• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Official CJ-8.com Forum Lurker Intro Thread!

akajeepjim

Basic User
Ouch. How rusty is this poor 8 being from Wisconsin? Is it salvageable?
Salvageable? My idea of that means that it has a VIN plate, and maybe a title, or at the very least a legit bill of sale. Beyond that I think almost everything else can be redone if the budget matches the expectations! This one might not win any awards or command a big price on ebay, but its got a good story and a hopeful owner. I think I can get it at least roadworthy. That does mean something completely different to someone used to seeing rusty Wisconsin junk vs. someone in Texas or Arizona!

capnmark4

Basic User
City
WESTLAKE
State
TX
So in 2004, with some extra money to burn, I decided I wanted a convertible. A Commander or a Scrambler had been a desire for a long time. Then one day, I saw a Scrambler for sale...right color - Metallic Garnet, right trim - Laredo with side rails...Sold!!!

It came with hard half top, soft half top, soft full top, soft doors, and a bikini. I later bought a full hard top and hard doors. The idea being the Scrambler would be useable year round. I then did MC2100 and HEI upgrades to make it more reliable. Shortly afterward, she started having electrical issues...battery was only good for about 24 hours, anything longer and I had to jump it. I also wound up having to buy a new battery every year or so.

Well life got in the way (working on airplanes, new volunteer job, travel, you know...life). A couple of years ago, I decided to a) get it running again and b) figure out the electrical problem. After a couple of false starts, COVID, and some personal issues, I decided 2021 was the year! It took rebuilding the carb, replacing the ignition key, headlight switch, and turn signal switch but I got her running again, inspected, and registered.

IMG_1146.jpg
Here she is with 33" tires and the wheels cleaned up along with the safari doors (sorry for the finger in the pic). Not bad for being 37 years old ((1984)!

Next, get the LED headlights and front parking lights working (rears are already good) then play around with a third brake light.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
What a great looking rig.

For the electrical, my Painless harness solved every issue i had, including a battery issue like yours.

For the third brake light, here is my stab at it from an '07 TJ.

Attachments

• 20210719_215141.jpg
    20210719_215141.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210711_081741.jpg
    20210711_081741.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 17

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Today I purchased a 1981 CJ 8. Seems all original except for the rust. I was expecting it to be a rust bucket when I went to car lot to take a look. Paper work finalized tomorrow, delivered soon after.

I had already made up my mind not to buy even before stepping on the car lot. Bad color, 4 cylinder, gonna be rusted up, motor will be junk, too much money etc...

For some reason me and that old Jeep connected right there, and when the little 4 cylinder ran like a sewing machine I was done. Its still an ugly color (to me), but rust is acceptable and can be repaired by me. Jeep is solid and straight. I wanted something I could tinker with in my retirement, this is perfect. Shows a little over 80k miles, but who knows.
Suggestions on a Jeep bible or shop manual since all work will be done by me?

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Good resources here. I also every now and then find some good stuff from Moses Ludel. Typically on line info when I am searching the vastness of the internet.

capnmark4

Basic User
City
WESTLAKE
State
TX
What a great looking rig.

For the electrical, my Painless harness solved every issue i had, including a battery issue like yours.

For the third brake light, here is my stab at it from an '07 TJ.
Thanks! How did you wire yours up? I found a circuit that seems to work (on the bench anyway) and a "inside the wheel" light that looks pretty nice online. I'll post pick once I have it set up. Project for this weekend :D:woot:

FWIW, the front bumper was original (still have it) but bent. The rear had been replace with a 3-4" black tube which I hated. Found a set of custom bumper/tire carrier on eBay a few years ago (out of North Carolina). I'll post pics of those as well.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I ran a separate wire straight off the brake light activation switch on the pedal to avoid the indicators and then put an inline strobe relay to make the 3rd light flash

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Я сегодня сломал свой скремблер, можешь меня поздравить
I think maybe .01% of the people here can read this. Can you translate to English🤔

wolf40

City
Sterling
State
VA
I bought this Scambler in 1999. I performed a major body off restoration and finished in 2005. I wish there was this forum was available then. Recently after the weather took it toll, it was necessary to do its 2nd resto. After blowing third gear i found this website to explore my options. There is some very informative info here. I hope I can contribute from my experiances from a time when the scrambler wasn't so poular. I wish I had taken extensive photos, however my phone then didnt take photos..
I will see if I can convert prints and share. Cheers!

