• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What did you do with your Scrambler today? August 2014 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

84scramblertex

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Richardson
State
TX
Bought a compression tester and leak down tester. Tomorrow will be figuring out how the original low mileage 258 is doing....

84scramblertex

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Richardson
State
TX
Bought a compression tester and leak down tester. Tomorrow will be figuring out how the original low mileage 258 is doing....

Not good but not as bad as I thought it might be. All around 125 except cylinder 1 at 110. All had around 40%+ leak down (right on the line of the gauge between OK and moderate) except 2 at 27%. When doing the leak down testing only air escaping was through the open PCV port, nothing around the head to block, nothing through the carb or radiator. All my plugs looked good as well. PCV is working good, have a tee fitting in the front of the valve cover to a bottle with a relief hole in the cap. My problem arose due to sealing up the intake and exhaust leaks so now the excess pressure is pushing oil out. Time to do some thinking about rebuild, drop in the SBC sitting in the garage, additional vacuum until I can get to the rebuild or replace as well...

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Drove over to a buddy's house (about 30 miles each way) to help him unload this...

image.jpg

Nice custom Ford Truck he just traded for. Not my cup of tea, cause I would be too paranoid to drive it. He won't either. I just see multiple Jeeps I could own with the cash that thing took to build.

Scrambler ran like a clock. New tranny is working great and had a great time driving her! Can't wait for a little cooler weather so I can stand to drive it after noon :evil:

BattleJeep

Basic User
City
Honolulu
State
HI
indirectly related to my CJ8, but getting certified in carbon steel TIG welding at WTTI in Allentown, PA for my job. (also stainless steel, and 5000 and 6000 series aluminum)
10329075_10203055566684884_7605421402278595211_n.jpg
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10352327_10203055566884889_3630776819157466599_n.jpg?oh=2096e6640b3963991330446f93bba892&oe=546CF751

Wanderingone

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
Well what have I done; last night I pulled the rear door out of the AKpostal and only striped one Torx head screw. I truly have a gracious God. For those of you who have never seen one, the upper hinge on the back door of a postal attaches to the top with a captured plate buried in the top and the lower hinge attaches to the tub, with Torx head screws, the backside of the lower hinge mount is accessible and the screw that stripped was in the lower hinge. I know small victory.
I also removed the “temporary” floorboard patch that I screwed in over ten years ago and learned that the floorboard was not as bad as I had feared.
Removed the curbside seat and started to map what was going to be required build a bracket in order to keep the emergency brake handle functional. I postal has handbrake attached to the curbside seat pedestal. When I put this it back together I intend use the flip forward seat mount.
Removed the Cargo net from the factory ROPS. The cargo nets in these things has got be about the coolest thing that you receive when you find one.
The rest of evening was spent sent with the bane of every AK postal owner existence, chipping yellow foam.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Speig, contrary to what the desert racers tell you, removing every third tooth on the ring gear really doesn't lighten a Scrambler up enough to justify the work...

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Speig, contrary to what the desert racers tell you, removing every third tooth on the ring gear really doesn't lighten a Scrambler up enough to justify the work...

Hey it is unsprung weight!

:D

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
eradesys-1.jpg

Got a 🎅delivery when the soon to be wify was away .. 🙌

Sent from my SPH-L900

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
DUDE! Cardboard boxes add like 10-20 HP easy!

NICE!! :bow:

CJWECK

Basic User
City
Dayton
State
OH
Took her to for a tire breakdown/ balance and 2 new valve stems @ SAMs club very good deal for just 9 bucks a tire.

a>

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
did this yesterday. :) I love my Scrambler. :bacon:

babu8umy-1.jpg
yqavupy2-1.jpg

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
Well as yesterday spilled into this morning, I guess it still qualifies as today ;)
Got the pinion preloads set on the front and rear axles after the gear swap, New u joint on one front driveshaft and got it and one spindle installed. Also got one rear axle bearing pressed on the Moser axle and installed. Frame was welded and back and ready for final painting. Will be posting up the details in the build thread, but went from 9am to 3am if that gives you an indication of the problems we encountered.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Well as yesterday spilled into this morning, I guess it still qualifies as today ;)
Got the pinion preloads set on the front and rear axles after the gear swap

When I got to this statement I felt myself breaking into a cold sweat and feeling a little nausea coming on.

Status
Not open for further replies.