• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 frame off refresh - finally

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
IMG_0083.jpg

and my nemesis, EMPTY!

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

If you think that needle is EVER going to touch the "E" line you're grossly mistaken.

Here's the finished product ready for installation this weekend

IMG_0090.jpg

Thanks for looking and more to follow for sure.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Nice work!!

Great Pics!!

I forget; does the ground attach to the sender? Or a secondary ground?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
That looks great... like brand new! :thumbsup:

Did you use the pick-up screen that came with your sending unit?

I couldn't get mine to fit, so I didn't use it. :shrug:
You've really got to force it in there on some tanks. The screen tube has some give when forced, and that way it sits tight on the bottom which might help get the most out of your tank.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
You've really got to force it in there on some tanks. The screen tube has some give when forced, and that way it sits tight on the bottom which might help get the most out of your tank.

I've got to drop my tank again soon, for another project... I'll try putting it on again. I've also got a brass float to install.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Here's how the USPS/FedEx delivered my sending unit yesterday
A big box
View attachment 68950

with a little box in it!

View attachment 68951

Here's what came in the kit

View attachment 68952

Got this little brass dandy so I don't have the float half full happen again

View attachment 68953

Ohm'd out at full, half and empty. Goo to go!

View attachment 68954

View attachment 68955

View attachment 68956

Then the moment of truth........will the gauge read correctly?..................Drum roll please.....

FULL

View attachment 68957

View attachment 68958

half-sies

View attachment 68959
Can you show me exactly where your attaching your leads, on the sending unit? I have a multimeter but mainly use it to measure volts on batteries.

I have that same sending unit and brass float sitting on a shelf, and would like to make sure it's good before I go dropping the tank to replace it.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Can you show me exactly where your attaching your leads, on the sending unit? I have a multimeter but mainly use it to measure volts on batteries.

I have that same sending unit and brass float sitting on a shelf, and would like to make sure it's good before I go dropping the tank to replace it.
Set your multimeter to the lowest resistance setting (usually 200 ohms).

Attach one lead to the +threaded post, and the other to the -spade. Resistance should range between 10 and 75 or so.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Nice work!!

Great Pics!!

I forget; does the ground attach to the sender? Or a secondary ground?
There should be a ground jumper from the frame near the tank that attaches to the sending unit.
The post on the sending unit connects to the wire running back to the gauge.

Set your multimeter to the lowest resistance setting (usually 200 ohms).

Attach one lead to the +threaded post, and the other to the -spade. Resistance should range between 10 and 75 or so.

Connect as stated, the sending unit is a variable resistor so it doesn't matter which lead connects to which position.
Here are the specs per the FSM:
gauge.JPG

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
What Walker said. Civilian jeep has a great troubleshooting logic for all the gauges. Read up on it and get busy with your multimeter checking voltages and resistance on the gauge and sender.
WORTH SAYING: Check that your gauge cluster and dash have a good ground, preferably straight to the battery. Also, I ran the tank sending unit ground straight to the rear crossmember with an crimp terminal. I used "oxguard" anti-oxidation on this connections.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I got this wheel from the wheel fairy in Az quite some time ago. Cleaned it up for my spare.

IMG_0565.jpg

that's cleaning the back side with stripper. Came out super nice.

Had to drill out one of the center cap retaining screws.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

Getting her ready for my $40 tire I scored from Kenny (Watson and Son's Jeeps)

Resized952019020195125818954451.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
So I think I'm getting pretty good at dropping the tank. Did so today from 12:00-12:50 to adjust the float level. I tried and tested but it needed adjusted because after 15 gallons put in it read 1/2, drove it 60 miles or so and it was on E. So I dropped it to adjust, read bend, the arm down so the float "floated" higher across the resistor. I really had no way of knowing how much gas was in there so I measured it. The tank is roughly 13" from bottom to top and I had 4" of gas in it. I took a stab at 1/4+. I'll fill it tomorrow with 5 gallons and check the reading and then say 5 more, etc. and kind of extrapolate what my gauge readings are. There's still not a comfort level running her down to E. Have to say I really do like the hard top being on there!

IMG_0580.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
More carb issues. It started sputtering and running poorly at idle. Off came the top of the carb...DIRT AGAIN! I have no idea how it's getting in there. Clean poly tank, new steel and supply lines.
Cleaned all the crud and mud out and runs like a sewing machine again. I'm thinking of adding a clear in-line filter as a prefilter. Just like on the boat. Any of you guys have any ideas as to what and why on this?
IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
what about between the carb and air cleaner? any potential for getting in there maybe?

Outside of that, I was thinking about the lines and if they were blown out prior to use... but there should be a fuel filter in line anyway that should catch it... unless that fuel filter is old and the screen is breaking down.

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Another minor repair was the replacement of the clutch!!!
One of the ears where the dampening springs are installed broke off and its neighbor was cracked. Went as expected for the removal and the install took a little bit longer as I have to work off of a creeper and there isn't an extra set of hands to lift and position.
I went with the NAPA kit this time instead of the Advnce Auto kit. YUUGE difference! It is a LUK set with a grazable throw out bearing. I also put the input shaft bushing in the deep freeze to shrink it some. I was able to drive it in with minimal effort.
All in all a much better feel and dare I say smoother drive than the other. $150 well spent.

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
The PO said when I bought it that "there's a new starter in it".......sure......
Finally broke. No idea why the teeth are stripped and the nose piece is cracked?
Look the pictures over and let me know your thoughts.
Thx

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Well for the last few days I've been pecking away at my hardtop hatch getting it sorted. I made latch catches out of some 18 ga. I had laying around so that the latches weren't striking against the fiberglass pockets they engaged. Fairly straightforward for those. I'm going to pull them back off to media blast them and then it's into the zinc bath for a little electroplating here in the shop. I'll post that up as well.

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg