bigwalton Postal teardown/rebuild - what would you do?

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
LIFETIME
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Having almost finished my Postal - if you go the rebuild body route assume its worse that you think and that you will be buying:
Both rear quarter panels from MD Juan and fixing them along the forward upper lip and the dinged up arches

Get familiar with Classic enterprises - you will likely need pretty much everything they have
Rear floor (I patched mine - took forever)
Both rear wheel housings, i repaired mine - see above
All 4 floor corner panels
Probably the rear underfloor tailgate support
Cowl reinforcements (Inside A Pillars)
The biggest floor panels you can get
Both outboard rails
Probably the full width body support ( I repaired mine - cut it off and patched)

What you will struggle with unless you find a donor is the A Pillar exterior - the triangular patches under the cowl and the cowl itself, i found that very difficult to repair and gave up on the recessed part.

I found it easier to cut the spot welds - remove and repair stuff in isolation - then weld it back at the holes drilled, that means you can clean/prep the insides of stuff, finding the spotwelds gets easy after a while.

Probably took us about a year for the body - evenings and Sunday afternoons mostly.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
As I recall, you have covered a s__t load of US states during your travels. Though I’ve been through a few, what you have done is a goal that is on my bucket list
Pretty much, everything other than the far SE and NE north of NY. I just saw my completed state map on my laptop yesterday... I’ll find it to post here.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Sounds like a challenge to me :thumbsup:
I don't know it as fact, but driving from your location to some of these places you venture is some distance and you might have BW beat for total distance. :evil: But he might have you nailed in longest distance in a one trip distance.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I don't know it as fact, but driving from your location to some of these places you venture is some distance and you might have BW beat for total distance. :evil: But he might have you nailed in longest distance in a one trip distance.
Pretty sure he has me beat, I have some catching up to do :thumbsup:

Only 43k on my red Scrambler, maybe 15k on the tan Scrambler I sold, my green Scrambler has not been too far, yet. The Colorado to Louisiana trip in a original 82 Jamboree a few years back was pretty cool, too.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
To be clear, I’m sure there are Scramblers with many, many more miles than mine, but what’s the maximum distance driven from home? It’s about the adventure and adrenaline in driving cross-country in it to me. While it’s great to put 200k or whatever on a Scrambler, if it’s never more than a couple hundred miles from home, where’s the adventure? You just drive it a lot ;) and that is cool as hell! Its just very different.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
To be clear, I’m sure there are Scramblers with many, many more miles than mine, but what’s the maximum distance driven from home? It’s about the adventure and adrenaline in driving cross-country in it to me. While it’s great to put 200k or whatever on a Scrambler, if it’s never more than a couple hundred miles from home, where’s the adventure? You just drive it a lot ;) and that is cool as hell! Its just very different.

Well said

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
That's a haul. Driven Oregon to that neighborhood a couple of times. Not in the jeep though

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Denver to La Ceiba just shy of 3,000 mi (each way). My Scrambler has never been on a trailer (tow truck a couple of times but no trailer).
Nice (I was talking in generalities, that post wasn’t directed specifically at you, FYI)

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
Longest Corpus Christi TX to Palmer Alaska in November. There is something viseral about taking a self contained multi day / week trip, not hopping hotel to hotel just trail, relying solely on what you carry. There is something truely connecting with Creation that can only be found in those places.

Now building a postal that thrives on that environment is different.

Considering things like, what are you redundent systems.
Fresh water storage.
Second spare tires how do you sleep in it during a snow storm?
Fording capability

Have you developed a means to use you front mounted winch to pull your jeep backwards.

Where do.you store to mix gas for your chainsaw.
How do you travel 1000 miles have you considered the 2.8 Cummins crate as a swap 33 gallon aero tank, 10 gallons of Jerry cans x 25 mpg= 1075 travel.

Sorry for the rambling...

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Longest Corpus Christi TX to Palmer Alaska in November. There is something viseral about taking a self contained multi day / week trip, not hopping hotel to hotel just trail, relying solely on what you carry. There is something truely connecting with Creation that can only be found in those places.

Now building a postal that thrives on that environment is different.

Considering things like, what are you redundent systems.
Fresh water storage.
Second spare tires how do you sleep in it during a snow storm?
Fording capability

Have you developed a means to use you front mounted winch to pull your jeep backwards.

Where do.you store to mix gas for your chainsaw.
How do you travel 1000 miles have you considered the 2.8 Cummins crate as a swap 33 gallon aero tank, 10 gallons of Jerry cans x 25 mpg= 1075 travel.

Sorry for the rambling...
no 2.8, sorry