bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Tomorrow (today) is the day. Back together to fire short of priming the oil pump and dropping the dizzy and wires in.

Double double checks of everything tomorrow and then it’s time to get this thing going 🤞

Got the engine and trans in yesterday.
8CC0B712-9461-4889-9DEE-03DD13B2DFF5.jpeg

finally got the new steering box in to hopefully fix the ridiculous leak I had. Did a new BJ’s rag joint and wish I didn’t. Part of the delays that pushed this startup past this weekend :banghead:

77C1975D-BAE2-4453-BEA9-C31C7FE53BC1.jpeg

the actual reason that I got this setup was because it came with a great radiator and exhaust. My fuel tank setup requires an odd exhaust and this one dumps just before the rear axle. It’s beefy as hell and is really well put together but whoever built it really half assed the rear hanger.

This is the reason I couldn’t get it fired up tonight. I rebuilt the rear hanger setup completely, requiring a part store run. Now it’s as beefy as the rest of the

0BE838A4-D6CF-4F5F-BAA4-B624CC2063C4.jpeg

one of the quirks of this exhaust is that the exhaust was one piece from the y-pipe to the outlets and required dropping the trans crossmember to remove. I mocked it up and found a good point to cut to use a band style clamp to make it more maintainable. This cost me a couple hours today but if I didn’t do it now, I knew it would never happen.

DAE5A3E5-CF3B-4132-B55E-5EEEB6905409.jpeg

Had to listen to a little thump from Mater’s stereo after getting the battery hooked up. Need to reset the EFI for the 401 before I start it up. Game ON!

D7B5D5F5-08F1-4FAE-AA43-7BEB3886DC53.jpeg

Everything short of the dizzy and wires ready to go when I shut down for the night.

008EE44D-C873-47E9-995D-AC43C176583C.jpeg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Priming the oil pump ? I thought you stuffed it with vasoline from that 1 lb jar :) Many years ago I had a muffler shop put a new system in a one of the hangers was pretty shoddy work. Went back after taking a look at home an had them redo it. Looking forward to your start your engines gentleman moment.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Priming the oil pump ? I thought you stuffed it with vasoline from that 1 lb jar :) Many years ago I had a muffler shop put a new system in a one of the hangers was pretty shoddy work. Went back after taking a look at home an had them redo it. Looking forward to your start your engines gentleman moment.
I want to see oil at the cam gear through the dizzy hole. Vaseline just helps save me from extra priming.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
AHHHH, sitting here ready to go and my throttle man isn’t available until tonight now. (Cam break in requires 1500-3000 RPM immediately and varying for 20-30 minutes)

The self doubt and anxiety are KILLING ME!

What’s worse is that I am now taking my kid to NC tomorrow so I’m losing time I could be getting it ready to get on the road if the break in works. Guess I’ll just start that now and hope for the best :shrug:

9FA1A746-9AC8-4BE0-8239-365F2530101B.jpeg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I feel your pain :(

When I broke in the new cam/engine in my tan Scrambler, I was by myself. After 30 seconds of running I realized the PS pump was almost empty. I couldn't let off the break in RPM to fill it, had no one to help me, so I let the PS pump burn up :eek::banghead: It was about 1/3 full so at least the pump/pulley never locked up :woot:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I feel your pain :(

When I broke in the new cam/engine in my tan Scrambler, I was by myself. After 30 seconds of running I realized the PS pump was almost empty. I couldn't let off the break in RPM to fill it, had no one to help me, so I let the PS pump burn up :eek::banghead: It was about 1/3 full so at least the pump/pulley never locked up :woot:
I won’t ever break one in solo. Never.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
I want to see oil at the cam gear through the dizzy hole. Vaseline just helps save me from extra priming.
The priming sticks only take a couple seconds to work when you run them with a drill. The only time I've done the vaseline job was when I just wanted to start the engine immediately.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
I won’t ever break one in solo. Never.
The first time I broke in my 401 was in the shop of the guy who built that engine. He was a speed-shop guy in Vermont. We shut the engine down twice during start-up for various reasons, and I questioned him for all of the aforementioned reasons. He said it's ok to shut down mid-break-in, so long as you don't wait too long before restarting, and again immediately get up to the 2000+ RPM range.