• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Spankrjs' 1984 Long Term Project

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I knew that was a nice Scrambler from the first time I saw it posted for sale. Very sweet score! :cheers:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
/ / Appreciate it everyone \ \:cheers:

My only plans for it for now are:

1) Get the engine running
2) Do some basic maintenance to it (oil changes, pack bearings, drain gas tank, etc)
3) Put matching ring and pinion in the front
4) Install all the new parts it came with (wheel bearings, front brakes, shocks)
5) Clean up/modify/finish installing the transmission shifter set up
6) Fix the small rust hole in the bed and deal with the windshield frame rust
7) Install a set of factory seats. Got two of the three seats I need, it will be sweet:thumbsup:
8) Paint grill to match
9) Try to find some discontinued Warn Internal Mount front lock in hubs for it (same as my red scrambler)
10) Might put some Chrome Moly Dana 44 sized front axle shafts in it, I don't think the stock Dana 30 shafts will hold up to a 350, 33" tires, and a heavy foot:rotfl:

Sounds like a bunch of work, but not really. I want to keep this thing as close to its current appearance as possible.

Once I get it running, the first thing i want to do is go and hit up some sand dunes. The 350 V8, automatic transmission, and all terrain tires should let this thing rip up some sand:woot:

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
aweseome..

did you score a new F150 also? Someone's got a nice truck there..

I'll be back in your neighborhood on friday picking up my body parts from William.. fingers crossed the job comes out right

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
aweseome..

did you score a new F150 also? Someone's got a nice truck there..

I'll be back in your neighborhood on friday picking up my body parts from William.. fingers crossed the job comes out right

Appreciate it:cheers:

Nope, not my F150, that POS is JeepAddicts:rotfl: I'm still using my 05 Rubicon as a DD:thumbsup:

I will have to see if i can meet up with y'all on Friday:cheers:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Not a real update, but I did score some new parts for this one, hope it's still in one piece:eek:

Anyway, this is what showed up at work today:

IMAG0192-1.jpg

I'm not sure if I am eventually going to use these on my red Scrambler or not, but for now, they will go on this one, to replace the aftermarket steel wheels.

What's inside:drool:

IMAG0191-1.jpg

Five, almost good as new, 15x8 Mickey Thompson/Alcoa Challenger wheels:headbang:

I have wanted a set of these wheels since high school, but I could not afford the $220 price each one cost new back then. I got these for a good price, so I am very happy:D

These are forged wheels, not cast. They are super light, made by Alcoa - the same company that makes wheels for big rigs (with a Mickey Thompson stamp on the face). Probably the strongest/lightest aluminum rims you can buy:twocents:

The only good/bad thing about this set of wheels - The previous owner drilled a hole in the inner portion of each wheel for an internal valve stem for Stauns. No big deal, figure I might need some internal bead locks when I hit the dunes in Michigan this year with V8 power:fingerscrossed:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I had those same rims, although they were the "Classics" and not the "Challengers", on my TJ. I wish I had swapped them out before I sold it but oh well. I always liked the Challengers the best, they have that old school "slot mag" style.

I can't wait to see this Scrambler start taking shape!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I am going to pick this one up/take it out of storage this Saturday, hope to start wrenching on it Sunday:fingerscrossed: :thumbsup:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I REALLY like the way that top looks painted the same color as the body. Dad's Scrambler is Almond Beige so at some point that ACME hardtop I picked up for it is going to get painted to match.....

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I REALLY like the way that top looks painted the same color as the body. Dad's Scrambler is Almond Beige so at some point that ACME hardtop I picked up for it is going to get painted to match.....

I think it looks really cool, too:thumbsup:

After looking at the top some more, I don't think it has ever been painted. I believe that it was actually made this color. The coloring is so uniform/coverage is complete on every part of the top that it must have been made this color:shrug:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Well, its only been 16 months since I bought it, but I finally pulled this one out of hibernation. Since I am "finished" with "Yard Scrambler", I decided to pick this one up while I was dropping the other one back off.

A few pictures of "Yard Scrambler" helping with the retrieval of the non-running '84. The 8274/snatch block combination made short work of loading up this one.

