ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I just assumed it was for a shorter stroke 3.268 vs 3.622?

Makes for a quicker revving engine that is more suited for high rpm high hp in lieu of low rpm high tq.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Did you go 4.8 because it’ll wrap higher? Or because once you turbo it; it’s so crazy powerful it doesn’t matter?
We run wieght to cubic inch with power adder points to determin classes. Ive beena rules man for the East Coast 4 Wheel Drive Association for decades. I get to see what really works or jus works. We should run the flat drags, 300 feet, 100 yards, in mid 3 second range at 105mph. the fun part is it's on sand or pea gravel. Done the NHRA thing, love the sand. Sory for the hi-jack.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Figured I would revive this thread for a couple quick questions on the Speedhut gauge installation instructions.

-For Water Temp I have two sensors currently installed:
1) Is the OEM single post/wire sensor on the back of the cylinder head Drivers side. This has one purple wire for water temp signal that went to the OEM water temp gauge.
2) Is a modern weather-pack two wire sensor in the manifold that is an exact match to the SpeedHut sensor and wires. This is currently used for the Howell TBI computer.
-I believe my best solution would be to use the SpeedHut 2-wire harness and just tap the existing two wires coming from the weatherpack sensor already in the manifold
-How did you all use/install the speedhut sensor if anyone went this route?

-For Fuel Level, my Painless harness already has a signal wire from the sender to the gauge and a ground from the sender to the chassis. Is it possible to use the signal wire from the Painless Harness and just run the gauge to a ground near the dash? Or should it be grounded to the sender? Trying to avoid lowering the tank and running additional wires all the way back.

Thanks

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Coolant temp sensor: Do you mean that the range for the Howell and Speedhut senders are identical (not just the plug/shape/threads)? My only worry when you start splicing into these kinds of wires is that fractions of an ohm can mean a different reading.

Somewhat similar on the fuel sender: they always seem temperamental, especially related to grounds. From what you're saying, can't you just use the Painless sender wire and at least pick up the ground where the Painless sender ground hits the chassis? Do you have to drop the tank to get to the Painless sender ground? I don't see any problem reusing the signal wire. You can certainly try to just ground the fuel guage somewhere near the dash and see if it works though :shrug: Worst case, you run back to the Painless ground, right?

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Coolant temp sensor: Do you mean that the range for the Howell and Speedhut senders are identical (not just the plug/shape/threads)? My only worry when you start splicing into these kinds of wires is that fractions of an ohm can mean a different reading.

Somewhat similar on the fuel sender: they always seem temperamental, especially related to grounds. From what you're saying, can't you just use the Painless sender wire and at least pick up the ground where the Painless sender ground hits the chassis? Do you have to drop the tank to get to the Painless sender ground? I don't see any problem reusing the signal wire. You can certainly try to just ground the fuel guage somewhere near the dash and see if it works though :shrug: Worst case, you run back to the Painless ground, right?
BW: Correct on the fuel wiring. I will likely use the sender signal wire and try to pick up the ground at the sender ground. I can do that without dropping the tank. Of course, my Crown/Omix sender float is probably filled with fuel and not providing accurate indication so dropping the tank may be called for.

The coolant sensor is another issue. I hear what your saying about splicing the wires. It just doesn't look like I can remove the stock Coolant Temp sensor and install the Speedhut one in its place, the speedhut sensor is physically larger and might be too large. Where did you install your new coolant temp sensor if you don't mind me asking?

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Where did you install your new coolant temp sensor if you don't mind me asking?
Remember, I have a 4.0L. I debated either doing the Hesco replacement thermostat housing with the extra port or drilling/tapping mine and ended up doing an in-line temp sender port in the output hose to the heater core instead. I found the inline fitting somewhere online and spliced it in. Just a simple brass unit.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have the Hesco t-stat housing on my red Scrambler.

IIRC, it is only drilled/tapped for 1/8 NPT, so if the sending unit is larger then that, no bueno :shrug:

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Thanks. Turns out I was able to replace the stock temp sensor with the one speed hut provided and it appears to work.

Last questions for those that have done this: What have you used to "cap-off" the speedo-gear housing on the transfer case? I have the stock Dana 300

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Last questions for those that have done this: What have you used to "cap-off" the speedo-gear housing on the transfer case? I have the stock Dana 300
I have collected rubber/plastic caps for years and I found one that fit tightly on the inner nubbin where the speedo cable goes in and then a second one that fit the outer threads where the "nut" screws down.

City
Saint Francisville
State
LA
I have them in my 8 and I like them they work reliably and look good I was going to put them in my 7 but I sold it.