• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Alaskan Postal Scrambler/World Cab - count/registry - help build the list

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
One to add that’s in amazing condition. Thanks @Chamba!

limited info on ad, asking $25k, listed in “canyon country”:

1984 jeep postal scrambler 4.0 engine conversion runs great automatic floor shift

97752 miles per ad.
C9993D65-4282-40FB-B413-D20812D5B55D.jpegC2FD2725-B462-4942-9D8D-3680296734F0.jpeg10094B15-32B9-4857-AC4E-99458AFCF6ED.jpegDB4FF281-F9AF-43FE-BEAC-E57EB00FC556.jpeg7401CFBD-5B0B-4B8D-8BB8-780B4B21F6DD.jpeg81337C3C-9D7D-42C4-8F49-1651377D7530.jpeg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Interesting that the VIN on the sticker checks out as an 84 CJ8 but the description shows 83 CJ7 at the top of the sticker

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Interesting that the VIN on the sticker checks out as an 84 CJ8 but the description shows 83 CJ7 at the top of the sticker
That’s a California BAR replacement vin label. Basically means the vehicle has a later model engine swap and has jumped through all the hoops to have it inspected and certified legal in California. As such, that’s an incredible “added value” if you live in a smog state. As far as the CJ-7 “typo”, I would guess it’s a BAR error or a lazy clerk just entering the first thing that came up.

I used to live in that area. You always saw nice vehicles there. “Roadhouse” and “Dukes of Hazard “ were filmed there. Lots of good memories growing up. Saw my first Scrambler there at the local Jeep dealer back in 85. But we were expecting and ended up with a more “family friendly” S10 Blazer.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That’s a California BAR replacement vin label. Basically means the vehicle has a later model engine swap and has jumped through all the hoops to have it inspected and certified legal in California. As such, that’s an incredible “added value” if you live in a smog state. As far as the CJ-7 “typo”, I would guess it’s a BAR error or a lazy clerk just entering the first thing that came up.
First one of those labels I’ve seen and I didn’t think you could do that legally in CA even if it were a newer/better engine.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Similar to Australia where it's called an "engineering compliance certificate". Very hard to get but possible. Like many government agencies, not at all uncommon to have typos on a difficult-to-get certificate.

Last edited:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
First one of those labels I’ve seen and I didn’t think you could do that legally in CA even if it were a newer/better engine.
You can, so long as it meets factory I/M for the original vehicle that the newer engine came from, AND you get it passed by a California referee.

When Anchorage had California I/M, it essentially ended legal engine swaps because you'd have to take the vehicle to California to a referee station to get that sticker.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Just FYI, that postal belongs to a member here. Not sure he wants to be identified. Really nice guy and has poured his heart, not to mention tons of time, into that Jeep. Anyone would be lucky to have it. Hope it stays with someone here.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Just FYI, that postal belongs to a member here. Not sure he wants to be identified. Really nice guy and has poured his heart, not to mention tons of time, into that Jeep. Anyone would be lucky to have it. Hope it stays with someone here.
Heck, I was hoping it would go to you! :thumbsup:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If I had the asking price I would have loved to have bought it. Scramblers have got really expensive.
Doesn’t seem out of line at all for a beautifully restomodded, smogged, complete World Cab postal that’s ready to go. That’s a ton of metal work and paint over any other Scrambler when you add the rear door and top.

I was thinking it’s a bit of a bargain with the World Cab as that’s pretty much the going rate for a normal Scrambler in this kind of condition.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Doesn’t seem out of line at all for a beautifully restomodded, smogged, complete World Cab postal that’s ready to go. That’s a ton of metal work and paint over any other Scrambler when you add the rear door and top.

I was thinking it’s a bit of a bargain with the World Cab as that’s pretty much the going rate for a normal Scrambler in this kind of condition.
Me too. That sounds pretty cheap for a Postal in that condition. People are trying to sell regular CJ-5's and CJ-7's for that kind of money around here.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Let’s not get off on a tangent talking about this ad. Sorry for that.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Cool! So similar to mine with the stance one lift ago and I ran those same tires on the circular-hole style of those same wheels too! Awesome!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Ive got postal #94 as accounted for in the registry...now that it has been many more years of this thread was curious if any new additions or folks seeing this have the original numbered dog tag?