• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 frame off refresh - finally

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Rosco1974 has been coaching me up a bit over the last couple of days regarding antenna and speakers to go with my vintage Clarion 4300 stereo off of Craigslist. It was an astronomical $20! I got the antenna from NAPA for $10 and the Pioneer 5 1/4" speakers from Best Buy for $25. Not too bad on the budget so far to appease Mrs. CJ8 the Finance Minister.

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 7.54.13 PM.png

Here's a shot of the universal top or side mount antenna. Roscoe1974 advised me to look out for one that would protrude into the heater box which this one does not. I'm just glad to finally have filled that hole!

LBGWduN3R1iQhMcGXjwREQ.jpg

Then it was on to the installation of the speakers. Just know that if you EVER plan on putting speakers into your Jeep chase the threads with an 8-32 die while the dash is out! It's a complete pain in the aspirin to do with the dash in. I did end up breaking one of them though. What I did was to put nuts on the studs leaving them just about 3/4 of way threaded on the stud so that the new modern speaker would have some set back for the cone or tweeter or whatever the thing is that sticks out. I then used lock washers and wing nuts with a dab of loctite on them per Roscoe1974.

nhB7YAqFT22CLXD63mFwbw.jpg

%CnOBa9ASHaA9tYwL+iKRg.jpg

Stay tuned.....radio install coming up

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
It's been in for a bit. Sounds great, just nice to have tunes in the thing. I'm using a cassette tape adapter plugged into my phone for Spotify/XM. Works out just fine. Need to get a pair of 6x9's for the back now. My seller also has an amp he'd sell to me too. Think I'm going to do it. It should be nice when I put the full hard top on this winter.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Well I ended up picking up the amp too. Now all I have to do is install it.

d+Wcqx5ZRauqWSfBQgSQkQ.jpgJ59UEdzuROidyfGNGzPIBg.jpgJ%%rDDLSTneLFe54rDRBWA.jpg

then I bought a 20 gallon poly tank from Kenny over in Pinetown, NC (great guy to deal with!). I also got my stainless bug screen, don't ask, I've always wanted one. As is the case with these old gasoline vapor hardened grommets I needed 2 new ones. A quick search later, Amazon Prime and BOOm they're here. Now all I need is either a skid plate or make one. I think I've got a line on an OEM skid plate so I'll wait that one out.

fullsizeoutput_8c0.jpeg

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Wow that hose is pretty bad!

On a completely unrelated note.....I have that same watch band. :)

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
no idea of what the tank last saw. it's from Kenny in ENC, Watson and Son Jeep Parts. I don't think it saw liquid in the last 15 years. Going with the Crown unit as that's the best according to the forum. Just got to get it functioning properly so I can depend on it and not writing the odometer reading and gallons filled on the windshield in dry erase marker (my pilot idea!)

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
It's here! Wait no more!
Well, I ended up scoring a 20 gallon poly tank, skid plate and, and, and.......an electric in tank pump. I felt a little bad giving the guy $65 for the tank and skid plate so I went hunting "smalls" and found a set of stainless steel outside mirrors.
Here's what a deal looks like;

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I'm not going to let this IPA powered build thread, with a healthy helping of Old Milwaukee get derailed by a Dos Equis meme. Though I do consider myself the world's most interesting man!

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Ok, I got the skid plate all cleaned up, etching primer and matte black paint on the outside. Came out really nice and I like it better than the silver cube I have there now.

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

On the inside I scuffed the rust with a cupped wire wheel and wiped it with MEK. Then out came the phosphoric acid, it's all about converting iron oxide, rust, to iron phosphate. I did this to my frame after I stripped the paint with aircraft stripper, wire wheeled and steam cleaned it.. This is the best way to prevent the further corrosion of pieces that have already had rust formed on them. Worth noting is that the OEM material does have a mini spangle hot dipped galvanized treatment.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Here's how the USPS/FedEx delivered my sending unit yesterday
A big box
IMG_0068.jpg

with a little box in it!

IMG_0069.jpg

Here's what came in the kit

IMG_0073.jpg

Got this little brass dandy so I don't have the float half full happen again

IMG_0074.jpg

Ohm'd out at full, half and empty. Goo to go!

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Then the moment of truth........will the gauge read correctly?..................Drum roll please.....

FULL

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

half-sies

IMG_0082.jpg