Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Now for the shifters. The Jeep has a twin stick 4.3 Atlas t-case, a 2.77 geared KluneV with a 700R4 driving it all. So 4 shifters have to fit in there some where.
Base plate of the Atlas and KluneV shifters. I am adapting the KluneV to the 3rd shifter for an Atlas 4sp t-case.
P1020183resized.jpg
Where it will sit between the seats.
P1020184resized.jpg

P1020185resized.jpg

P1020187resized.jpg

P1020188resized.jpg
Working on the tunnel cover for the Auto shifter and where the Atlas cables will come out.
P1020190Resized.jpg
The Auto shifter is a Lokar floor mount cable shifter.
P1020194resized.jpg

P1020198resized.jpg

P1020202resized.jpg

P1020207resized.jpg

And as usual there are more pictures in the link in the signature.

Last edited:

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
More shifter work done. Working the shifter end of the cables and routing through the tower.
P1020213resized.jpg

P1020217resized.jpg

P1020218resized.jpg

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ah, I was confused by the pattern for the twin stick shifter boot on the front cover. Very cool idea.

Love everything about this thread.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Confused a few with that one, a couple of my buddies I sent pictures to had the same look of what the..... is he doing with 6 shifters!

I wish I was assembling all this for the last time.......The body has to come off and go back in the rotisserie at least one more time, but I am trying to make it only one more time. Trying to put every piece of stuff I have on it before taking it a part again for final body work and paint. Then while it is in the rotisserie I want to get all the mechanical stuff finished on the frame like brakes, brake lined, fuel lines, air lines and just before the body is ready to go back on drop the trany for rebuild and seal and fill the KluneV, T-case, oil change for the engine, so once the body goes back on only the wiring is left...I hope!

Last edited:

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
A few more little things done.
Jeep Air Heat/AC unit mounting figured out
P1020219resized.jpg
M.O.R.E. Dual battery tray for a JK mounted, just used the tray there were other brackets I didn't use.
P1020221resized.jpg
Home make supports for the battery tray
P1020223resized.jpg
Cross braces on the roll cage for the shoulder harnesses of the 4 point harness I will be using.
P1020230resized.jpg

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Been getting a little ahead while waiting for a storage area to be built to put parts when I take this apart again

So I started on the front bumper.
Base plate from A to Z fab and 8274 winch mounting plate from TMR
P1020505 resized.jpg
Hood hoop from Blue Torch Fab. I didn't have the tube and this was cheaper that buying the tube and bend it here.
P1020511 resized.jpg
All tacked up.
P1020513 resized.jpg
Welded out and ready to go to sandblaster.
P1020516 resized.jpg
76-80 era brake booster mounted
P1020517 resized.jpg
Same era brake/clutch and steering bracket installed. Clutch pedal removed, running an auto.
P1020518 resized.jpg

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Having trouble deciding if I'd rather have this build or one of the FC builds, but glad I get to see them all :drool:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I'm sorry if i missed it... Is that a TBI 4.3L v6? Obviously it would be different for me in an 8, but how did it fit? Looks like factory manifolds may have clearance.

Beautiful work on the cage and metal fab.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
It is a 4.3GM V6. TBI late 80's the block is stamped 89. I am using at 2000TJ frame and I used an Advance Adapter Kit for installing a V6 into that year TJ. Using the AA kit and how much I stretched the frame (8.5" bring it to 101.5 in C to C of the axles) I ended up sliding the tub back over the rear cross member by about a 1/2 to make a little extra clearance between the fire wall and the distributor. The AA kit instructions for the TJ said "one might have to beat the fire wall back a little to make clearance for the distributor". And that would have worked with this body as well. But being I could cheat at the other end I did it that way.

Yes it has the stock manifolds and they are inside the frame rails, I have not tried running exhaust pipes so I don't know what that will bring yet with the front drive shaft being on the drivers side. It may take a hot rod style through the frame trick but don't know yet. It will be coming up soon though. The body is fixing to come back off the frame and go back in the rotisserie, while it is in there this time I am shoot to get all the lines and mechanical stuff done on the frame so it will be ready when the tube is painted and ready to go back on.

Last edited:

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
BigWalton, I have often thought about an FC build. I think it would be cool to build it heavy duty enough to carry a popup truck camper to cross county back country trips.

inverse121

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dutchess County
State
NY
Yes it has the stock manifolds and they are inside the frame rails, I have not tried running exhaust pipes so I don't know what that will bring yet with the front drive shaft being on the drivers side. It may take a hot rod style through the frame trick but don't know yet. It will be coming up soon though. The body is fixing to come back off the frame and go back in the rotisserie, while it is in there this time I am shoot to get all the lines and mechanical stuff done on the frame so it will be ready when the tube is painted and ready to go back on.
A simple solution if you are not trying to eek every little bit of HP out of it, is to find a passenger side manifold off of an early 3.8 chevy v6 (think malibu, monte carlo, el camino) and reverse it so it exits toward the front of the engine. Then you can go down and around the front of the oil pan and Y pipe it into the passenger side exhaust.

I have also done it with passenger side factory tube manifolds off a later 4.3, but I prefer the cast iron manifolds off a 3.8.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Great Idea I will keep that in mind, I hope I am not that far a way from getting the body of and starting an the chassis again.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
A little more work on things while I get ready to start painting and coating things.
Cut holes in the after market dash for Tach, Clock, and Trans Temp Gauge.
All the Stuff in the dash is SpeedHut.
P1020519resized.jpg
Cut hole in dash for my sPOP switch panel.
P1020521resized.jpg
Built and added support bracket to the Electric fan and Shroud to fit the grill and radiator.
P1020524resized.jpg
A view from the bottom.
P1020525resized.jpg

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Took the summer off for what end up as a 102 day round trip to the Canadian maritimes. Was back 2 weeks and went to Hawaii for 2 weeks. Now I can get back on this. When I left I was working on the chassis, fuel system, brake lines, air lines for the lockers.