• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Things didn't go as planned today ... Need roadside help

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I would head your way if I could help, but I have no access to a 5th wheel truck. We have an old '96 Chevy one ton diesel at work, but it has a steel dump bed on the back :banghead:

Sorry I can't be of more help, but let me know if there is something I can do for y'all :fingerscrossed:

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
This is an incredible bunch of folks on here. Ed Anderson here in Ohio has volunteered to come get us and take us out to CO. He is on his way and hopefully after some business here with towing company we can be back on road today. Anybody heading up for nationals wants to stop at our place in Westcliffe to help unload, spend the night, drinks some beers etc is welcome. PM me for phone number if you need it.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Damn Truck! I’m glad y’all are okay. I don’t think there’s anything that I can do to help, but it sounds like you’re on your way to a solution.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I should have thought of Ed! I always think of him at his rock in CO and not at home in OH.

That’s awesome!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
So great of Ed. What is his screen name in the forum. Gotta be the best forum with the best people bar none!

tom keyes

1981 CJ-8
City
Louisville
State
co
You can pick up a new ignition key for your steering column for very cheap. They can be swapped out in a few minutes in most cases. It just means your door locks wont match the ignition anymore.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Whoa, glad to hear y'all are OK! Definitely not cool, but trucks and thing are replaceable. Sounds like y'all are or will be on your way, that's outstanding

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
Thoughts with you Truck- sorry this occurred.

Challenger

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
Truck, sorry to hear about your scare. Glad everyone is ok. I have a spare ignition lock cylinder with two keys. i know there is two different types of cylinders. If this works in your column, you can have it, I’ll bring the tools to swap it out. We’ll be there on Friday, for the National And Colorado events.

Attachments

• 8461AF15-DED7-4F19-8F8F-4BF7385E0479.jpeg
    8461AF15-DED7-4F19-8F8F-4BF7385E0479.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 6

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Hi all. Ed was awesome and got us to CO. After multiple trailer tire issues we got there on Friday afternoon. We got the trailer unloaded by Saturday and drove on up to Buena Vista. Rode with folks Sun and Mon. Didn't have time to button up last issue with my Scrambler so it only made it off the trailer and into my garage in CO. We were supposed to head up to Breckenridge to the CO Scramble but we need to take car of business with the truck and find a way home. Jake White and family decided to stay a few days at the house and tool around our part of CO. We were finally able to get a rental car and drive home to VA this weekend uneventfully.

Can not thank Ed Anderson enough going above and beyond getting us the trailer to Westcliffe. Thanks to Dylan, Dustin, Jason, Mike, George and others who allowed us to jump in and ride for a couple of days.

Now to deal with insurance and find another truck for what they give me.... a lot of great ideas passed to me. We will have to see what $$ we settle with. Would love another 06/07 Chevy/GMC LBZ CC LB DRW 4x4, but they are almost as allusive as and 86 Scrambler 😞

Wish the Cyber Semi was out and I would consider the big $$ for that 🤪

Attached are some pix of truck in the yard the next day as I signed it over to insurance...nothing really salvageable...

Attachments

• 20220719_151414.jpg
    20220719_151414.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220719_151508.jpg
    20220719_151508.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220719_151530.jpg
    20220719_151530.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220719_151534.jpg
    20220719_151534.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220719_151545.jpg
    20220719_151545.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 32

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Truck, sorry to hear about your scare. Glad everyone is ok. I have a spare ignition lock cylinder with two keys. i know there is two different types of cylinders. If this works in your column, you can have it, I’ll bring the tools to swap it out. We’ll be there on Friday, for the National And Colorado events.
I totally missed this. Appreciate the offer.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hi all. Ed was awesome and got us to CO. After multiple trailer tire issues we got there on Friday afternoon. We got the trailer unloaded by Saturday and drove on up to Buena Vista. Rode with folks Sun and Mon. Didn't have time to button up last issue with my Scrambler so it only made it off the trailer and into my garage in CO. We were supposed to head up to Breckenridge to the CO Scramble but we need to take car of business with the truck and find a way home. Jake White and family decided to stay a few days at the house and tool around our part of CO. We were finally able to get a rental car and drive home to VA this weekend uneventfully.

Can not thank Ed Anderson enough going above and beyond getting us the trailer to Westcliffe. Thanks to Dylan, Dustin, Jason, Mike, George and others who allowed us to jump in and ride for a couple of days.

Now to deal with insurance and find another truck for what they give me.... a lot of great ideas passed to me. We will have to see what $$ we settle with. Would love another 06/07 Chevy/GMC LBZ CC LB DRW 4x4, but they are almost as allusive as and 86 Scrambler 😞

Wish the Cyber Semi was out and I would consider the big $$ for that 🤪

Attached are some pix of truck in the yard the next day as I signed it over to insurance...nothing really salvageable...
Wow. You are so blessed that no one was hurt, and that the Scrambler didn’t go crispy critter too. Hopefully the insurance company is fair with you- seems trucks are all overpriced currently. So many of the local lots are empty here- can’t get new ones, so the price of the used ones goes through the roof. I bought my 2011 2500HD 6.0 Silverado a year or so ago, and I could sell it today and make real good money. So- good luck in your search!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Don't accept the insurance companies first offer. My wife's car was totalled 1 year and 2 days ago. They offered $5,000. Settled for over $8,000. Price really jumped when I told them I had every maintenance record from the last 11 years(down to brand of oil and filter). They appraisal missed things that should have been seen to raise value(no blue tooth, navigation, tires were called OK, they had 300 miles on them. That's gonna be tough in your case though. Every option it had, make sure they know. Blue Book/NADA values are so off right now. Start looking for comparable trucks in your area now for sale to use for value comparison.

Good luck with your search. What was the burnt carcass before the fire?

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Sorry about your LBZ and other trip troubles. If you have any receipts for recent work or parts an insurance company will generally add it to the settlement. Had a friend down here get his house and both vehicles totaled in the May 20th tornado. Insurance company added the full value for tires and such he had recently added.

That said with your move you could consider using an actual semi. Few more hurdles to own/operate but doable. The newer 3/4-1 ton diesel trucks are pretty darn impressive to, as are their price tags.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
That said with your move you could consider using an actual semi. Few more hurdles to own/operate but doable. The newer 3/4-1 ton diesel trucks are pretty darn impressive to, as are their price tags.
Thank you and yes we have considered Semi tractor. Talked to several folks about it at Nationals. Only issue is I need 4wd for some of the places I go.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Thank you and yes we have considered Semi tractor. Talked to several folks about it at Nationals. Only issue is I need 4wd for some of the places I go.
Single rear axle crew cab International 4x4? Former power company truck, lose the rear body, and a hitch?

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
As I look at Medium duty trucks I'm kinda digging the Freightliner M2 with Cummins and Allison combo. 4x4s are hard to come by also not sure if could afford one if we did...still contemplating as continue to work with insurance company.

Truck