Official CJ-8.com Forum Lurker Intro Thread!

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Hello all! I'm a newbie here, and a newbie CJ owner. I've always had a soft spot for Scramblers even since I was a kid, and finally one managed to follow me home!

Best I can tell, it's a 1982 CJ-8 that was factory equipped with I-4 and 4-speed manual. It has the T-176 4-speed that was mated to an Iron Duke 151ci I-4, but the motor is MIA. The passenger fender is also missing, as well as the radiator. It has soft doors and a full soft top, but they are dry-rotted beyond use. The tub is fairly solid, with minimal damage and minor rust. The frame looks pretty solid, and it has 4.10 gears. I was hoping to do a full restore on it, but as I've been digging into it, I'm starting to have doubts. The tank was caked with thick varnish on the bottom from VERY old gasoline, the right rear corner is mangled from what looks like tire carrier being hit or over-swung (sadly no tire carrier included), the tailgate is not embossed with "Jeep" which makes me think it's a reproduction replacement(?), and the windshield frame is toast...

Whatever it may be, it's mine now. It looks like this site has a great deal of information that can help me get this girl shined up and on the road again. I look forward to the adventure!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
WELCOME!

It does appear to be The T=176 trans, but I've never seen one behind an Iron Duke. Someone may have had a 258 or 4.0 already transplanted. Nice find. :thumbsup:

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
WELCOME!

It does appear to be The T=176 trans, but I've never seen one behind an Iron Duke. Someone may have had a 258 or 4.0 already transplanted. Nice find. :thumbsup:
Thanks! The T-176 does have the GM Small Block bell, indicative that it was in fact Iron Duke equipped (or at least the trans was originally mated to the Duke, wherever it may have come from)...which kind of scrambles my original idea of bolting in the 258 from my YJ. I found a 4.3 TBI V6 local that I'm contemplating throwing in for cheap to get it going, but I'd really like decent power and an OD gearbox for road manners. I've contemplated 4.0/AX15 or LS/NV4500 or 351/ZF5...CJ's are just such universal recipients that sometimes it's hard to figure out the first step. I'm not exactly a purest, and historically a blue oval guy, so this build could go anywhere...but I do know that I want it to be nice, reliable and capable because I'm definitely a CJ-8 fan and plan on hanging on to this one for a while and making some memories.

Off to do some more research!

cj8py

Basic User
City
Ciudad del Este
State
AP
Mine was almost like yours, took me 15 years and big buck to have it in one piece, many shops, many pieces stolen....

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Don't leave out a nice little Hemi in your search. Mega torque and horse power. :shrug: :wave:

Thanks! The T-176 does have the GM Small Block bell, indicative that it was in fact Iron Duke equipped (or at least the trans was originally mated to the Duke, wherever it may have come from)...which kind of scrambles my original idea of bolting in the 258 from my YJ. I found a 4.3 TBI V6 local that I'm contemplating throwing in for cheap to get it going, but I'd really like decent power and an OD gearbox for road manners. I've contemplated 4.0/AX15 or LS/NV4500 or 351/ZF5...CJ's are just such universal recipients that sometimes it's hard to figure out the first step. I'm not exactly a purest, and historically a blue oval guy, so this build could go anywhere...but I do know that I want it to be nice, reliable and capable because I'm definitely a CJ-8 fan and plan on hanging on to this one for a while and making some memories.

Off to do some more research!

inverse121

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dutchess County
State
NY
In the Hudson Valley

The mods just set me up. I've been lurking for a couple weeks
I just purchased my first Scrambler, but I've owned a Jeep in one form or another my entire life.
I ran across this 1984 258 with a T176 and picked up this one up for making some family memories.
I told the kids that this was my dream "car" in high school.

