• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I am fighting one of those on my bench, trying to get the shift rods back in.

83CJ-8

Trying to catch up
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
Lewes
State
DE
Is that a Scout version? Or does it have an adaptor on the input?
It's the original. I purchased the Scrambler back in Feb 90 for a work truck.(y)

Guessing that's the T176 tailhousing
Yes, I took out 2nd gear back in 95, I put the Scrambler in storage and didn't get around to having the 176 rebuilt until 01

I am fighting one of those on my bench, trying to get the shift rods back in.
You might have to take the rail mechanism off :unsure: ? Try drum sticks? Send Paul Cangialosi from 5Speeds.com an email and see if he responds.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Had them both in just not at the same time, haven't figured out the secret to get them both in.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Trying something new... covers came as part of a lot of parts I bought and I had a seat frame... first foray into actually trying to cover a CJ seat.
These are not originals, or original material, but look close enough that I am sure someone could use them in a nutmeg type interior Jeep... we will see how it goes.

20201103_180802_resized.jpg

I was having a beer I picked up from @jerseyjeeps and a snack from the kids lunch bag...

20201104_180505_resized.jpg

cb

Last edited:

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
Trying something new... covers came as part of a lot of parts I bought and I had a seat frame... first foray into actually trying to cover a CJ seat.
These are not originals, or original material, but look close enough that I am sure someone could use them in a nutmeg type interior Jeep... we will see how it goes.

View attachment 88794

I was having a beer I picked up from @jerseyjeeps and a snack from the kids lunch bag...

View attachment 88795

cb

Hog Ring pliers will be your friend! I am certain of your success.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yeah, I got a set of them coming today in the mail with some hog rings... the stuff they shipped in the cover box didn't look like they would work too well... I will post up pics when I am done.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Bottom went on pretty smooth

20201105_183326_resized.jpg

The top seems extra tight and short... so I am gonna leave it out in the sun all day and see what happens.

20201105_183935_resized.jpg

But all in all, it just took a lot of time and looking at another seat to see how it was all attached... the covers are nice... not perfect, but I definitely would like to save an OEM seat with a cover than go aftermarket... but that is me.

cb
cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Who made the after market cover?

I don't know where it came from or who made it, there aren't any marks on the inside... I know a few companies have made them over the years and there are some really high end ones, but I don't think this is that... it is nice, but there are a few hiccups here and there and a little long in some places... but overall it is much better than what I started with.

cb

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Probably made by autointeriorkits in CA but on Ebay. The sides on the backs don't come down quite far enough to meet the bottom cushion and so the little flaps that stand up on the bottom like to pop out when you sit on the seat. Either the flaps need to be taller or the sides of the backs need to be longer. Other than that, they are nice covers for the money.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I just looked them up, that seems about right from what I am seeing.
Been in the sun for 3 hours, came down a little, but not enough for what I would like to see...

cb

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
You can add some padding on the bottom cushion to raise up the area where those flaps stick up which helps a little.

STSFCTN

Silver Member
City
Centennial
State
CO
After all these years I finally got a working clutch in the 8. Now I just need to find a way to close up that big hole in the bell housing. A stock boot won't work, the AA bell housing is to thick

View attachment 88787
This is on my project list too. What did you use for the setup and what bellhousing is this. I have used moderndriveline.com before but would like to get other ideas as well.