• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The Descrambler Project

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
OK the big day finally got here.

It runs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had some starter problems and had to have it rebuilt and then had to figure out why my wiring was not working but I did get it figured out, and as soon as the starter turned the motor at the proper speed it fired right up,,, After sitting for 8 years!

So the project is moving forward and we are definitely on the downhill side now.

Randy

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
OK the big day finally got here.

It runs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had some starter problems and had to have it rebuilt and then had to figure out why my wiring was not working but I did get it figured out, and as soon as the starter turned the motor at the proper speed it fired right up,,, After sitting for 8 years!

So the project is moving forward and we are definitely on the downhill side now.

Randy

Awesome!

Every time I see a new post in this thread I get excited...

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
was just in the garage making new "things to do lists." for some reason they are just as long as the last ones? :eek:

Randy

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
OK guys : Sorry I neglected you but Liquidating my Mother's estate took a while and I haven't ben in the right frame of mind to fab much of anything. Also I was swamped with Navy work up until the end of September.

I have made some progress since then . I got all the fiber glassing done on the Trans Tunnel and made the reinforcing plate for the roll bar mounting.

I am working on finishing the roll bar itself and making it into an Air Tank. It will get painted and installed into the body and all of the attaching bolts and nuts socked down for a final time. I have a couple of holes to make in the body for the Transfer case shifter and defroster duct and then the body can be mounted.

One problem I ran into since the thing runs is that it has sat so long the a seal in the Injection pump has went bad and it leaks like a sieve. I have to remove the IP and send it out for rebuild, however I don't want to do this until the body is on.

One the body is on things will start to move faster as all the projects are smaller and smaller. The last two major projects will be installing the A/C unit and fabrication of the dash board.
It should be drivable at that point, but still plenty to do making bumpers, and all of the interior cabinets etc.

Finally fitting the hard top and doors which will be a MOFO!

So I will try to keep this thread updated periodically and here's some pics of the progress.

Randy

Attachments

• 836.JPG
    836.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 837.JPG
    837.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 839.JPG
    839.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 838.JPG
    838.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 841.JPG
    841.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 272

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Randy, looks great! Sorry to hear about your loss. But glad to hear you're back at it.

Funny, for the past few days I've been wondering what happened to you and your build.

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
OK guys I'm back. Haven't been updating this thread as it became too much work to do the updating on both websites and as most of you know the full thread is at www4BTSWAPS.com .

The vehicle is coming along and a lot has been done since the last posting.

First the vehicle runs https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wrbuchanan100

And as you will notice in the video the body is on and the Front End is nearly complete. All of this stuff had been mocked up before and was Final Installed All the Hydraulics are installed and plumbed in, I am waiting on one fitting for the Radiator Hose System which was built up with Silicone Intake parts.

Both Front Fenders are finished and will be installed as soon as other small projects are finished under the hood They have been of and back on 15 times checking for clearance issues. The hood still has to be modified to include the Hummer Air Intake.

The AC System is mocked up and the Vintage Air Evap unit under the dash will be installed next after the Mock up unit is removed and Dynamat installed..

One of the big issues that got taken care of during the last year was rebuilding the Leaking Injection Pump which cost me $907.00 !!! and Six Weeks!!! When I went to restart the engine after putting it back on I couldn't get it to start no matter how much I cranked it. I had fuel shooting everywhere and the basic rule with Diesels is if they have fuel,,, they run. then :banghead: I noticed that my Air Filter still had the plastic bag on it and had been completely sucked Completely Flat! :evil: So after removing the offending bag,,, and straitening it back out,,, Varoom! :thumbsup: Note: the crinkle in it.

There are literally hundreds of pictures over at the other site of all the Fab work which you guys really should see. I even painted the grill white a few weeks ago, and all of the AC Condenser Piping, and fab work in the grill is worth looking at.

Here's a few pics to get you interested. :bacon:

Randy

Attachments

• 1157.JPG
    1157.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 1155.JPG
    1155.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 1156.JPG
    1156.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 1160.JPG
    1160.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 1159.JPG
    1159.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 1012.JPG
    1012.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 204

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Randy- been wondering about this build! I fully understand the difficulty of posting builds to 2 forums, I'm beginning the same dilemma with my J20 build.

So- glad to hear it's running! I'll have to hop over to the other board to check out your fab work, I remember you do awesome stuff!

I was in Camarillo last October, dealing with my late father's stuff. Thought about trying to look you up but I didn't really have enough time to even accomplish what I was there for. Maybe this summer sometime.

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
OK I just spent 30 minutes writing an update post only to have it dumped when I tried to post the pics. :angry:

here's the pics as it did save them.

Made some good progress currently designing the Dash Board. The Blank Plate is mounted on the cowling.

gong to do something different on this one so it can be worked on without having to dive under it.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 1212.JPG
    1212.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 1190.JPG
    1190.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 1189.JPG
    1189.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 1201.JPG
    1201.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 1192.JPG
    1192.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 148

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The forum auto saves your last post. If you use the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" button in the bottom left of the post composition window when that happens, it will paste in the content to your last save.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow. Awesome stuff. Is that a cowl brace in the center of the dash?