Supposedly redone a couple of years ago, it was brought up here from SC, but there are some FL indications I found in it.
Its got a little body rust, but no cancer and the frame is good.
Someone spent some money on it, but I am sure I will spend more.
It has a lot of stainless and someone shot bedliner in it.
It has a painless wiring harness, but still has a few Gremlins.
It has a Bestop on it and I have to pick up the half hard top.
Bulkhead is in place.

I've had it a few days now and I've spent those chasing the small stuff for the NY Safety inspection.
I've got a reluctant front right turn signal and a bad backup light switch (and butt connector) to complete.
The battery is held in by a bungee cord as the edge or the tray is rusty.
I should have that all knocked out tomorrow when a few parts arrive.

It came to me with practically new 33x12.50s sticking way out past the flares and I swapped those for 33x10.50s that are about flush with the flares.

I need new gears, I am 99% sure it has 2.73s! If someone can recommend a place in the Hudson Valley OR Western CT to do the install, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's the way it came home.

Here it is after the tire swap. Sorry for the potato quality. I will get some more up soon.

Not sure I will warrant a "Complete Build" thread, but I have a handful of things I want to do to make it mine.

UPDATE:

Heres a topdown photo, it was nice out.

Last edited:

Drewc7888

Basic User
City
Edmond
State
Ok
Hey guys, I have been a jeep guy all my life, but a friend of mine turned me on to Scramblers a while back. So.....went and got one (1982). Just got the motor going last weekend and will soon be ready to hit the road. Anyone from OKC metro area that have meet ups?

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
The mods just set me up. I've been lurking for a couple weeks
I just purchased my first Scrambler, but I've owned a Jeep in one form or another my entire life.
I ran across this 1984 258 with a T176 and picked up this one up for making some family memories.
I told the kids that this was my dream "car" in high school.

Supposedly redone a couple of years ago, it was brought up here from SC, but there are some FL indications I found in it.
Its got a little body rust, but no cancer and the frame is good.
Someone spent some money on it, but I am sure I will spend more.
It has a lot of stainless and someone shot bedliner in it.
It has a painless wiring harness, but still has a few Gremlins.
It has a Bestop on it and I have to pick up the half hard top.
Bulkhead is in place.

I've had it a few days now and I've spent those chasing the small stuff for the NY Safety inspection.
I've got a reluctant front right turn signal and a bad backup light switch (and butt connector) to complete.
The battery is held in by a bungee cord as the edge or the tray is rusty.
I should have that all knocked out tomorrow when a few parts arrive.

It came to me with practically new 33x12.50s sticking way out past the flares and I swapped those for 33x10.50s that are about flush with the flares.

I need new gears, I am 99% sure it has 2.73s! If someone can recommend a place in the Hudson Valley OR Western CT to do the install, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's the way it came home.

Here it is after the tire swap. Sorry for the potato quality. I will get some more up soon.

Not sure I will warrant a "Complete Build" thread, but I have a handful of things I want to do to make it mine.

UPDATE:

Heres a topdown photo, it was nice out.

Welcome!! Very nice looking Scrambler. The wheel/tire swap has already improved the looks 100%

Hey guys, I have been a jeep guy all my life, but a friend of mine turned me on to Scramblers a while back. So.....went and got one (1982). Just got the motor going last weekend and will soon be ready to hit the road. Anyone from OKC metro area that have meet ups?
Welcome! Can't wait to see some pics!

Skidmark

Scrambler Rookie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Sanford
State
FL
I guess it's time to introduce myself. I've been LURKING around too long. My name is Mark and have a small company that builds chemical feed skids, that's where the Skidmark comes from. This is my first time posting to any forum so if I mess this up! I have visited many sites looking for info on Jeeps and Chevelles (the other obsession I have) and this site is the most helpful and everyone gets along. I don't need all the bickering that is on some of the other sites.