Attachments

• KIMG0048.JPG
    KIMG0048.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 28

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Perhaps you could explain for any among us that are undeniably not as much as PC shrewd what exactlly a 'prowler" is? I'd prefer not to awaken and thoroughly search in the mirrior and see I turned onto some marsh thing looking web beasty...! Awful enough seeing the genuine article!!
Do you mean where he says, poular? I think he means popular.

OzarkAl

City
Forsyth
State
Mo
Hello all, just found this forum looking for power steering info. I have owned an 82 for abt 10 years, still mostly stock. It's time for me to either work on it, steering issues, restore it or think about selling it. The last is really not an option.
I'm working on dropping the power stearing gear box at this time and will post some questions in a thread i found here soon.
The scrambler has been in my shop all summer, was too hot to start on rust repairs. Minor rusting in the usual places, i mig weld and can fabricate most for the restoration.
I will be posting here and will read more. So far what I have read is good information.

Regards Al

OCJeeper

City
Santa Ana
State
CA
Hi guys, I am is search of a CJ8 project to start with my daughter. I just sold a TJ I built from stock, It lasted us 12 years. Times have changed and it was time to say good bye. Im looking for something a bit more "Jeep" than the current machines that are being manicured these days. My daughter's legs will not stop growing and the TJ just doest work any longer. The 12 years gave me lots of understanding what it takes to build a dependable capable rig, and what I want out of a Jeep. The TJ always felt a bit short. The JK/JL 4drs are too heavy and large to be considered at this time, The CJ8 fell into a great midway and I am excited to start this project. If any of you know of a project with good bones or a built rig, I would be happy to come check it out. I'm in Southern California and If I can make it to you and back all in 4 days, let me know. not in a hurry but I do feel less than, without a Jeep rig.
Thanks.
-Cy

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Good luck with your search and plans. Are you thinking of having it as the stock half cab? The reason I ask is that with your daughter’s long legs, it may get cramped. I know I cannot stretch my legs out and wish I coupd put my seat back further. I am 6 foot and my seat is fine, but the back is against the glass and would like to lean it back more at times. But if I was taller, I would want the seat further back. A full top would allow that.

And where are you located? East and northeast Scramblers tend to be rusty. I got mine out of OH and had to replace the frame almost immediately. Hopefully you find an AZ or CA rust free project.

Hi guys, I am is search of a CJ8 project to start with my daughter. I just sold a TJ I built from stock, It lasted us 12 years. Times have changed and it was time to say good bye. Im looking for something a bit more "Jeep" than the current machines that are being manicured these days. My daughter's legs will not stop growing and the TJ just doest work any longer. The 12 years gave me lots of understanding what it takes to build a dependable capable rig, and what I want out of a Jeep. The TJ always felt a bit short. The JK/JL 4drs are too heavy and large to be considered at this time, The CJ8 fell into a great midway and I am excited to start this project. If any of you know of a project with good bones or a built rig, I would be happy to come check it out. I'm in Southern California and If I can make it to you and back all in 4 days, let me know. not in a hurry but I do feel less than, without a Jeep rig.
Thanks.
-Cy

OCJeeper

City
Santa Ana
State
CA
I'm looking for a project that if stock, I'll keep it stock, it's a built off road project I'll salvage what I can and repair/ replace till it works for us. I'm stuck with CA emissions testing so I would love to find a Cj8 that originally had a V8 engine. As for the rear seat. My plan was to move back the seat a few inches back? But hopefully in a few years my daughter will be driving me around.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I'm looking for a project that if stock, I'll keep it stock, it's a built off road project I'll salvage what I can and repair/ replace till it works for us. I'm stuck with CA emissions testing so I would love to find a Cj8 that originally had a V8 engine. As for the rear seat. My plan was to move back the seat a few inches back? But hopefully in a few years my daughter will be driving me around.
I don't think you'll find an original Scrambler that came with a V8. If there is such a beast it would have been special ordered in 81 when there were still some CJ7s with the V8. CA emissions are brutal.