• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'Mater - '77 Cherokee S 4-door

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Laura already named it 'Mater :D

I was actually looking on Craigslist for a specific, different FSJ (that Honcho I posted about) when I came across this. Funny how things work. We've always hated that we had to get rid of the Grand Waggy.

Short summary:
154k miles, part time kit in tcase with Warn lockouts on front axle, tow bar setup, spare quadratrac tcase and a spare D20 (for some reason I don't quite understand), Aero tank aux gas tank, aftermarket trailer hitch, a couple boxes full of seals/gears/parts/bearings, a brand new uninstalled set of rear air shocks (he was going to try to help the sagging rear end but never got to them), and more that I'm forgetting.

The only really significant body rust is on the rear quarterpanels behind the rear tires. Through hole on the left, just getting going on the very lower edge of the right. Typical on these.

All of this is in last 20k miles with paperwork:
stock 4-barrel removed-but comes with Jeep, replaced with new Edelbrock that has a new tuning kit with it, new Edelbrock intake, new Mallory HEI not installed, new radiator, new water pump, new plug wires, tires with couple hundred miles max.,both axles gone through with bearings/seals, rebuilt tranny, rebuilt tcase, rebuilt 360 but it started having overheating and cam/dizzy gear munching issues that parked it-we turned it over with starter but didn't run it, all brakes redone

York compressor and underdash unit with working fan-but AC isn't complete/working, cruise control, stereo/speakers work, rear electric window works from key in gate and dash switch (needs cleaned/rehabbed badly though), someone had put offroad lights on the roof that are now removed and holes crudely plugged, someone had a towing side view mirror mounted to the drivers door, so there's three holes in it that need to be dealt with somehow.

Pictures
All these pictures suck because I didn't get there to look at it until after work and I was crawling in/under/around it and going through his folder of receipts/paperwork until it was nearly dark and realized I hadn't taken any pictures yet.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105492127871460849245/77CherokeeS4Door?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Seller's ad picture....you had me at "patina"
3n73Ga3m55G15E35H4ccf2aefe877087013aa-1.jpg

Brand new old tires (bought in '07, practically no miles, no cracking, still hold air) like everything on this Jeep, the patina on the center caps just made me smile.
IMG_1926JPG-1.jpg

Worst rust I could find on the frame and it's just surface rust.
IMG_1927JPG-1.jpg

That's his electric fence controller dealio zip tied to the grille. The tow hooks are for a tow bar setup. Might try that out to get it home if AAA won't get it done.
IMG_1930JPG-1.jpg

More patina. Not the kind of thing you see much in Michigan. Jeep lived the vast majority of it's live in Sacramento apparently, judging from receipts. Doors/windows seem to have stayed sealed well, very few to no signs of water in the cabin.
IMG_1934JPG-1.jpg

Oh YEAH!!! I've always thought this was the coolest factory-applied sticker setup ever.
IMG_1935JPG-1.jpg

The one oddity (but I think there's an interesting reason) the rust from gas out of the filler. Someone installed an Aero Tank auxiliary tank in the rear end. It's supposedly connected to the main tank but there's a switch on the dash for main/aux. The seller didn't drive long distance and just left it on main, so he's not sure on the details. I wonder if all that extra gas sloshing between the two tanks didn't often push gas out through the filler.
This is what's in the back end, 29 gallons!! http://www.aerotanks.com/inventory/1924.html
IMG_1938JPG-1.jpg

I freaking LOVE this!
IMG_1940JPG-1.jpg

For Michigan, this is SPECTACULAR underbody condition!!
IMG_1942JPG-1.jpg

Game on!

Plan

(Other than all the routine stuff for fluids, checking steering, ball joints, etc.)

Main thing is that this will be a solid good-weather runner, DD, occasional tow rig, not a restoration project or offroader. Tires won't be bigger or more aggressive than they are now (I'd love to be able to just run these for years.)

See what I can do with the stock paint with some elbow grease. I have high hopes after seeing some of the work folks have managed on here! Deal with holes in roof/drivers door.

I haven't completely decided, but I'm thinking just start over with a rebult 360 Toby has using the good bits off this motor. Not sure if I want to bother putting time into a questionable motor that might have had metal gear bits circulating for who knows how long. Seller changed them twice and I'm not certain I believe him when I asked if he changed oil after they went.

Pull the Aux tank or possibly use it as the main and pull the stock tank.

2" BJs lift springs or find used setup cheap.

Shocks

Can you put 3-point belts in the back of these?

Clean up/treat/paint rust.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Ugh. I've earned the merit badge on the distributer gear issue. Before you spend the time to swap the cam gear, pull the pan and check the rear main bearing. That will tell you what you need to know. If it's a factory timing cover, odds are good that the timing gears are aftermarket. If you have an aftermarket cover, toss it. If the rear main isn't too bad, check to see if the flashing on the timing gear oil slot was removed (assuming it's aftermarket). If it was, pull the intake and check the lifters. If everything still looks OK, slap it back together with new matched hardened dizzy/cam gears, break-in lube, and high-ZDDP oil, and see what happens!

