• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Well hell, that's pretty cool. Now I'm going to have to do one with my leftover parts. Tell me you've got the steps laid out somewhere?

Haha! Just noticed "jeep" spelled out in the center. 80% cooler now.
The steps are a lot of trial and error rivets and sore hands!

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I really like that grill. Come to think about it I’m pretty sure I like everything CertifiableJeep!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Scrub a dub dub... first past at cleaning... before/after

20190715_185601_resizeda.jpg

20190716_185750_resized_1.jpg

I got the stickers off and first pass with some very fine steel wool and a lot of elbow grease.

I will do some more cleaning tonight... they cleaned up better than I expected with those stickers on them.

cb

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Man those came out great. Compared to the back of that frame rail they are rust free!

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Sanded the backs of these chrome bumpers and experimented with 2 types of aluminum paint. The left is flat (more gray and still has tape on the edges) and the right is more metallic. Not perfect but they are just the backs so won’t show much and are way better than they were. 83B26ACF-5F28-4804-B847-3F5C2F43FCAB.jpeg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Polishing time... I got 15 wheels... will create 2 nice sets and the other set I will sell off unstripped/polished as it will take a little doing.

20190730_184037_resized.jpg

20190730_190412_resized.jpg

20190730_184044_resized.jpg

20190730_184050_resized.jpg

Got to polish up a few more things as well, but all in all, things are going good.

cb

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Polishing time... I got 15 wheels... will create 2 nice sets and the other set I will sell off unstripped/polished as it will take a little doing.

View attachment 74900
Got to polish up a few more things as well, but all in all, things are going good.

cb

Good a place as any to ask I guess, but does anyone have any good ideas on how to get a broken bolt out of one of these caps?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I’ve got all different lengths broken. I was going to try everything from penetrating oil and vice grips to carefully drilling them out. Have tried anything yet.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Interesting solution. I've heard of people drilling them out but not cutting a slot for a flat head screwdriver.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Interesting solution. I've heard of people drilling them out but not cutting a slot for a flat head screwdriver.
I tried an easy-out and couldn't get the starter bit to go very deep. I think the heat of drilling/cutting helped. There are plenty of threads there to work with. I barely even got into them.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
I have had success with using a left hand drill bit run in reverse in a drill. Screws or bolts will sometimes walk themselves right out.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
This is what I have done... if you have a few threads above and not sheared off flat.

Get a pair of long nose vice grips and grip on pretty hard, not crazy hard.
Heat the vice grip up above the snapped off bolt, but not on the center cap itself.
The heat will transfer into the broken bolt... some spray could help as well, but work it back and forth slowly... will pop out eventually.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Cut off wheel... takes a while and makes a mess, but there was no saving these unfortunately.
New England center caps take a beating and for whatever reason, the fronts tend to survive better that the rears.
The fronts I can't do much with except throw them away when they are cracked/broken, but a little birdie told me something about the rears and I will attempt to make something.

cb