• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So I was able to get the panels and lower support where I want them, but it presents a new challenge in making a ne w mount as it is much higher than the rear and so this probably will need to be custom fabricated to take that weight... the lower support really ties it all together which is great, but it does present more challenges.

I also have to remove the tailgate hinges mounts as they will just rattle around in there as you drive ;)

NOTE: The level is just there to keep it all in place so I can measure to make sure it is where I want it to be. I am pretty sure we are where we want to be.

cb

20181212_191134_resized.jpg

20181212_185959_resized.jpg

20181212_190014_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Not much time, but was able to figure out the mounting... took 2 1" body spacers, hollowed it out a bit and stacked it... I think it will work!

20181213_184728_resized.jpg

20181213_184734_resized.jpg

20181213_184738_resized.jpg

20181213_184748_resized.jpg

Comparison of one to the other... this is a normal sized one... so the front will get doubled up and it should be fine as this is to hold it in place, not much for structural support as there is another mount about 6 inches from it at the natural drop down to the front floor of the CJ8.

20181213_184753_resized.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Forgot this one...

20181213_190411_resized.jpg

I hope to clean up the frame, tack it in place and make sure it is all level when socked down and call it a day.... well, then start building out the back more and getting back to the rollbar setup.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
We had our annual Christmas Party Open house, so a lot of cleaning, cooking, and baking and then cleaning again... so not much in terms of Jeep work... but I got a few things done.

New mounts for the front as well as now the support member is back in place and cut to the right length and drilled (the old one wasn't correct, just a placeholder).

All in all, things are moving along but we will see how the time goes... a lot of things to do around this time of the year.

cb

20181214_184215_resized.jpg

20181214_184238_resized.jpg

20181214_184252_resized.jpg

20181214_184256_resized.jpg

20181214_185153_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
The mounts are tacked in place with just enough to hold them, but will be cut off and transferred to the actual truck frame and the other ones cut off that are no longer needed. The mock up frame will then be sanded and painted in those places before I sell it when I am done.

I mocked up an idea for the front piece, not sure how I can get that to work yet... still wrapping my brain around it.

cb

20181216_122504_resized.jpg

20181216_152409_resized.jpgThis was where I cut the support and needed to bend it, so I used some heat and the old piece and was able to bend it over easily... I don't have a brake to use so I improvised.

20181216_152420_resized.jpg

20181216_161101_resized.jpg

20181216_161116_resized.jpg

20181216_170024_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Only a few minutes, so drilled out the area where the the tailgate would normally go into so it won't rattle around...will weld/body work those before the panel goes on.
I had to put it all back together to figure out where the roll bars are now and figure out how to make a plate to support them.
I can't do the rollbar extensions until I get those rollbars where they belong... right now side to side they are about 1/2-3/4" off, so I was trying to figure out where it is tweaked.

cb

20181217_181808_resized.jpg

20181217_182350_resized.jpg

20181217_184239_resized.jpg

20181217_184250_resized.jpg

20181217_185528_resized.jpg

20181217_190751_resized.jpg

I really like the idea of the Jeep tailgate piece as the front wall... I probably will end up with a CJ style toolbox that would end up covering it, but it would be cool to have it there none the less. It just doesn't really fit too well right now.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Just a little plate making... I didn't have long enough pieces, only a 12x12 piece, so I made my own... as getting bigger pieces were too much money.

20181219_164536_resized.jpg

20181219_172518_resized.jpg

20181219_174018_resized.jpg

20181219_175001_resized.jpg

20181219_181440_resized.jpg

20181219_182851_resized.jpg

20181219_182906_resized.jpg

I will cut the original feet off and make holes to mount this and then get them mounted onto the plates.

Basically the feet are rusted/rotted on the bottom and they aren't sitting all that level, so just start new and do it this way and get them just where I want and it will look somewhat factory.

cb

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I really like the idea of the Jeep tailgate piece as the front wall... I probably will end up with a CJ style toolbox that would end up covering it, but it would be cool to have it there none the less. It just doesn't really fit too well right now.

Is it sacrilege to suggest just cutting out the "Jeep" from the tailgate and simply welding it into the front wall made out of sheet metal? Maybe use the top tub edge from a scrap tub side? I dig the idea of having it up there.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Is it sacrilege to suggest just cutting out the "Jeep" from the tailgate and simply welding it into the front wall made out of sheet metal? Maybe use the top tub edge from a scrap tub side? I dig the idea of having it up there.

Or a CJ5 non-tailgate back-end... that's what I imagined going there. :shrug:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If you had a bead roller you could make the panel, inner and or outer, with some ribs like the floor panel and leave the center flat for the Jeep logo. I've got a hand crank Niagra. Pexto make one, too. And even Harbor Freight has a budge priced one. Small ones don't have a very deep throat but will still add some character and stiffness to an otherwise flat panel. Beads above and below the Jeep logo would look good. I like that you are able to use Jeep panels and parts where you need them to put this project together. Kind of like your own personal Rubix Cube. Love watching your progress.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Always wanted to remove the Jeep logo on the tailgate and weld in the “WILLYS” logo. Not for the purist, but it will make people pause and think for a moment......

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Always wanted to remove the Jeep logo on the tailgate and weld in the “WILLYS” logo. Not for the purist, but it will make people pause and think for a moment......
Get one of those aftermarket tailgates with no logo, have the willys script laser cut and sweat or solder it on.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH

The black tailgate that has been cut is a repop, so I am not as concnered... it is not so much the top as it is the pronounced bump out of the Jeep letter area that makes it inches think in the middle.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Or a CJ5 non-tailgate back-end... that's what I imagined going there. :shrug:

I have an old CJ5 non-tailgate tub... the differences in the top edge along with the overall height make it somewhat of a non starter... a lot of differences and nothing would line up correctly after taking measurements... a top edge would have to be grafted on and although it could work, like all the other solutions, there is just fabrication that needs to be done.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Speaking of CJ5's, I do like the look of the old CJ5 opening for the heater vent on the early 76-78 ones, as it is smaller, but the heater unit is different and molding that in might be more work than is worth it... but sadly I don't even have one of those cowls.

cb

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

If someone doesn't know what I am talking about... it is the cowl/fresh air opening and it is smaller
cb2.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Progress is progress... got the plates welded up and holes drilled... next up tear it all apart, fit the plates and get to work on the rollbars!
It was good to get back out to the garage after all the holiday festivities, but in reality, it won't be a ton of time until next week sometime.
Just felt goot to get something accomplished... been way too relaxed lately.

cb

20181227_183606_resized.jpg

20181227_191317_resized.jpg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Yeah you really have been slacking off lately ! Not nearly as good as me though. :) Keep up the great work !