite green. Mine was going to be that color until I found another local Scrambler was painted that color.
That's the one. I didn't realize it was used as far back as it was. And yes, definitely can't do the same as another one in town.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
There’s one a few doors down from me- Rick’s Anvil Grey one. There are about 12 or so local here in Central Oregon, and once Super 8 moves this way there will be 14!!!

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I have been looking into the Cummins R2.8 to put in front of my HD AX15.

160 horsepower and 310 ft pounds of torque, it only weighs 520 pounds or so complete. It seems like a really good combination. Have you looked into this? It seems to be about the only way you could make this Scrambler even better.

As soon as we finish our kitchen remodel I'm thinking I may do this.