• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Need advice on which Jeep to keep...

Which Jeep to Keep?

• 1999 Grand Cherokee

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 2001 Cherokee Sport

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
After purchasing the 2500 Silverado for a tow vehicle/driver this weekend, Carol and I have been discussing thinning the herd a bit. We are going to sell the 1996 1500 Silverado, and either the 2001 Cherokee sport that I think most of you are familiar with, or our 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited.
The 2001 Cherokee has 118k miles, runs great, looks great, and is fun to drive. Gas mileage isn’t great, but with 31’s I can’t complain. It was built in the last month of production, is Solar Yellow, and I’m estimating I can get between 8-10k if I sell.
The 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited was my Mom’s. It has 90k easy mikes on it, a 4.7 V8, is white with a tan leather interior, and looks very much like an older person’s vehicle. Has good power and tows well but it isn’t a “fun” vehicle. It has the full-time 4WD. It does get decent gas mileage (18 Hwy) and is somewhat more comfortable than the Cherokee. But if I were to keep it, it would have to get a small lift, wheels, tires, a better stereo, -anything to make it look more “me”. If I were to get rid of it, my daughter wants it and would buy some nice wheels and tires for the new Silverado as a trade.
Logic would seem to favor the 1999 Grand, but after a lift and tires it would probably not maintain the good mileage or towing ability. My heart leans to the 2001 Cherokee, because it’s bad-a$$. So... let me know- opinions?

Last edited:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
If I were to get rid of it, my daughter wants it and would buy some nice wheels and tires for the new Silverado as a trade
I think you answered your own question...
Win for your daughter, win for you, and...
win by keeping it in the family for the trifecta.

Doesn't sound like you NEED it over the Cherokee, and you NEED to get back to your Scrambler. :thumbsup:

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
I would vote to send the 4.7L down the road, but I wouldn't send it to my daughter. You may want to look into the rocker arm issue that these motors have. I have 01 that I do enjoy but seems to sit more than I drive because of it. You probably have awhile, I'm in the 180k's.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
A big negative on the GC is repairing the HVAC system when the blend door breaks at it’s hinge...it’s not an if, just when.

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
Keep the Cherokee. I remember when you got it and made the modifications to it. I liked what you did to it so I bought my son one for his first vehicle and did the same modification. He still has it and he loves it. They are fun to drive.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I vote for keeping the Cherokee, and passing the GC on to your daughter.

I miss my XJ... but I don't miss folding myself in half to fit through those tiny doors! 8-)

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
+1 for the Cherokee. I miss the one I had a while back. XJs in good shape are only going up in value. A couple of things to keep an eye out for though...the heads on the 2000/2001s had a tendency to crack between the #3 and 4 injectors, and if the heater core goes out you're looking at a couple dozen hours of work. The running joke is that Jeep suspended the heater core in mid-air and built the XJ around it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Sell the XJ, because I told you a long time ago I want first right of refusal on it! :headbang:

You can’t sell that thing and keep the Grand. You just can’t.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I vote for keeping the XJ. I've owned both and the Grand absolutely WILL have electrical issues along with a shorter life on the 8 cyl. engine. My boys are building my old XJ right now and we're having a thrill. I'm with BW. If you do sell the XJ I want second rights of refusal!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I vote for keeping the XJ. I've owned both and the Grand absolutely WILL have electrical issues along with a shorter life on the 8 cyl. engine.

Yeah, Randy, I think you need to talk to @CJ8LVR about the Grand long-term before considering your daughter having it. I think I'm remembering the year correctly and he fought through all kinds of mess and talked me out of considering one for Laura.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
My 2 cents is they're both nice vehicles and probably can't go wrong with either. I had a 2000 WJ 4.7 QTII Limited for 11 years and sold it with 133k miles. The only problem I had with it was power door glass motors. I think I replaced 3. No problem with blend doors or engine issues. I liked that 4.7 WAY more than the 5.7 Hemi in my current 07' Limited.

I'm actually looking to replace my 07' within the next year with a WJ 4.0 or XJ or maybe a 5.3 Chevy truck. Good luck!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If your daughter needs a vehicle, one with a known history is much safer risk than an unknown used vehicle.

Picking which she gets and which you keep is a personal decision only you can make.

There have been many great pieces of advice given above.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
My 2 cents is they're both nice vehicles and probably can't go wrong with either. I had a 2000 WJ 4.7 QTII Limited for 11 years and sold it with 133k miles. The only problem I had with it was power door glass motors. I think I replaced 3. No problem with blend doors or engine issues. I liked that 4.7 WAY more than the 5.7 Hemi in my current 07' Limited.

I'm actually looking to replace my 07' within the next year with a WJ 4.0 or XJ or maybe a 5.3 Chevy truck. Good luck!
One of my sons has my old 2002 WJ, he’s replaced at least 5 door glass regulators over the years. He can do them in about 20 minutes now, I think. The blend door repair was the worst.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
+1 for the Cherokee. I miss the one I had a while back. XJs in good shape are only going up in value. A couple of things to keep an eye out for though...the heads on the 2000/2001s had a tendency to crack between the #3 and 4 injectors, and if the heater core goes out you're looking at a couple dozen hours of work. The running joke is that Jeep suspended the heater core in mid-air and built the XJ around it.
I ran a Carfax on the Cherokee and was amazed to find out that it started life as a leased vehicle, and every single maintenance was recorded and performed on time. The person who leased it then bought out the lease, and ended up replacing the head at 88k. Never seen anything so well maintained.
The WJ has been a great vehicle for my parents, equally as well maintained. I know the WJ’s can have issues, but this one is a cream puff and the price is right, and my daughter wants it. And if it needs repairs in the future we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
So- it looks like a decision has been made. Keeping the XJ!

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Keep the XJ and sell the WJ. Aside from the blend-door issue, the 4.7L is going to have top-end issues that will require a tear-down soon.