• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

2019 EJS and SOA National/Sand Hollow prep/trip

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
is that M-715 concept real...the colors/tone, etc. almost make it look like a computer generated image? But I like it....not to mention the bottle opener on the rear bumper.

The J-6 is sweet and I kinda like the integrated roto-pak can on the gladiator concept...fills in the long tail.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I’ve got a cigar for you, when I see you.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Is that a stock Comanche in the background?

Yep, unsold and less than 200 miles.

I’m staying with Nena Barlow here and she set up the media event. She told me she had to back it off the trailer that they dragged it out there on (no small feat, while not requiring 4WD, it’s far from a smooth trail). When she started backing it off there were no brakes at all. Luckily it was into sand and stopped on its own ?

Info sheet in the passenger seat:
7A87D3AA-ECE3-4082-880B-D6396A9EA2B9.jpeg

Reactions: SKT

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
J-6 is nice, but that M-715 :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

It’s cool in a never-ever-going-to-have-it and so-over-the-top-it’s-ridiculous way. I didn’t even drive it because WTF is the point of idling along a supercharged Hellcrate engine? Neat to look at, but of little practical use.

The bed was super cool in how it was made though. I can’t imagine how long it took to put together.

Ack. Photos of it are on my DSLR. Have to add them later.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
How's the headroom?

Better than a JL or Gladiator. No freedom panels or roll bar/speaker bar means MUCH better room.

This is my head touching the freedom panels in the Wayout. I really made an impact on a couple of FCA people today when I showed them exactly how they screwed up the ergonomics for tall people.

53F6E6F7-024B-4A05-A60F-C86AEFB47419.jpeg

I was explaining to the head of Mopar accessories how my view is abysmal with the placement of the non-adjustable rear view mirror so I took this picture to duplicate my view to show her with the driver seat adjusted as best I could manage (back of my head still hit the speaker bar). This was in the Gravity concept with the windshield folded.

1FA39CBC-8A69-4E17-9A40-6B80481BF401.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
is that M-715 concept real...the colors/tone, etc. almost make it look like a computer generated image? But I like it....not to mention the bottle opener on the rear bumper.

The J-6 is sweet and I kinda like the integrated roto-pak can on the gladiator concept...fills in the long tail.

Yep, fully real. The brushed aluminum look is a wrap. The bed is utterly insane and I totally get your computer rendering comment.

05127F25-5426-4B4B-BEE2-A2AAF90B7E03.jpeg95B7277B-0C8B-4728-9681-16934A3D1A98.jpegD994FFC6-810A-45B3-B395-2F485C7B80F7.jpeg8B80D35A-C8FB-4649-9AC7-52E6DFB01E9C.jpeg25CDB891-D1D6-4EFD-8BD4-9370BA0C3A3A.jpeg55C818F2-91B1-4DD7-A1FB-33153EFC82A8.jpeg21FBB3B0-8FBF-401A-ACCE-73DBBD05D8BC.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
And as I stated, I refused to drive the “Scrambler” concept. The FCA lead for media came up to me and asked if I wanted to drive it and I told him exactly why, too.

Don’t &$@# with the Scrambler name, dammit. :angry:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I mentioned that I’m staying in a rental house with Nena Barlow, made it in to check out her new (since I was last here) shop right in the heart of downtown. She is one of the greatest people I’ve met in the industry, hands down.

The Orange JL is her personal DD/trail rig, Ginger. They have a number of Gladiators they’re renting and there are a SHOCKING number of Gladiators running around here in general.

A5F07E3D-94D1-498D-8F63-33D586C53D39.jpegA7200302-CD74-4E2F-A872-ED0B2C3179B7.jpegCD783024-A746-42D7-B4A7-FE921B364E84.jpeg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Yep, unsold and less than 200 miles.

I’m staying with Nena Barlow here and she set up the media event. She told me she had to back it off the trailer that they dragged it out there on (no small feat, while not requiring 4WD, it’s far from a smooth trail). When she started backing it off there were no brakes at all. Luckily it was into sand and stopped on its own ?

Info sheet in the passenger seat:
View attachment 71887
Is it me or is this tag wrong.
150 cid inline 6????

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE
Wow, awesome updates - thanks for sharing all the details and pics! Looks like a heckuva of a good time! Surprised to hear that there are so many Gladiators already in the area and available to rent. Info on the web still seems limited; albeit, more pics are quickly appearing.

Who actually designs and builds these concept rigs? Is it FCA or private shops? I don’t recall ever seeing this info provided - maybe it’s not releasable? Just curious, because some of the work on a few of those concepts is amazing and the design approach is noteworthy too!

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Great day so far other than the most insane headwinds I’ve driven through since the storms in Nebraska back in 2014 on the way here.

The golf nerd in me had to watch Tiger’s win, sat in a brew pub in Dillon for that and then headed west. Got here around 6.

Had to celebrate with one good beer when Tiger won. Dillon DAM Brewpub was a cool place to watch.
View attachment 71813View attachment 71814View attachment 71815

Got stopped in Vail for mountain goats.
View attachment 71816

Last gas stop before Moab and ended up next to a most fitting vehicle.
View attachment 71817

Utah, then Moab, then the SICK rental place I lucked into. Lots of beds two full baths, two half baths, a CRAZY equipped shop WITH A BAR!
View attachment 71818View attachment 71819View attachment 71820View attachment 71821View attachment 71822
You have literally eaten at two of my favorite places. Went to BeauJo's and the DAM Brewery alot when we lived in Denver. Sadly, I haven't been back in almost 4 years.

I miss it.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
This is my head touching the freedom panels in the Wayout. I really made an impact on a couple of FCA people today when I showed them exactly how they screwed up the ergonomics for tall people.
Maybe the concept designers can get reassigned to work on some "real world" issues after the showing. :shrug:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, awesome updates - thanks for sharing all the details and pics! Looks like a heckuva of a good time! Surprised to hear that there are so many Gladiators already in the area and available to rent. Info on the web still seems limited; albeit, more pics are quickly appearing.

Who actually designs and builds these concept rigs? Is it FCA or private shops? I don’t recall ever seeing this info provided - maybe it’s not releasable? Just curious, because some of the work on a few of those concepts is amazing and the design approach is noteworthy too!

Gladiators are shockingly everywhere. There are a TON of FCA/Jeep people here running around in them, they had a press run in them today and yesterday (for bigger fish than me) and I’d say they easily outnumber all the CJs and YJs I’ve seen combined.

The concepts are built and maintained in house by a team led by Mark Allen, head of design. Until this year, they’d had Nukizer here using it as a runaround rig, but I’ve not seen it yet. The blue Wagoneer on the JK frame is though.