What Walker said. Civilian jeep has a great troubleshooting logic for all the gauges. Read up on it and get busy with your multimeter checking voltages and resistance on the gauge and sender.
WORTH SAYING: Check that your gauge cluster and dash have a good ground, preferably straight to the battery. Also, I ran the tank sending unit ground straight to the rear crossmember with an crimp terminal. I used "oxguard" anti-oxidation on this connections.
So I think I'm getting pretty good at dropping the tank. Did so today from 12:00-12:50 to adjust the float level. I tried and tested but it needed adjusted because after 15 gallons put in it read 1/2, drove it 60 miles or so and it was on E. So I dropped it to adjust, read bend, the arm down so the float "floated" higher across the resistor. I really had no way of knowing how much gas was in there so I measured it. The tank is roughly 13" from bottom to top and I had 4" of gas in it. I took a stab at 1/4+. I'll fill it tomorrow with 5 gallons and check the reading and then say 5 more, etc. and kind of extrapolate what my gauge readings are. There's still not a comfort level running her down to E. Have to say I really do like the hard top being on there!
More carb issues. It started sputtering and running poorly at idle. Off came the top of the carb...DIRT AGAIN! I have no idea how it's getting in there. Clean poly tank, new steel and supply lines.
Cleaned all the crud and mud out and runs like a sewing machine again. I'm thinking of adding a clear in-line filter as a prefilter. Just like on the boat. Any of you guys have any ideas as to what and why on this?
what about between the carb and air cleaner? any potential for getting in there maybe?
Outside of that, I was thinking about the lines and if they were blown out prior to use... but there should be a fuel filter in line anyway that should catch it... unless that fuel filter is old and the screen is breaking down.
Another minor repair was the replacement of the clutch!!!
One of the ears where the dampening springs are installed broke off and its neighbor was cracked. Went as expected for the removal and the install took a little bit longer as I have to work off of a creeper and there isn't an extra set of hands to lift and position.
I went with the NAPA kit this time instead of the Advnce Auto kit. YUUGE difference! It is a LUK set with a grazable throw out bearing. I also put the input shaft bushing in the deep freeze to shrink it some. I was able to drive it in with minimal effort.
All in all a much better feel and dare I say smoother drive than the other. $150 well spent.