• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My Newest Project - Me !?!?

Pretty good news, have you seen “the game changers,” on Netflix?
 
My Oncologist consulted with a Hematologist (liver specialist) at Tulane after my last visit. And of course, the liver doctor wanted to see me.

So today, I went back to Tulane for a "fibro scan" and consultation with a hematologist. A "fibro scan" is basically an ultrasound (that pulses) of your liver.

Good news, pretty confident I do NOT have any type of liver cancer. No cirrhosis or hardening or fibrosis of my liver either. Glad to hear all my "youthful misadventures" did not permanently damage my liver LOL.

Bad news, and it is not terrible, I do have "nonalcoholic fatty liver disease". Sounds worse then it really is, in my case anyway. Basically, for some unknown reason, my body is no longer metabolizing fat/sugar like it should/used to. I do not have diabetes or cholesterol problems to cause this. They are doing more blood work to rule out any type of hepatitis or other viral infection. I have not got a phone call, so clear there.

So, this is most probably a self inflicted problem. I am 5'-11", 210 pounds. So, on a BMI scale, I am well into the overweight category. The hematologist tends to believe that if I lose 15-20 pounds, start eating less crap food, I can make this problem go away.

I have been wanting to drop about 20 pounds anyway. Don't really want to eat healthier, but going to have to start. So, unlike the cancer, this is something I can actually prevent/cure without medication/procedures/doctor visits. And I am sick of doctors/hospitals. So, I will use this as a wake up call.

I have to go back to Tulane for an Oncology visit in February for CT/blood work. I have to go back again in May for the same, plus the Hematologist wants to see me then for follow up. So, I start eating healthy/drop some weight between now and February/May, should see improvements in the scans/blood work. And hopefully can be done with the liver doctor.

So, easy enough. Better diet, drop some pounds, improve my health and be done with some doctor visits. All the motivation I need.

The hematologist was a little curious why my first CT scan/radiologist report from the hospital at home mentioned a possible cyst and another unidentifiable something in my liver that none of the Tulane scans ever reported. The fibro scan did not reveal these structures, either. He is going to look into that some more, but not overly concerned. If the next scans/his reviews cause any concern, then I might have to get an MRI of my liver. He is pretty confident I am fine, though. Even though the oncologist was concerned about the elevated AFP, it is stil well within the normal range, and way below any level that he would be concerned about. But, it has been trending upward since 2016. I have also gained 15 pounds since 2016.

Anyway, eat better, lose some weight, hopefully won't have to see the Hematologist anymore. The only reason this "fatty liver disease" issue was discovered was all the CT scans. I have no symptoms of any kind. So, don't go to the doctor, don't get full CT scans/blood work, live forever!!

Realistically, I am lucky this was found out now. I am 44, and healthy in every other way right now. I nip this in the bud now, will prevent a bunch of future health issues.

That's the plan anyway!!
 
Last edited:
Just jog to the store to pick up beer instead of driving your hotrod Scrambler. But in reality that's pretty good news if such a thing. Plus losing weight will increase your love life which will in turn help keep the weight off. So keep it up and keep it up then keep on Jeepin' :cheers:
 
I hated loosing weight....but probably the best decision of my life. You can easy loose 15-20lbs if you want, I know you can! You got this!
 
I am 5'-11", 210 pounds. So, on a BMI scale, I am well into the overweight category.

WHAT!! I’m only 6 ft and 250 when did that become well into the overweight bracket? I’m just going to have to use a different scale for the BMI. But I’m sure you can do it ?
 
WHAT!! I’m only 6 ft and 250 when did that become well into the overweight bracket? I’m just going to have to use a different scale for the BMI. But I’m sure you can do it ?
It's worse than that. 6' / 250 myself, been floating between 235 & 250 for years. Anything over 222 is now considered obese. I almost look skinny at 220, I was 215 in college, would like to get back to 225. Got the same fatty liver diagnosis last month, so the weight needs to come off.
 
So what test are they doing on you to figure out your liver is a fatty one ?

Blood work will show elevated ATP and something else that is a clue. The fibroscan helps the diagnosis, too. The CT scan also will show it.

Basically, if you are carrying around too much weight in the middle, aka your tummy, probably have a fatty liver. Usually caused by diet and/or drinking too much alcohol.

I hardly ever drink anything at all anymore. Last time I had a few beers was in Michigan. Probably less then 24 beers a year for the last 5-6 years. I mainly cut out beer to keep weight off.

Too much junk food, sugar, red meat, processed food, and simply eating too much is my problem.

Good thing, my liver is soft with no cirrhosis. Eating healthier and dropping 15-20 pounds should fix me up. Besides the liver, losing a bit of weight will help prevent a whole host of other potential problems.
 
Back
Top