1983 frame off refresh - finally

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Well, I got sick of the baby poop brown seats. My temporary solution was to spray them with vinyl and fabric paint. The last experience I had was in high school and a buddy dyed his vinyl with not so good results. This is where my apprehension came from but after watching a few u tube clips I was all in.
I used the DupliColor brand in a flat black which really does have the slightest gloss.

HogDyIH5TKaIoj2Zh7j59Q.jpg

2 cans did both front buckets and the rear f&t seat with 2 coats and just a bit remaining for some spot touch ups. While the seats were all out it gave me the chance to vacuum and wash out the inside from the year of sitting in the shop. The color match Raptor lining is great. If I can say the texture does hold dirt but it is easily cleaned up. I also installed the passenger side sliding seat base I bought off of ebay. Great addition! Here are a couple of installed pics.

3pOY2r9UQVu3C32leEvIVw.jpg

ym6Tm4rXQoqVy7uy48tlhw.jpg

I drove it 13 miles each way to the Y to swim on US Hwy 421and maintained 65 mph the whole way and even got a wave from a State Trooper!

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Well, I got sick of the baby poop brown seats. My temporary solution was to spray them with vinyl and fabric paint. The last experience I had was in high school and a buddy dyed his vinyl with not so good results. This is where my apprehension came from but after watching a few u tube clips I was all in.
I used the DupliColor brand in a flat black which really does have the slightest gloss.

View attachment 61264

2 cans did both front buckets and the rear f&t seat with 2 coats and just a bit remaining for some spot touch ups. While the seats were all out it gave me the chance to vacuum and wash out the inside from the year of sitting in the shop. The color match Raptor lining is great. If I can say the texture does hold dirt but it is easily cleaned up. I also installed the passenger side sliding seat base I bought off of ebay. Great addition! Here are a couple of installed pics.

View attachment 61265

View attachment 61266

I drove it 13 miles each way to the Y to swim on US Hwy 421and maintained 65 mph the whole way and even got a wave from a State Trooper!
They look great!!!! :thumbsup:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
thx guys. I'll be sure and report back as to the longevity/durability of the paint. Really pleased with the finished product and iff needed I can spot touch up.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Looks great! Those seats would probably be fine with a different color scheme, but with yours (which I really like BTW) something had to be done :headbang:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Doing some detail work as in chasing down why the reverse lights wouldn't work. Bad 35 year old harness.........mmmm, could be.
Added some new wires and have to also get a new switch. Got em lighting and waiting on the switch. Other than that I've just been driving it. I've got a small fuel leak around the sending unit so I'll run it down and drop the tank and install a new cork gasket.

4tMfBNdCQiKJXu3OK0oSEw.jpg

if%KVpL5Sqe10T6GW0%P6Q.jpg

I'll update as I install, piddle with it some more.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Well tonight was the night that Mrs. CJ 8 took her first ride in the Jeep. Needless to say she was impressed with the fact that it had been in a thousand pieces out in the shop for 3 years and here we were as a family riding it to get dinner. She remarked at how it didn't rattle, squeak or shake and I went retro old school on her when I hit the dimmer switch in the floor to turn on the bright lights. She said that's what her old Nova had! Also the full soft top was "a little loud" but I had to say it's super quiet with the top off.

[video=youtube_share;AmgsB7WqOkQ]https://youtu.be/AmgsB7WqOkQ[/video]

Last edited:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
This darn thing is so high and I don't have any side steps yet the kids do some sort of jungle gym maneuver to get in and out and crawl all over the seats. I personally can throw a leg in it and get in but getting out involves the old spin and slide to the ground. The color is holding well with no cracking, peeling or such. I'll have to post up some measurement pictures.
Thx for all the compliments. There's still more to do but it is very satisfying to see people walk by and take a good hard look at my work!

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Had to roll the sides down to take Lil CJ8 1/2 to scouts tonight. It's the must drive for all BSA events. We're going on a weekend camping trip to Uwharrie Nat'l Forest in June and we're taking the JEEP!

UXdOMBqtTXSxcv7ktdpb0A.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Too nice to have your top on Randy. It's off until TBD. My son can not believe how many people throw out the "Jeep Wave" to use. There was a young guy pumping gas today that was out of his Jeep and he waved at us! Needless to say I'm digging it, even if they are JK's.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
Too nice to have your top on Randy. It's off until TBD. My son can not believe how many people throw out the "Jeep Wave" to use. There was a young guy pumping gas today that was out of his Jeep and he waved at us! Needless to say I'm digging it, even if they are JK's.
Awesome!

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Well, I'm finally getting around to fixing my fuel gauge. I'm a self proclaimed expert as of now. During assembly of mine I made it a point to test the sending unit for function. It all checked out. Well to say that plenty of time passed between assembly and commissioning is an understatement. The gauge just didn't work from day one. I had to drop the tank anyways to re-gasket the sending unit bung as the Viton sheet I used just didn't cut it.
Here's the float not floating!

r4%4LKmQRzq6s9%O3dCVFw.jpg

And if you look very close you can see bubbles

MtTqNK73TaWxn9+JGJ4CSw.jpg

Simple fix right. Called all over Winston Salem and can't get a brass float from anywhere so off to the Amazon

BcSVhCt7R2Gl+LA0QtXFdw.jpg

Full

zvAMLyyzS+eo6MbxLA1Q3Q.jpg

Empty

zk4j2R0lSimbG+NluEiS+g.jpg

VzHjJKPGQISoY1VL3afcLw.jpg

Keep in mind that I have an aftermarket 20 gallon or so fabricated steel tank. I'll install the new float and report back. Hope all have been well!

Attachments