IMAG0367_zps4420f730-1.jpg

IMAG0368_zps165693e7-1.jpg

IMAG0369_zpsd7527534-1.jpg

I had my buddy Chuck do my towing this weekend with his Dodge Diesel. But, the truck/trailer combo is too big to easily maneuver at my house, so I met him down the road in a big empty parking lot to unload the '84.

IMAG0375_zps83ab6f95-1.jpg

I then used my "tow rig" to finish the delivery. It is much easier to maneuver/back in "projects" in my yard with the short/small/geared really low 05 Rubicon. I am fairly confident that I am exceeding the manufacturers recommended towing capacity, but it was about a one mile trip, never got over 25 mph, so it was fine. Well, except for when I got back to my house and could smell something burning, which smelled like the TJ's clutch!!!!! Luckily, it was just a stuck front caliper on the '84.

IMAG0376_zpsf2ce0135-1.jpg

The "empty spot/bare ground" is covered once again.

IMAG0377_zps0ef9ec30-1.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
A few general pictures.

IMAG0378_zpsf88f6a75-1.jpg

IMAG0379_zpsf4dd42fd-1.jpg

IMAG0400_zpse9981806-1.jpg

IMAG0390_zpsbdc60ef2-1.jpg

IMAG0381_zpsf7bfe3c9-1.jpg

The full top makes for a great storage shed!!! The blown up T5 is parts for my red Scrambler.

IMAG0380_zpsa008462c-1.jpg

IMAG0392_zps4786ea2a-1.jpg

Quick dash shot. Tilt, tach, locking glove box, driver side seat tilt frame, Lokar shifter, ect.

IMAG0394_zps15c8c2e0-1.jpg

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
That's a good-looking tow bumper on the front of that thing. I'm glad to see it finally made its way home. Good luck with it

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Some pictures of all of the parts that it came with.

IMAG0382_zps2add6edf-1.jpg

New shocks (missing lower bushings???), new wheel bearings, hub seals, spark plug wires, stock sway bar links (probably too short), new hood to grill rubber bumpers.

IMAG0383_zpsa94378e2-1.jpg

New front calipers, pads, and rotors. The previous owner must have discovered the same problem I did, stuck/froze calipers.

IMAG0384_zps89d55f27-1.jpg

All of the front grill lighting parts.

IMAG0386_zpsdfd917dc-1.jpg

A few new sensors, box of misc bolts, new distributor cap, PS pump pulley, and the rest of the Lokar shifter parts.

IMAG0385_zps2d03f4a9-1.jpg

The donor truck's wiring/computer.

IMAG0387_zps10f11228-1.jpg

The rest of the CJ's wiring.

IMAG0388_zpsd759b6be-1.jpg

A few air cleaner assemblies/misc parts.

IMAG0395_zpsc9d93fb4-1.jpg

Two quick under hood pictures.

IMAG0396_zps0138436d-1.jpg

IMAG0397_zpsc4368b0b-1.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The biggest obstacle of this project will be the under hood wiring. The PO did a good job, but I am probably going to start over, just to make sure i get everything correct.

IMAG0398_zps4fc2153e-1.jpg

And the seats I plan on using. I think the orange stripes match the exterior stripes, and since its a V8, kind of gives it a "sportier" look.

IMAG0399_zpsc1842aa0-1.jpg

A quick hose down, I believe the factory paint might shine up pretty good.

IMAG0401_zps0776f9ab-1.jpg

That's it for now.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Looks VERY nice cleaned up.

I believe you are correct about your top too. Mine is nutmeg-ish and the interior is the same color as the exterior. Given that your interior matches the exterior looks to me like it was originally that color.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
That's a good-looking tow bumper on the front of that thing. I'm glad to see it finally made its way home. Good luck with it

Appreciate it, and thanks for storing it for me:thumbsup: I thought you might recognize/miss that front bumper:rotfl:

Very nice! :popcorn:

Thanks:cheers: So far, it looks really good. I will just have to see how my luck plays out:fingerscrossed:

Looks VERY nice cleaned up.

I believe you are correct about your top too. Mine is nutmeg-ish and the interior is the same color as the exterior. Given that your interior matches the exterior looks to me like it was originally that color.

Yep, I think some soap will do wonders:thumbsup:

These tops are pretty cool. This one is in really good shape. A few of the lock down brackets are froze up, and the rear gas shocks are shot, but other then that, it seems to be in great shape:thumbsup: