• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Another Scrambler Purchase/Road Trip - UPDATE- BODY ON FRAME AGAIN

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Mods might want to move this thread to the "Builds Section" next month, once I get started:popcorn:

I bought this Scrambler to make into my new trail rig. I like driving my Green Scrambler, but I dont have the heart to modify it to make it offroad worthy, it is too original. So, I am selling my current trail rig (CJ-7) and I am going to build this Scrambler into my new trail rig.

My definition of" trail rig" might be different then most. This isnt going to have a V8 (have one now, hate the gas mileage), no one ton axles, crazy link suspensions, or any real body mods to it. I am going to be reusing all of the strock powertrain, but specific upgrdes will be made. My goal is to have a Scrambler that I can comfortably and safely drive on the interstate and the trails. My current CJ-7 meets my goals, so this Jeep will be modified in much the same ways:thumbsup: Here is my plan:

Engine - I will be keeping the current 258 I6. This motor held over 55 psi of oil pressure all the way back from Indiana, pulls very strong, and doesnt make any funny noise. I might run a compression test on it, but I have no plans to rebuild it at this time. It runs that good. Only mod will be the Mopar Multi Point Fuel Injection kit, which I have sitting in a box in my garage right now. Will also put a metal valve cover on it and change a few other misc seals.

Transmission - I am going to reuse the current T-176 that it currently has. It shifts fine, no bad vibes or any issues except it has some leaks. I will rebuild it with new bearings and seals.

T - Case - I plan on rebuilding it with new seals and bearings, only issue is some leaks. I will probably put a clocking ring on it to increase ground clearance, and maybe in the future put some lower gears in it if I feel it is needed.

Rear End - Going to keep the AMC 20. Complete rebuild with:
New ring and pinion (probably 3.73 or 4.10) Currently has 3.31
Selectable Locker (probably OX, but I might put a Aussie full time locker in it)
Warn Full Float axle kit (sitting in the garage)
Will probably stich weld the tubes to the center section while I have it out to rebuild

Front End - Going to keep the Dana 30. Complete rebuild with:
New ring and pinion (probably 3.73 or 4.10) Currently has 3.31
Will probably put a Aussie in the stock front carrier for now
Warn Chrome Moly front shafts that take the Dana 44 size U joints (sitting in the garage)
Really need the Warn frint hub conversion. If I cant buy another setup like this I will steal the kit off of my current CJ-7. (It replaceds the bolt on hubs with internal spline hubs like a full size truck)

Suspension - Rubicon Express 4.5" extreme duty system

Tires and wheels - looking at 34 x 10.50 LTBS on the stock rims for now

Other misc mechanical upgrades: new clutch, maybe swap to power brakes, maybe disc brakes on the back.

After I stripped off the bed liner I did some soul searching. This scrambler tub doesnt have too much rust, but I also know if I dont fix it now, and fix it right, it will only deteriate. I know its going to be my trail rig, BUT my plans for the body and frame are:

Frame - excellent shape, will media blast and repaint inside and out. It doesnt have any cracks or soft spots, just surface rust.

Body - Media blast the entire body and repaint the entire thing, everywhere. Replacement panels ordered are as follows (all from classic enterprises):

rear bed floor piece - current one is still solid but it is dented and has lots of pinn holes
rear bed, front pasenger side corner piece - currently has a patch. The other 3 are solid, as are the wheel wells
front floor pans where your feet go - It currently has solid patch pieces in place but I want it to look original so I ordered new floor pans.

Other body pieces to order: windshield frame (current one is rusted along bottom edge), tailgate (current one is dented pretty bad, but no rust) and need another bulkhead (current one is rusted out along the bottom edge, should be buying one soon)

I plan on repainting the entire Scrambler Sebring Red and putting back on some repro decals. I will also paint my rocker guards to mach the paint so that i can put the factory decals on them and the scheme will match. Will paint 1/2 hard top Nutmeg and replace seats and interior with Nutmeg pieces.

ART000237491-1.jpg

This should keep me busy for awhile:D

Other plans are mounting my Warn 9500 on the front, building a rear bumper tire carrier to mount on the current rear bumper, Rock Hard In Cab Cage, etc etc:rolleyes:

Sounds like alot of work for a "trail jeep", but I want a solid, reliable, good looking Scrambler I can be proud of:thumbsup:

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Moved, you started the planning, it's on as far as I'm concerned :thumbsup:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Ordered more parts yesterday:

Rubicon Express 4.5 suspension kit
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/SuspensionSystems/Product.aspx?part=RE5525

Rock Hard 4x4 In Cab cage + floor mount kit. Will have to see how I will tie it into the frame at the front, depends on the rock sliders I use.
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/cj8-79.html

Should have a bulkhead heading my way soon:thumbsup:
Should also have a Nutmeg NOS 1/2 soft top heading my way, too.

