• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 questions

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 38:
Getting close to buying a winch
Most likely will be a Warn evo, may step up to next level if needed.
My question is will the winch perform better with a higher weigh load than needed?
I believe an 8000 lbs would be minimal, 10000 lb is what most people buy. But.. if you went to a 12k would the winch be under less stress and creating less heat and battery load.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Question 38:
Getting close to buying a winch
Most likely will be a Warn evo, may step up to next level if needed.
My question is will the winch perform better with a higher weigh load than needed?
I believe an 8000 lbs would be minimal, 10000 lb is what most people buy. But.. if you went to a 12k would the winch be under less stress and creating less heat and battery load.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
15 years ago you're choices were basically 8k and 9k. The 10k whichever didn't really start coming out until the marker was flooded with Chinese winches. Before that Warn had a 10k in the big frame design shared with their 12 and 16.5k winches which look way to big on a CJ. If little price difference I would get a 10k.
I plan on using my M8274 on my CJ8 and my XD8000i on my LJ(which came with a Chinese made quadratec winch).

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I always used 8274 on my land cruisers; best winch Warn ever made. But on the FJ40 they sit between the frame rails. On the 8 they sit above it and block the radiator significantly. I just don't like the look of the 8274 on an 8.

I've got the lay flat 8000 on mine and it's more than adequate; Jeeps aren't particularly heavy. However, if I were to replace it I'd go 10,000 lay flat just to have the same motor as the 8274-50 does.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I always read you should go 1.5 times your vehicles weight.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Warn XD9000i with rope on mine.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 39;
I purchased a cover for my winch, but, since it will be in the elements.
Should I coat steel cable with anything to preserve its new steel color. I see alot of them that have rusted?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I used to use this spendy marine gel coat stuff people here in the rust heaven use. But I've found that this works just as well at half the price. My winch cable is about the only thing which hasn't rusted since moving to Florida. If I didn't keep my Jeep in a climate controlled garage it would be a pile of rust flakes by now without this.

Attachments

• 16815972639142185192883235356513.jpg
    16815972639142185192883235356513.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 6

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
So when I install winch, pull rope out and spray as I spool. Then maybe spray outside occasionally?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That's almost exactly what I did. I spooled it about one round at a time and sprayed it and repeated until done. I spray it every year or so now, but mine is in a garage.
I use my winch on my property several times each year (or more with hurricanes). But I never wheel any more as I live in God's waiting room and mud bogging is the only option here.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
If it were me I’d put it in neutral, have someone inside steering, with the end hooked to a tree. Walk alongside while winding the cable and spraying as you go. This will also ensure you have a tight wrap.

Obviously be careful walking in front of the Jeep

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 40
The 1982 Scrambler i just purchased has the Vin# IJCCE88EOCT
The 5th character is for transmission, my notes do not list an E, only B A M N
I know that it was a 6 cylinder automatic. What am I missing?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Question 40
The 1982 Scrambler i just purchased has the Vin# IJCCE88EOCT
The 5th character is for transmission, my notes do not list an E, only B A M N
I know that it was a 6 cylinder automatic. What am I missing?
My 84 also has the fifth character E. Also was originally an auto.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 41:
Like everthing on my Scramber, the windsheild frame has a couple of pin holes.
Should I look at used windsheild frames over new reproduction? My thinking is used ones may look ok but in a year or two........ Are the reproduction windsheild frames correct? Suggested vendors