• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
These are pretty nice, but do have some areas of chrome issues and a couple spots of surface rust starting... but really nice and shiny and look great from 10 feet away.

cb

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
They do look nice. I'm going to have to put some work into mine as well.

Just checking in case prevailing wisdom has changed. My Google searches say that rechromers won't touch these. No ones found a chrome shop that can rechrome them have they?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX

Just checking in case prevailing wisdom has changed. My Google searches say that rechromers won't touch these. No ones found a chrome shop that can rechrome them have they?

Never used them, but a local shop looks like they strip and rechrome rims. Pricey though:

Atlas Chrome

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR

The EPA pretty much killed affordable rechroming.

A few years ago I looked into having my grandfather's old Wilson Staff "Dynapower" forged blades (golf clubs to clarify) rechromed. Did a LOT of looking around and found that chrome work has gotten ridiculously expensive due to EPA regs. Not many places doing it these days, and the ones who are, charge out the wazoo.

Additionally as I understand it, rechroming wheels designed like the OEM wheels isn't really feasible as there is no way to get the seam cleaned and prepped for the new chrome to adhere.

Last edited:

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
Additionally as I understand it, rechroming wheels designed like the OEM wheels isn't really feasible as there is no way to get the seam cleaned and prepped for the new chrome to adhere.
I know at least one shop will cut the rims apart and later reweld to properly do OEM AMC Jeep wheels. Looks great but definitely isn't cheap

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
I have a Ford T18 with granny gear with the advanced adapter on the back for the Dana 20, or in this case a 1980 scout Dana 300
Also going to clean up and paint a set of free lock locking hubs, and just got done making a deal to sell this 1972 Dana 20 with 50,000 miles on it, shifts like butterF8E07D2D-D0BA-4BF1-9C82-F09CD47ADA6A.jpeg5296A040-0458-4CA0-8706-F9D5858E3581.jpegA8EEFE49-7E01-411C-9C78-D02DA08FDD84.jpeg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I have a smallish garage with a 2ft X 8ft piece of plywood as my workbench. Seems like always 1/2 full with other items. For my engine rebuild I resorted to temporarily using a sheet of plywood on sawhorses when needed, and when I needed another bench I was given a 2 X 6 counter top I clamp down with a 3 legged Rockwell Jawhorse and this has worked well for me

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Although it's not quite on my bench, the cooler temps finally gave me the motivation to jump back on my 360 project. I unwrapped the completed short block (patiently waiting since May), and verified the valve train events with the cam card. All checked out, and looking forward to getting those heads OFF my bench and on the engine this week.

Attachments

• PIjfK7uySHOKDoLhTAIm7Q.jpg
    PIjfK7uySHOKDoLhTAIm7Q.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 17
  • nfSB2X0GRxW7kta7M6bg5g.jpg
    nfSB2X0GRxW7kta7M6bg5g.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 17

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Nice ! How did you get the metal to clean up so great ?

Ancient Chinese secret....Lol. I am old.

Nothing fancy. Heavier Scotch-Brite to get the corrosion off, narrow brass brush (handle and drill end) for the crevices, then lighter or worn Scotch-Brite, wide brass brush then buff with a little WD-40 to prevent corrosion. Buff, buff, buff...