Still need to order the following:

Body Mounts
New fuel and brake hard lines
New gas tank
Heavy duty shackle hangers
1 piece steering box mount
(want all the above parts to put on the frame before I put body back on)

Decided to redo the axles now too, need to get the following:

Ring and Pinions + Bearings for front and rear (will buy from the local guy who sets up Ring and Pinions and builds driveshafts)
New clutch
Tranny and t-case rebuild kits
Warn 37132 front hub conversion (somebody please help me on this :bow::thumbsup:)

Plus a zillion other thing after I at least get the body back on the frame ( ss bolt kit, seats, dash pad, misc lights and lenses etc etc etc :D)

I haven't started any work yet, still filling the garage with parts;)

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
very nice, your rear bumper gives me ideas :)

I am probably going to keep this bumper but add a tire carrier to it. I will also try to make some pieces that will tie the "side wings"(parts that are on each side that go back towrd the back tires) into the frame:thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
No real progress on my build yet (been busy working on other peoples jeeps:crazy:) BUT I have been busy buying more parts:thumbsup: Here are some pics of parts:D

Floor Pans, Roll Cage, Lift
100_4412-1.jpg

100_4413-1.jpg

NOS Whitco 1/2 Soft Top
100_4419-1.jpg

Quick pic of the scrambler while it is still in one piece:rolleyes:
100_4418-1.jpg

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Oh my!

Raymond......It's NAKED!

:wave:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
For some reasson I had it in my mind it was dark blue under all that Rhino liner. :confused:

It's looking good my friend and look forward to seeing the "End Product".

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I got bored this weekend and started taking the Scrambler apart
100_4420-1.jpg

100_4421-1.jpg

A quick pic of my two Scramblers
100_4422-1.jpg

More disassembly
100_4423-1.jpg

100_4424-1.jpg

100_4425-1.jpg

100_4426-1.jpg

Check out the structural sheet metal repair
100_4427-1.jpg

Maybe thats why the shifter had a little slop
100_4428-1.jpg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
More random pics
100_4429-1.jpg

100_4430-1.jpg

Only surprise I found, under rollbar, already ordered the panel
100_4431-1.jpg

More pics:thumbs
100_4432-1.jpg

100_4433-1.jpg

100_4434-1.jpg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
This is my favorite pic, the one thing I was really worried about:thumbsup:
100_4435-1.jpg

That is a pic of the body mount bolts. If you have ever worked on an old, kinda rusty CJ, you know what I am talking about:thumbsup: If these things break off inside the captured nuts, you are in for a good time:banghead: I was very fortunate, 9 out of 10 came out no problems. The one that broke is no big deal since the captured nut for this one is accessible through an open ended floor reinforcement channel:D:D:D

The Jeep is still drivable right now, but the only things left to take off to pull the tub (which is loose right now, you can pick it up off the frame) are the following:

Steering Column
Dash board and wire harness
Master Cylinder
Battery Tray
Fuel Tank Evap Canister that is hid up under the rear drivers side body tub corner

Should be ready to pull tub next weekend[:D][:D][:D]

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Great luck on the body mounts! Those don't look like stock bushings on the front ones, maybe someone had replaced them all once already?

Love the deconstruction!!! :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Great luck on the body mounts! Those don't look like stock bushings on the front ones, maybe someone had replaced them all once already?

Love the deconstruction!!! :thumbsup:

Very Lucky on the body mounts:thumbsup: Yep, those front two body mounts look alot different then rest:eek:

Deconstruction is fast and easy, its the putting it back together that takes awhile:thumbsup: I have been using ziplock bags to sort and lable all the misc bolts and small parts, hopefully that will help in the reconstruction:)

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Looking good Raymond. But it still looks so NAKED! :shrug:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Did a little more last night, but forgot the camera, so I will take some pics tonight:banghead:

Anyway, pulled the radiator / grill, disconnected power steering, removed battery tray, took off master cylinder, and removed the front wire harness (disconnected the front main harness from fuse panel at the firewall).

Later:wave:

Heres the pics

100_4436-1.jpg

100_4437-1.jpg

100_4438-1.jpg

100_4439-1.jpg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
And some more deconstruction, removed steering shaft, pulled steering column, finished taking everything off the engins side of firewall:thumbsup:

100_4440-1.jpg

100_4441-1.jpg

100_4442-1.jpg

100_4443-1.jpg

Still need to remove all 4 pedals and pull dash plus a few things from the back of the tub, but I should be able to pull tub off this weekend:thumbsup:

Last edited: