• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Project JPSK8 - my last build??

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Beautiful job and great attention to detail. That Jeep is going to light up the Island when you get there.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Basic bodywork is done, should be in full primer with block sanding & final fitting this week. Have to be out of the house next weekend (will still have access to the outbuilding) and should be painting that week!!! Looks like I've got a temporary home for the CJ-7, just awaiting confirmation & checking with the body & paint guy to see if he can take the tub.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Been CRAZY busy, so I haven't kept the progress up to date, but the Scrambler is semi-assembled and on the ship on it's way down and we are getting settled into our new digs. Catch up pics are coming...

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Delivered safe & sound. I was a bit concerned because my Grand Cherokee was in the same container & arrived first with a bunch of scrapes & dents. Our episode airs tonight on HGTV at 9 eastern/ 8 central & apparently is already available On Demand.69634816_10217329575925534_5282753552958095360_n.jpg67871308_10217352102173208_2203498637244235776_n.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I had my wife set it to record yesterday. I went back and checked this thread, hoping you had not decided to move to the Bahamas. Glad when I saw it was St. Croix.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
X2 out of town for a couple of weeks. Left a note for the wife to do that and just sent a text reminder.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Just watched the episode. Nice choice. The bright blue Scrambler will fit right in down there. I hope you guys really enjoy living there. Good luck!

Are the homes down there constructed to be hurricane proof? After seeing all the destruction from hurricanes on TV I'd be worried about that.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I watched it this evening. Good job, got a couple of Jeep pics in there.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Sitting here watching you guys pick a house right now! This is awesome. This build thread has my vote for the most awesome! TV coverage... wow!??

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just watched the episode. Nice choice. The bright blue Scrambler will fit right in down there. I hope you guys really enjoy living there. Good luck!

Are the homes down there constructed to be hurricane proof? After seeing all the destruction from hurricanes on TV I'd be worried about that.
You can build a house to with stand a hurricane, but when a Cat 5 comes around very little is going to be left, especially when it sits on top of you for almost 2 days If and when one of those hits a large city it will be almost complete deviation

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Safety rant ---

I have been through several hurricanes/tropical storms. The amount of devastation that a storm can leash is simply unfathomable.

The three I distinctly remember were:

Hurricane Alicia
Tropical Storm Allison
Hurricane Harvey

Alicia was due to the extreme wind. Roof on our house was leaking during the storm and it blew down fences everywhere I could see. I was also a child, so it left a strong imprint on me.

Allison was just devastating flooding everywhere. I was luck to be in an area of North-West Houston where I did not personally experience any flooding, but the rain was relentless.

Harvey was by far the scariest. We had to evacuate, this was the first time I have ever had to evacuate during a storm. We were very lucky as our house did not flood, but the water got to within half an inch of going in the house. We were spared by just 1/2"! Several of our neighbors were not so lucky and had several feet of water in their houses. I had about 2' of water in my barn.

In the end, I don't wish for any storms, and the high winds are terrifying, but watching water rise at 1" per hour just scared the living you know what out of me. Especially scary watching the water level rise at the same rate as the rain fall (1" of rain equaled 1" rise in the yard for quite a while).

Anybody wishing to live in a tropical region must stay vigilant and have contingency plans for the worst. It is not a matter of if, but a matter when will the next storm hit.

Back on topic ---

What exactly do you get for almost $15,000 in yearly home owner fees? :huh::huh::huh:

You made the right choice (even though I am sure you already made that choice long before being shown the 2 throw-down choices). :D:D:D

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI

Thanks. Been down here two months as of this past weekend & still loving it. Really no such thing as hurricane proof. You can build them strong (most of the houses here are either concrete block or poured reinforced concrete...our house is built like a bunker), but all bets are off when a Cat 5 parks itself over you for 24+ hours. We did our actual house hunt (the show is basically a re-enactment of sorts) right after Maria came through (folks are STILL recovering from it...our property manager just got a new roof on her house a couple of months ago & is still not finished) to dispel any romantic notions of paradise...there was no power at most of the places we looked at & no power at our house for over 100 days...the mice & insects took over. My property inspector told me that when she opened one of the kitchen cabinets, a mouse looked at her like "May I help you?"

Dorian became a Cat 1 just as it changed course & brushed past here. I was actually back in OH tending to my CJ-7 & clearing out the outbuilding & my wife was here. I prepped before I left just in case (it was projected to pass south of us, then turn north). We have a fully stocked hurricane kit & before I left I closed up the lower level including the hurricane shutters, hooked the generator up to the house LP & showed her how to run it, & pulled the bypass caps on the downspouts (very little fresh water via wells here, we use rainwater captured in cisterns...a good chunk of the lower level of our house is a cistern...get a bunch of saltwater in there from a storm, and your water supply is ruined). We're going solar by year's end which will eliminate a few potential issues & the ridiculous electric rates here...most expensive in the US. We also removed the rollup screens & had Dade County hurricane rated windows installed plus shutters on the doors (it had galvanized panels that you had to batten in place). At the end of the day, it's a calculated risk that you assume that lasts for about 4 months out of the year vs. a guarantee of cold & snow & possibility of tornadoes in OH.