• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

An update, could use some prayers.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
It has been a while since I’ve done any updates or posts either on my J 20 build or much of anything else. The last thing I want is for my Scrambler family to think I have abandoned them. So I figured today would be a good time to sit down and share what’s been going on in my life.

As you probably know from my other threads, the remodel and shop building process took a lot longer and cost a lot more than expected. But it was all worth it as it enabled my mom to move from living alone in California to living with us here in Oregon. However once the building process was completed, things never really returned to normal as projects are never really done, and most importantly my mom was showing the early signs of dementia. Also, I was and still am suffering from several unresolved physical challenges mostly from being overweight.

About 10 weeks ago, my mom had a substantial fall resulting in what has seemed to be an extremely accelerated progression of her dementia. Within the next 5 days I got hardly any sleep, she suffered 2 more falls, and on Labor Day she fell hard enough to break her hip. It was a non-surgical break, but she ended up spending a week in the hospital and then was moved to a rehab facility for three weeks. Her mental condition deteriorated to the point where we knew there was no way she would be able to come home again. We are able to find a good assisted living situation for her, however her mental state continued to deteriorate to where they are currently suggesting we put her in memory care. At this rate we really don’t know what the future holds and we are in limbo. We do know that the home that was created to bring us all together is now much too large and costly to be sustainable for a long time.

I have mentioned before the desire to relocate, possibly to the coastal region of North Carolina. As a family we have decided that once my mom passes on this will be the plan.

This journey has caused me to take a long look at my life, where I am, and what I really want in the future. I have come to the realization that I need to take care of myself physically, but that I also need to spend more time doing things and enjoying time with the people I love instead of hiding in my shop with a never ending list of projects.

So... those who have known me for a while might want to sit down. I have decided that realistically as a one man show there is no way I can really buy, build, and resell Jeeps as a viable business plan. I’m going to be cleaning house, keeping what I personally want, and selling the rest. I will be selling the J-20 as a project shell, keeping the engine/trans/transfer for my K1500. I will be selling Copper, my 82 Scrambler, once I re-coat the fenders and finish a few minor things that I have left undone. I will be selling all but one of the Wagoneer’s. I will keep the 81 Scrambler and build it as a keeper and likewise build one of the Wagoneer’s as a keeper.

Once I have ideas of pricing and eta I’ll post up here first- give you guys first shot. If you’re interested feel free to let me know, although I don’t want to break any forum rules- this isn’t a for sale post, just a life update.

If you’ve read through this far, thank you. And if you’re the praying kind, we all could sure use some.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Man, you sure have a lot on your plate. Take care of yourself and your family. The rest will sort itself out. Best of luck to you and your family. We will be praying for you.
Mike

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just in the last few years I've started to feel the aging process myself. Downsizing some will take some of the stress off of you. Maybe I'll be able to meet up with you someday in NC, heading there with some friends midweek to meet up with another friend that lives up there for some good time fun. Hope it all works for you ! We also will be keeping you in our thoughts & prayers. Was hoping to meet where you are now, but just haven't been back to the Bend area to visit my good friend up there since I lost my mother last year in Medford

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Prayers for you from NorCal, Randy!

I haven't been up your way in a while, but if I get there while you're still there, maybe we can go have a beer.

Take it easy, my friend.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I'll be thinking of you and your family as well. Wishing all the best to you as you work through this difficult time.

As much as we say we love our Jeeps... they are just things though that when it comes down to it are nowhere near as important as family.

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
I am praying for you and your family, Randy. I just lost my father last month to esophageal cancer after a 9 month illness. It is hard watching your parent go down no matter how it happens. I hope that you will continue to have clarity about the best direction for your life.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Thanks for the prayers. I guess I should also ask for clarity on how to move forward...

That being said I put an ad up for the J-20. And I think that if I can I’ll just sell all the Wagoneer’s and find another once we get moved.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Hey, I’m really sorry to hear about your Mother. I lost my mother 4 years ago with some very similar circumstances. I hope that your plans work out the way you want. When you get to this side of the country, we’ll have to get together.

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
City
slatington
State
pa
Prayers going up Randy. Hoping your life takes a turn for the better very soon. Hang in there and keep your head up. Maybe at some point we will meet up. Love the Outer Banks.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Prayers for you and your family Randy. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. That's not easy for sure. I hope she can find comfort.

But, it sounds like you have a solid plan to move forward, especially trying to take better care of yourself and spending more time with the family. Everyone here on the forum are all pulling for you!!! God bless!

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I just had to bury my grandmother last weekend due to accelerated dementia. It's a horrible, horrible disease. Praying that you have faith that all things happen for a reason and that there is a far greater place than this to look forward to. Stuff is just stuff and there is always something new or different to tinker with. People only stick around here for so long, so hopefully you can make the most of sharing time with them during your time here. Hang in there and take care of yourself.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Hate to hear what you're going through. Went through the same thing with my grandmother in 2006-2007. Right down to the repeated falls and acceleration of the disease. It's tough. Will keep you and your family in our prayers.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Thoughts and prayers. Dealing with dementia can be rough on everyone. Let us know if there is anything you need. My mom is somewhat of an expert on Alzheimer's and less so dementia (mostly because they get swapped); she has even written a book on the subject for caregivers.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
It seems that you have your priorities in good order, big changes that took a lot of thought and glad to see you're proactive with these changes instead of reactive. It sounds like you have good support from your family which makes a huge difference and will lighten the load. Jeeps will always be there and building them will still be in your blood but over on the other coast you'll be dealing with a lot more rust.:giggle: Prayers headed your way.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Oh man, so sorry to hear all of this Randy. I think you know the hell I've been through with both of my parents and I totally empathize with everything you’re dealing with.

Take care of you and your family and do whatever is best for that. Hope the Jeeps find great homes and things start improving for you.