• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Someone called it a TJ 6

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
No white letters available on the 33" KM3's I bought awhile back either :-(

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Finished mounting the tires, took them down and had them balanced came home and put them on the Jeep and back on the ground. Now I am done with tires I installed the front fender flares.

20210204_150219.jpgresized.jpg20210204_150229.jpgresized.jpg

When I was working on things I didn't pay close attention where I had the glass for the top sitting and did a bunch of grinding/cutting and spatter the debris all over the glass. So yesterday I took all the glass down to the glass shop to get new windows made and tinted. They will call me when ready and will take the Jeep to get them installed.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Thanks I am getting excited, still some details to work out but, other than glass all the parts are on.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I have no idea what are your plans for it, off roading, overlanding, but if you need to carry more gear, I think a rack on top would really look good. Some vehicles don't look good.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Such an awesome build. I really love that color in it!

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Been trying to work out some bugs. Driving it back from the glass shop it was showing that it was getting hot. Got home let it cool and started checking things out. Found out what ever wire I had chose to provide power to the fan relay was not doing the job. It was an unused wire in the Painless harness that I thought would work but I was wrong and I don't remember what it was. The fan side was already on the battery through a circuit breaker. Now the relay is feed from the battery so now I have thermo control of the fan. So warmed it up again and it still showed it was getting hot. Let it cool down checked for air in the system, had a bit, filled it up and tried again. Still air. So I changed the upper hose arrangement to eliminate the up and over configuration I had.
20191015_102709.jpgresized.jpg
To this.
20210307_095144.jpgresized.jpg
To eliminate the "loop" effect. Heated it up again and it still getting hot. I got my laser temp gun out and started taking temp in all the places and found very little temp rise in the upper hose. Back to the parts store and bought another thermostat and installed it. Tried again and this time the needle settled in the middle gauge and stayed there and the fan began to cycle on and off maintaining the temp. So one bug GONE.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Well I lied all that still did not stop the over heating. After a while it would begin to creep back up. Back to the drawing board. Moved the sending unit to a different port away from the exhaust manifold..no help. Stuck in a mechanical temp gauge... showed it getting hot. I got to thinking the fan comes on but after it gets hot. I bought a spacer with 2 ports in it to go between the manifold and the thermostat housing, moved my gauge sensor there and moved my fan sensor also there now the fan comes on much sooner than it did. Now the gauge in the speedometer stays in the middle and the mechanical gauge sits at about 180-190. Success!!! Took it out for a test drive and the temp stayed right there. Even got the Jeep up to 50mph.

Moved it from the tee.....
20210307_095144.jpgresized.jpg

20210318_094507.jpgresized.jpg

Down to the port in the spacer under the thermostat I added. Spacer came from Vintage Air.
20210318_094450.jpgresized.jpg
The sensor in the second port is for the temp gauge in the Speed Hut Speedometer Cluster.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
90 degree angles slow coolant flow, maybe get another bend in that original pipe so the flow isn’t restricted? Might not make a difference, but on the other hand less clamps means less possibility of leaks!
Glad it’s cooling now. What fan did you use?

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
The radiator and fan came from Novak for Chevy conversion.

Yep I thought about the 90's but that's what I could get easily, may rework that at some point.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Put your original upper hose back on. All those 90's slows the coolant. Worst case with the original is a air pocket at the high point of the hose, but it's a nice straight shot. will flow good (especially when you get her on the road on a hot day).

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Put your original upper hose back on. All those 90's slows the coolant. Worst case with the original is a air pocket at the high point of the hose, but it's a nice straight shot. will flow good (especially when you get her on the road on a hot day).
If it don't come up with a better idea that may be what I do. The 30 minute drive it never climbed above 180-190 so it is working but I am still looking at options.