Not good but not as bad as I thought it might be. All around 125 except cylinder 1 at 110. All had around 40%+ leak down (right on the line of the gauge between OK and moderate) except 2 at 27%. When doing the leak down testing only air escaping was through the open PCV port, nothing around the head to block, nothing through the carb or radiator. All my plugs looked good as well. PCV is working good, have a tee fitting in the front of the valve cover to a bottle with a relief hole in the cap. My problem arose due to sealing up the intake and exhaust leaks so now the excess pressure is pushing oil out. Time to do some thinking about rebuild, drop in the SBC sitting in the garage, additional vacuum until I can get to the rebuild or replace as well...
Well what have I done; last night I pulled the rear door out of the AKpostal and only striped one Torx head screw. I truly have a gracious God. For those of you who have never seen one, the upper hinge on the back door of a postal attaches to the top with a captured plate buried in the top and the lower hinge attaches to the tub, with Torx head screws, the backside of the lower hinge mount is accessible and the screw that stripped was in the lower hinge. I know small victory.
I also removed the “temporary” floorboard patch that I screwed in over ten years ago and learned that the floorboard was not as bad as I had feared.
Removed the curbside seat and started to map what was going to be required build a bracket in order to keep the emergency brake handle functional. I postal has handbrake attached to the curbside seat pedestal. When I put this it back together I intend use the flip forward seat mount.
Removed the Cargo net from the factory ROPS. The cargo nets in these things has got be about the coolest thing that you receive when you find one.
The rest of evening was spent sent with the bane of every AK postal owner existence, chipping yellow foam.
Well as yesterday spilled into this morning, I guess it still qualifies as today
Got the pinion preloads set on the front and rear axles after the gear swap, New u joint on one front driveshaft and got it and one spindle installed. Also got one rear axle bearing pressed on the Moser axle and installed. Frame was welded and back and ready for final painting. Will be posting up the details in the build thread, but went from 9am to 3am if that gives you an indication of the problems we encountered.