• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The beginning.. the end.... and a fresh start

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I was on the paved area below the orange balloon just east of the food vendors. You should of brought yours. My buddy always goes with me and brings his cj7. Saturday he arrived later and didn't get a good spot up front next to mine. On Friday we were both up front and there were a couple early 70's Broncos too.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Later Saturday a lady representing Daytona "Jeep Beach" week stopped by and handed us brochure's for next years event. She said the event will be better organized as it's being handled by a new group of organizers. She said it got too big for the club that originally ran it. I told her we used to go but the event featured mostly newer stuff and had become very scattered. She said they're going to try to group older and newer stuff. We'll see...

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
45206158765_75e6e912bd_h.jpg
I just noticed my reflection in the headlight trim ring. funny

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
... I was there and looked for your scrambled but didn’t see it.
Probably just as well you missed it, you could have spent all day going over it. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I got to see it and meet w/Roland at Jeep Beach a few years back.
Pictures don't do it justice. :thumbsup:

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Probably just as well you missed it, you could have spent all day going over it. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I got to see it and meet w/Roland at Jeep Beach a few years back.
Pictures don't do it justice. :thumbsup:
I remember meeting you there, I think you came up from Melbourne? Thanks for the compliments

xatu40

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Port Orange
State
FL
WOW!!! I can not believe I hadn't read this thread yet. A truly AMAZING build! Hopefully I'll get to see it in person at Jeep Beach this year.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Howdy folks! During the Turkey Rod Run I picked up a set, well actually 2 sets of vintage air horns from the flea market. They look to be from the 50s or 60s. Just got thru installing a set in the Jeep. This set was branded for Sears and made in Italy. Cleaned em up, lubed the compressor and holy cow they're LOUD! I wired them in parallel with the electric horns. They fit perfectly behind the headlights one on each side. It's hard to hide stuff on a Jeep but for the most part the set-up is not too noticeable. 20190128_191030.jpg20190128_191127.jpg20190128_191053.jpg20190128_193410.jpg20190128_191741.jpg20190128_193433.jpg

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I just finished the install tonight so I can only bump the horn button since it's in the garage. Tomorrow I'll roll it out and give em the "Stop texting and drive!" test. The other set I picked up is meant for foreign cars as it's made by Maserati. I'll put those in my 300zxtt.

Last edited:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Is the brand Stebel? The compressor looks like a few I have picked up which are a beefy design with replaceable magnets.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I looked on the cap and I don't see that name. It says, "Sold by Sears Roebuck and Co. and Simpsons Sears LTD."

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
It is very stout. All metal and quality with replaceable brushes. I didn't notice any labeling on the compresser. The horns matched the labeling on the compressor.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It is very stout. All metal and quality with replaceable brushes. I didn't notice any labeling on the compresser. The horns matched the labeling on the compressor.

Wow, think of someone trying to do that nowadays... so awesome.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Well it does have a unique sound. The electric horns sound immediately and the air horns come in about 2 seconds later. The compressor lags so it takes a couple seconds to spin up and then Holy Moly! I love it

Last edited:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I've got mine mounted in the same place. I also have a very large chrome dual air horn, but the compressor is not large enough. They work well when I hook them up to my garage compressor at 125 psi :)

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Wow, I'll bet your ears are ringing after that. My buddy is coming by tomorrow to work on his Jeep. I'm going to get a second opinion. ?