I bought my first basket case jeep, a CJ-7, 18 years ago. It was very rusty and had a rod knocking in the 258. Junkyard motor and it was ready for our hunting buggy. Ended up fixing the rust and doing a garage paint job. Put it on the street and enjoyed it for years. I always liked the Scramblers and found one on local CL a few years back. Again another basket case. I really don't know why I can't just buy something already put together and running but something in my DNA will not let me do that. LOL. History on this eight, it was used at the space center for security. It has patches all over it that are riveted on, I guess they had a sheet metal shop at the cape and they just covered the rust. I decided that it was too far gone to repair so I have all the parts and pieces still here at my shop. A few months ago I found a 81 Scrambler (blue jeep below) at a Jeep dealer up the road and traded my CJ-7 for it. The frame was rusted out but I new I had a frame from the cape Scrambler. And then a TDK frame came up on CL and of course I bought it. The 81 has a Chevy 350 and 700R4 tranny. I have been driving it some hoping the frame doesn't break in half. It's time to start the project.

20170422_145520.jpg 20170329_090834.jpg
Here is a picture of the shop with the 7 in the back that I traded for the 8.

Hope to start a build thread soon.

Big Walton. Thanks for you help this morning and I deserved that. LOL

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome! Glad to see you post up what you've got going on. The Scrambler looks great and those Chevelles look SWEET too!

xatu40

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
DeBary
State
FL
Welcome Mark,

Joined the forum myself awhile back(#390 - bottom of page 26). Good to see someone else local, I'm just across the river. I like your collection, now I can tell my wife to stop complaining about mine.

Alex

Skidmark

Scrambler Rookie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Sanford
State
FL
Thanks for all the welcomes. Alex, we are right over the river, 330 Hickman. Stop by some time. I also know a good paint shop in DeBary. He just did a friends Camaro and it looks great.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I guess it's time to introduce myself. I've been LURKING around too long. My name is Mark and have a small company that builds chemical feed skids, that's where the Skidmark comes from. This is my first time posting to any forum so if I mess this up! I have visited many sites looking for info on Jeeps and Chevelles (the other obsession I have) and this site is the most helpful and everyone gets along. I don't need all the bickering that is on some of the other sites.

I bought my first basket case jeep, a CJ-7, 18 years ago. It was very rusty and had a rod knocking in the 258. Junkyard motor and it was ready for our hunting buggy. Ended up fixing the rust and doing a garage paint job. Put it on the street and enjoyed it for years. I always liked the Scramblers and found one on local CL a few years back. Again another basket case. I really don't know why I can't just buy something already put together and running but something in my DNA will not let me do that. LOL. History on this eight, it was used at the space center for security. It has patches all over it that are riveted on, I guess they had a sheet metal shop at the cape and they just covered the rust. I decided that it was too far gone to repair so I have all the parts and pieces still here at my shop. A few months ago I found a 81 Scrambler (blue jeep below) at a Jeep dealer up the road and traded my CJ-7 for it. The frame was rusted out but I new I had a frame from the cape Scrambler. And then a TDK frame came up on CL and of course I bought it. The 81 has a Chevy 350 and 700R4 tranny. I have been driving it some hoping the frame doesn't break in half. It's time to start the project.

View attachment 59684 View attachment 59685
Here is a picture of the shop with the 7 in the back that I traded for the 8.

Hope to start a build thread soon.

Big Walton. Thanks for you help this morning and I deserved that. LOL
Welcome! Can't wait to see the Scrambler come together! Love the '68 and '70 Chevelles! I cruised many weekends in my buddy's '69 Malibu with 307 back in high school!

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
I've been a member here before so this will be my "Grand reintroduction" for lack of a better term. I finally did it, I finally found another Scrambler that was calling my name. I was cruising Craigslist looking for a CJ3a and came across this Scrambler. Thinking it had to be fate I pounced on it this morning. It's pretty rough body wise, and it doesn't have a title, but for the price I'll roll the dice.

Anyway my name is Bill and I'm looking forward to reconnecting with some of you old timers as well as making new friends. 00B0B_fqHQUJKldUt_50x50c.jpg