• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
When I was a kid in upstate NY, my dad and I would get 6-8 cords of wood about this time each year - he'd run the chainsaw and I'd spend an hour or two after school splitting them. (by hand!)

After I moved off for school, he continued on his own, cutting and splitting until last summer when he got sick and now I'm crying.

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So yesterday was a haul of seats... some black denim, some base models, full with seat sliders and brackets... some were junk, others were nice.
Cleaning some up and taking brackets off.
I got a couple center consoles as well... Made one niece one out of the 2.

I also had to pull the Orange 5 into the shop... needs a new booster in order to get a sticker... brakes work fine and then get spongy, then hard... it is a weird one, but after the other day of the pedal going to the floor, I am done... ordered up a new one and will stick it in this week.

20200815_171710_resized.jpg

20200815_171729_resized.jpg

I am off to split some wood... the temperature is not 80 at 8am, which is amazing, trying to get a couple hours in.

cb

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
When I grew up we had a Franklin potbelly & a fireplace. That is a lot of wood. I really wonder the way things are going how much longer people with be allowed to even do that. I love a fire.

I'd like to see them stop me. LOL

I had two big river oaks this size I had to have taken down. I cut them up myself. At first, Dad had me using his old Homelite XL with a 16" bar. When the trunk got too thick for me to match cuts down each side, he FINALLY got out his Husky 372XP (he'd had it 10 years, but was new in the box). That thing cut like a hot knife through butter. He also has a NOS Husky 2100......

I split all the wood with a sledge and wedges. Dad has a splitter for the back of the tractor, but claims he doesn't know where the controls are, and said I needed the exercise, so I split it all by hand.

Ended up with about 8 cords of wood. I haven't burned 1/10th of it yet. Used to have a fire on the patio most nights, but the wife quit smoking and sitting around the fire makes her crave cigs, so we don't have them often anymore.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 32
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 32

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I'd like to see them stop me. LOL

I had two big river oaks this size I had to have taken down. I cut them up myself. At first, Dad had me using his old Homelite XL with a 16" bar. When the trunk got too thick for me to match cuts down each side, he FINALLY got out his Husky 372XP (he'd had it 10 years, but was new in the box). That thing cut like a hot knife through butter. He also has a NOS Husky 2100......

I split all the wood with a sledge and wedges. Dad has a splitter for the back of the tractor, but claims he doesn't know where the controls are, and said I needed the exercise, so I split it all by hand.

Ended up with about 8 cords of wood. I haven't burned 1/10th of it yet. Used to have a fire on the patio most nights, but the wife quit smoking and sitting around the fire makes her crave cigs, so we don't have them often anymore.

LOL... the old, "I can't remember where I put those controls... well, might as well not waste the day, lets us(you) split it by hand"

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
many of life's lessons are learned in the garden and splitting wood.......my kids split wood with me and tend the 'maters

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Wasn't like I was some young kid either! I was in my late 30's when I had to split all that wood!

I will say it was very therapeutic!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Wasn't like I was some young kid either! I was in my late 30's when I had to split all that wood!

I will say it was very therapeutic!
If you were a Jeep, you would just have been broken in !

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Finally built a stand for the gate solar panel. Adjustable and all!

Attachments

• 11F4B35B-D703-4531-A723-765E6B95E470.jpeg
    11F4B35B-D703-4531-A723-765E6B95E470.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 00F2D7CD-6E04-444C-9E8F-C5C42F4E4E54.jpeg
    00F2D7CD-6E04-444C-9E8F-C5C42F4E4E54.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 16

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have been pretty quiet as the summer is finally coming to a close and school is starting up and things are hopefully will be less crazy.
Made a trip this weekend to get some goodies that need cleaning, so they are on the bench...

20200831_164328_resized.jpg

Garden is producing nicely...

20200831_163828_resized.jpg

and finally... kids got their way... a couple small bundles of joy coming soon to a house near me...

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I got a lot of the same these days... polishing and cutting/splitting... and off to look at a Jeep.... rinse/repeat!

cb

20200904_155048_resized.jpg

20200904_115702_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I think we need a thread for "what else did you do today" cause I could fill it every day ;)
I don't think this thread needs any more "non-workbench" photos, so I will not post more wood pics, but at least the weather has been nice for cutting and splitting.

I did pick up a CJ5 parts jeep...

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Or maybe just make a workbench out of logs for storage and just before spring burn it in the fireplace :shrug:

Sfisher

Basic User
Silver Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
What left my work bench today ..... this Craigslist find. A nearly new York air compressor. It's been on my bench for too long and finally got it installed and rolling. Huge difference between this and my expensive electric compressor. IMG_1707.jpg