• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Checked the date codes. 1 from 78 and 3 from 81.D77F721E-1410-4F96-849F-5A77D3BD696B.jpegC6F41C41-7D5F-4772-AD1F-38A49AABD5D6.jpegA19F1EED-613F-4C82-8AF2-E0DB1AADDE44.jpeg7846A3FA-905E-4954-960D-BF79D67AAA46.jpeg

Emile

City
Wilsonville
State
OR
I'm so happy you got those, I saw that post and was shocked, totally score.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm so happy you got those, I saw that post and was shocked, totally score.
Thank you! I didn’t think I had a chance- too late. But I guess I was the first to say “I’ll get them”!

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
So…suggestions. The garnet seats are normally on a deeper red metallic paint than the Oriental red. My wife, the consummate color coordinator feels the “burgundy” tone of garnet will clash with the true red of the Oriental red. So I’m probably looking at custom upholstery, or maybe even a different seat although I have gone through a lot of trouble to get factory seats which fit me so well. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good red to match Oriental red? My mind has been made up to do the red/red/white. The running joke around here is that mid-life crisis guys buy classic ‘Vettes, but I’m building my Scrambler ‘Vette. So a ‘Vette inspired color scheme is perfect!
I personally suggest the red with nutmeg! I'm oriental red also; and a friend gave me an CJ5 nutmeg bimini about 5 years ago; and I love the contrast of the 2. I've been leaning that my next set of seats need to be nutmeg.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I personally suggest the red with nutmeg! I'm oriental red also; and a friend gave me an CJ5 nutmeg bimini about 5 years ago; and I love the contrast of the 2. I've been leaning that my next set of seats need to be nutmeg.
Red and nutmeg are a great combo. I have my heart set on a white top with the white wheels. And I think keeping the interior red and black should be complimentary.

As many times as I’ve switched gears during this build, who knows.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Thanks to Emile, I got another white spoke wheel for my spare. And a 6th, 7th, and 8th. A local was selling a set of undrilled 78 date coded wheels for less than a single wheel online. 2 are great, one has a couple lip dings and one has a small dent in the lip. It’s odd though, they don’t have stripes and appear like they never did. I’ll end up drilling and powdercoating 2 just to have a spare and a backup. B558A9E6-55CD-4704-908D-028705EAC28F.jpegCC588D86-09CA-4868-ABC1-D3C96425CC80.jpegAlso, the brake line armor shield finally arrived, so I can get my brake lines done. I can’t believe how frustrating that was for something so simple01046C22-19FD-4A0B-B1C2-FE76E273FE01.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Well, I have always loved a mystery. I got all the tires dismounted and found something interesting. The 4 wheels off the Scrambler from WA look like standard white wagon wheels, complete with black pinstripe and drilled flanges. One of them is a 78 so the drilling is post-manufacture.
But- the 4 78 dated wheels I picked up yesterday have no black stripe, and never look like they had one. And- the inner flanges are fully painted too! Never seen a factory wheel that’s painted on the inside. All I’ve ever seen is primer and overspray. Anyone have any ideas? F760A4A0-D9F3-490B-8D70-665DAC0BAF2C.jpegAll 8 wheels. The 78 stamped wheels are in the front. 65C0BE09-86E5-4D1D-A153-E287DC400366.jpegHere’s a look at the unstriped 78 wheel set- painted so nicely on the inside. And it’s a creamy white, not a chalk white 95C5A87C-5E71-415B-9778-670A2D9C9350.jpegAnd here’s the 81 wheels- primer and overspray on the inside, just like all the others I’ve ever seen.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Those look like standard American Racing rims to me. I've had many sets over the years, great rims. Just like AMC rims but without the holes for the caps.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Those look like standard American Racing rims to me. I've had many sets over the years, great rims. Just like AMC rims but without the holes for the caps.
No, these have the full “made in Canada” date code stamp in the inner flange. Plus the cutouts are indented on the edges like stock Jeep wheels. Other than the newer D windows, the aftermarket didn’t indent the cutout edges. I had entertained that thought myself.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I dropped 5 of the wheel off at the powdercoater today. My regular guy is 2 months behind and wanted about $150 each. Ugh. Got the feeling he didn’t want to mess with old wheels. So I started searching.

NW Wheel and Tire in Bend offered to do them for $80 each and be done in one week. They are also going to make sure the lips are nice and smooth. Win-win! They had a cream color, and what they called “Wheel white”. Sounds good to me!

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
So are you don't wheel white or cream? Can they do the stripe too? That's going to look great, whichever white you choose.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I went with the “wheel white”. I didn’t ask about the stripe— I think I have a guy lined up for that. I also bought a cheap trailer hub and spindle- I’m going to make up a fixture and try to learn how to stripe them myself. Maybe.

I forgot to post up a pic of my setup to check if the wheels were straight. They were all within .020, 2 were within .015!0215C265-1149-4F3B-B7DA-86B78CDF9A58.jpeg

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That's fantastic, i love that. I'm all about creating special purpose tools.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
When I got my wheels done 2-3 years ago I looked around for someone to pin stripe mine, but had no real luck. Then I looked into how it is done. There is a company that has been around for some time that makes a paint pen to do it with. I chickened out doing it. Been thinking about it lately. There is also pin stripping brush. What is your plan ? Wondering how this would hold up over time. My original was black. image.jpeg

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Been looking into purchasing a striper tool. Marshalltown 1/4 single line, with one shot black enamel. My set up will not be as elaborate as yours....there is also tape that seems pretty easy to do.