• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hello all - and looking for a Scrambler!

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
there's just sumpt'n sexy about those turbine wheels

Yeah, they were cool. The thing about that car was it had all the correct AMX stuff, wheels, centercaps, fender flares, steering wheel. EVERYTHING! Well, except for one thing, the front spoiler. I started a thread on an AMC site about having them reproduced and a bunch of guys joined in. They ultimately started making them around the time I sold it.

The guy who bought it was about to start restoring another 1979 AMX, except his was a rust bucket. As I mentioned, this one was amazingly rust free. The buyer kept sticking his head in the wheel wells and under the floor pans and kept saying, "Oh My God! Oh My God!" It was that moment when I realized I should have asked for more money. :LOL: J/K, I'm glad he ended up with it.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I've had six. Still have three.

But I ordered this one new: 1989 decal delete, G92, BW 9 bolt 3.45, KC4 oil cooler, N10 dual cats, MK6 T5 5 speed, LB9. It became quickly apparent to me that I wasn't going to drive it to work and park it in the lot and I certainly wasn't going to drive it in the winter! Still have it with 11K miles.

View attachment 70402
Beautiful! Back in the day I had a 88' GTA. Great car. About 10 years ago I was looking for a real nice 3rd gen Camaro. I couldn't find what I wanted and I ended up buying a pretty sweet Corvette.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
Beautiful! Back in the day I had a 88' GTA. Great car. About 10 years ago I was looking for a real nice 3rd gen Camaro. I couldn't find what I wanted and I ended up buying a pretty sweet Corvette.

Nice C4 Corvettes are going for less than nice IROCs nowadays. They're still a bargain. If you're ever looking for another 3rd gen and need another opinion, I'd be happy to help.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, that Camaro is freaking hot (I'm a sucker for decal delete on most any car and it's what I'll do to the modern Challenger that I'll eventually own) and I love the AMXs too.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
Wow, that Camaro is freaking hot (I'm a sucker for decal delete on most any car and it's what I'll do to the modern Challenger that I'll eventually own) and I love the AMXs too.

You have no idea how I had to fight the salesman on that. He figured I was doing it just to get the $60 credit and then planning in applying the decals later. That is, after I had to prove to him that option decal delete DX3 actually existed.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
You have no idea how I had to fight the salesman on that. He figured I was doing it just to get the $60 credit and then planning in applying the decals later. That is, after I had to prove to him that option decal delete DX3 actually existed.

Well done sir. :cheers:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
The only car that I ever liked with decals was the Black 76-77 Trans Am.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
Anyways, back on CJ8s. I've seen a couple advertised with fiberglass bodies. Not really what I'm looking for, but what do you guys think of that?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Anyways, back on CJ8s. I've seen a couple advertised with fiberglass bodies. Not really what I'm looking for, but what do you guys think of that?

That's not what I would be looking for, either. Don't settle for less than what you want, the right Scrambler will show up soon enough!

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Not a big fan. Just my opinion though!

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Nice C4 Corvettes are going for less than nice IROCs nowadays. They're still a bargain. If you're ever looking for another 3rd gen and need another opinion, I'd be happy to help.
I ended up with an awesome 05' C6. But the C4s are nice rides too.

Speaking of decals, I think Jeep CJs have some of the coolest decal sets of any vehicle made. And Imo, the CJ8 is just naked without, including mine.?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX

If I lived in a northern state with salted roads AND I was planning to drive it on salted roads I would consider it. That or an aqualu aluminum body.

If it was a trail only rig, I’d lean aqualu.

If mild trail and street queen, steel all the way.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I am a big fan of the fiberglass bodies. I've built several and have 4 presently along with 3 steel scramblers. It all depends on personel taste and purpose. I've never tried to pass of a glass one for metal and ive driven glass ones a lot more than the metal i recon because i'm not quite as concerned of someone else banging up my pride and joy. The best part of the Jeep world is every single one is someones idea of their perfect toy.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
I ended up with an awesome 05' C6. But the C4s are nice rides too.

Speaking of decals, I think Jeep CJs have some of the coolest decal sets of any vehicle made. And Imo, the CJ8 is just naked without, including mine.?

I agree. The decals on a CJ8 are almost a must.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That's pretty cool. Price is right! But I wonder what under that diamond plate?
For that price, who really cares? Body panels are plentiful and not terribly difficult to weld in. That's a really good deal, especially with the 8274-50 thrown in.