Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Randy, while we don’t know each other I understand what you’re going through having lost my wife of 42 years last year after complications from a fall and stroke. My prayer every day is simply, Lord, give me strength. Stay strong. If you get to eastern NC let me know.
So sorry for your loss. I’ll keep you in my prayers also.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Praying for you and your family.
My Dad's memory was going before we lost him, not dementia or anything. When I asked when he was in Vietnam and he said 1990 and 1992, I was instantly very sad. So tough to see loved ones not being who they once where.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Chester
State
Ma
So sorry to hear about the events of your life. You sound like you are heading towards changes for the better. Remember life and time will continue on, no matter how we would like it to slow down for us, it moves like water in a mighty river. All we can do is move with it, but we can choose how we do that. Three years ago I was injured at work. I learned how to do things based on my physical limits. Never thought about if I could do it, just thought about the how and managed to get it done. I ended up going from 13 Jeep vehicles to just 3. I agree with you on the getting out from under projects and spending more time with friends and family. I still have both of my parents and feel blessed to have them. My mom has been going through both physical and memorie issues for a while now. All we can do is hang onto them as long as we can and love them. Getting yourself to a better physical and emotional place is important . Keep your chin up and move forward.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Well, things aren’t getting any easier. Mom fell again this morning and compression fractured a vertebrae. So she’s back in the hospital and I really don’t know what the next step is. The hospital is just playing it by ear.

adman02

Basic User
City
Durham
State
nc
Randyzzz, I don't know you and I'm pretty new to this board, so apologies to you and the other board members if any of what I'm about to offer up is out of line. (FWIW, my mom is dealing with dementia too, so I can relate to your situation).
• Read the book "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande. He's a physician that tackles the issue of how to deal with the end of life. He gives some good questions to ask the doctors and healthcare workers who are helping your mom and some good questions to ask yourself.
• Talk to hospice. That's scary advice, but I've learned in my research that the biggest mistake people make with aging parents is waiting too long to call Hospice. That's because most people think of it as being only for death-bed situations. That's a misunderstanding. They are really good at helping you lay out a plan for your loved one - what do they want out of the days/months/years they have left? And they can point you to helpful resources and help you develop strategies for dealing with dementia and dementia-related issues.

Again, please know I'm offering this up with positive intent. I wish the best for you as you work through this challenging season of your life.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I'm onboard with that too. Hospice is a wealth of information and they have suggestions and access to many agencies that can help you with your needs. You won't feel so alone in dealing with this.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear this. Many of us can relate to this, my self included. When my Grandma fell years ago and broke her leg, it was all downhill from there. Very rapidly her dementia kicked in. I have no idea how they have anything to do with each other but it did. She was just nowhere near the same after that fall. Maybe it was just a matter of taking her out of her normal routine that threw things off. Anyway, prayers are with you and your family.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey Randy, I am really sorry to hear about your mom. I will certainly keep you and your family in my prayers.

My parents have recently moved near me and my dad is not doing well. It is jarring to find your parents, who have been your solid support since forever suddenly need you to be solid support for them. I am glad to have the chance at that, at least.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
So sorry Randy. When my dad started having fall issues, he had to move to using a scooter all the time and a walker when he needed to stand. After initial resistance to the scooter, he very quickly became much happier having it and being relieved of the fall risk. His mood in general improved greatly.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That would be a great solution but I think her dementia and general fear of anything motorized would keep it from working. I have suggested a scooter like at the grocery store and she was afraid to try that, even before her dementia became a factor.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Sorry to hear Randy. We are going through the same thing with Jannie’s mom. We will add you and your family to our prayer list.

I can relate with the weight problem. I just like to eat. I’m already at my “winter weight”. Maybe we can have a CJ-8 weight loss competition. A Snickers Ice Cream Bar as first prize!

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
It has been a while since I’ve done any updates or posts either on my J 20 build or much of anything else. The last thing I want is for my Scrambler family to think I have abandoned them. So I figured today would be a good time to sit down and share what’s been going on in my life.

As you probably know from my other threads, the remodel and shop building process took a lot longer and cost a lot more than expected. But it was all worth it as it enabled my mom to move from living alone in California to living with us here in Oregon. However once the building process was completed, things never really returned to normal as projects are never really done, and most importantly my mom was showing the early signs of dementia. Also, I was and still am suffering from several unresolved physical challenges mostly from being overweight.

About 10 weeks ago, my mom had a substantial fall resulting in what has seemed to be an extremely accelerated progression of her dementia. Within the next 5 days I got hardly any sleep, she suffered 2 more falls, and on Labor Day she fell hard enough to break her hip. It was a non-surgical break, but she ended up spending a week in the hospital and then was moved to a rehab facility for three weeks. Her mental condition deteriorated to the point where we knew there was no way she would be able to come home again. We are able to find a good assisted living situation for her, however her mental state continued to deteriorate to where they are currently suggesting we put her in memory care. At this rate we really don’t know what the future holds and we are in limbo. We do know that the home that was created to bring us all together is now much too large and costly to be sustainable for a long time.

I have mentioned before the desire to relocate, possibly to the coastal region of North Carolina. As a family we have decided that once my mom passes on this will be the plan.

This journey has caused me to take a long look at my life, where I am, and what I really want in the future. I have come to the realization that I need to take care of myself physically, but that I also need to spend more time doing things and enjoying time with the people I love instead of hiding in my shop with a never ending list of projects.

So... those who have known me for a while might want to sit down. I have decided that realistically as a one man show there is no way I can really buy, build, and resell Jeeps as a viable business plan. I’m going to be cleaning house, keeping what I personally want, and selling the rest. I will be selling the J-20 as a project shell, keeping the engine/trans/transfer for my K1500. I will be selling Copper, my 82 Scrambler, once I re-coat the fenders and finish a few minor things that I have left undone. I will be selling all but one of the Wagoneer’s. I will keep the 81 Scrambler and build it as a keeper and likewise build one of the Wagoneer’s as a keeper.

Once I have ideas of pricing and eta I’ll post up here first- give you guys first shot. If you’re interested feel free to let me know, although I don’t want to break any forum rules- this isn’t a for sale post, just a life update.

If you’ve read through this far, thank you. And if you’re the praying kind, we all could sure use some.
Randy, while we don’t know each other I understand what you’re going through having lost my wife of 42 years last year after complications from a fall and stroke. My prayer every day is simply, Lord, give me strength. Stay strong. If you get to eastern NC let me know.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Randy you are my best forum friend and you were essential in guiding me through my Stump Jumper build. Now I wish there was something I could do to help you. Take care of yourself my friend.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Randy you are my best forum friend and you were essential in guiding me through my Stump Jumper build. Now I wish there was something I could do to help you. Take care of yourself my friend.
Thank you, Dennis. Trying my best.