I need to get a Grand Wag again one of these days.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Eric, that thing is awesome! I'm partial to the WT Cherokees but that is a very nice looking NT and I think they look the best with the OEM slot wheels! This is one that I was drooling over:

'79 Cherokee S Model NT Green 1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I was going to look for a sort of step-by-step plan of attack on the issue, so thanks for this. Engine internals is something I've not yet really gotten into and I've never really followed the 360 tech because the one I had in the Waggy ran great other than a nasty oil leak at the top of the timing cover that some black sealant took care of.

Ugh. I've earned the merit badge on the distributer gear issue. Before you spend the time to swap the cam gear, pull the pan and check the rear main bearing. That will tell you what you need to know. If it's a factory timing cover, odds are good that the timing gears are aftermarket. If you have an aftermarket cover, toss it. If the rear main isn't too bad, check to see if the flashing on the timing gear oil slot was removed (assuming it's aftermarket). If it was, pull the intake and check the lifters. If everything still looks OK, slap it back together with new matched hardened dizzy/cam gears, break-in lube, and high-ZDDP oil, and see what happens!

I need to get a Grand Wag again one of these days.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Very, very nice. Reminds me of my 78 WT 2dr Chief.

Post up lots of build pics so I can really miss my GW, OK? :thumbsup:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Very, very nice. Reminds me of my 78 WT 2dr Chief.

Post up lots of build pics so I can really miss my GW, OK? :thumbsup:

LOL. I was looking for 4-door NT Cherokee pictures to send to Kate to butter her up on this idea and it was REAL tough, seems like all of them were either 2 door NTs or Chiefs. Readers rides on ifsja is a perfect example, there's very few 4-doors.

This is going to be more a rehab/preserve deal than a "build". It's a "Patina Project" :D

Open to ALL advice and tips though.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Eric,

Here are few pics of sweet NT 4-Doors. Most of these are Waggys but they are pretty similar to the Cherokees.

'66 Super Wagoneer 1.jpg
'70 Waggy.jpg
'76 Jeep Wagoneer 1.jpg
'77 Waggy 401 1.jpg
'78 Wagoneer.jpg
'79 Wag.jpg
'84 Waggy.jpg
84_Cherokee_NV-HP_zpsbb78a151.jpg
IMG_0674-1.jpg
lift4.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Cool :bow:

Yeah, you can find Waggy's all day long, it's the proper 4-door Cherokees that get tough. Some real nice ones there though... :drool:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I installed a set of 3 point belts in an 82 Waggy a few years ago. There was a set of Capture nuts under the headliner. I went to the salvage yard and measured before cutting into the new headliner. Worked out well.:wave:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I have a '91 Waggy for parts that I can get the seat belts out of if you need them. They are the maroon color though.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The headliner in this has issues, don't think it will be any issue to put them in if I had them. Josh, you have a PM :D

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Narrow Track Chero

NT Chero's are THE Bomb.

IMO they NT is the best looking FSJ

Looks like got nice one with no added cross country shipping :)

I think a lot of Buffing' and polishing will make it look fantastic.

Congrats on the find.

Have U noticed the 4 door JK is about same size?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
NT Chero's are THE Bomb.

IMO they NT is the best looking FSJ

Looks like got nice one with no added cross country shipping :)

Thanks! I have always loved these. My ideal would have been the 2 door Chief but I am PSYCHED! I'm obviously not averse to cross-country vehicle retrieval, but it is nice to have it show up basically next door.

I think a lot of Buffing' and polishing will make it look fantastic.

Your example on the "really right" way to do that work is one of the first things that popped into my head when I saw it in person :D I don't think I have anything close to the patience you exhibited to do that kind of job on it, but I JUST CAN'T WAIT to at least try out a small area.

I had my grandfather's 75 Ranchero that had sat outside for decades at his radiator shop and before I deemed it too far gone to save, I worked on part of the hood and blew myself away with how nice I could get the paint after all those years. This thing looks JUST like that did (but with a ton less rot :eek:)

Congrats on the find.

Have U noticed the 4 door JK is about same size?

Thanks again and not yet, on the size comparison but it will be parked next to one so I can do direct measurements :cool:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
These are from the 77 dealer book, more info for you. Who is building us a time machine ?? :P

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356095077.849209.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356095101.588626.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356095126.437823.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356095154.854637.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356095325.978414.jpg

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Polish it and see what you get...

I never got a chance to make mine pretty but it served me well until priorities (Scrambler, Commando, Diesel Dodge) changed. :) I may still have some parts but they are all in a connex in Colorado. Here's a pic or two... Gotta love the "cloud-O-flage" :)

Attachments

• IMG_7235.JPG
    IMG_7235.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7264.JPG
    IMG_7264.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7272.JPG
    IMG_7272.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 3jeeps.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 161