• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I was thinking Q Beam or Amtrack. You might get a lot of people flashing their brights at you.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Put a water pump on the '8. Relatively painless on a 4.0. Biggest issue is getting the dang leftover gasket off the block... Working to get it ready to go to the restorer in N. GA to get some major R&R!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
My "personal shopper" sent me 5 wheels and 7 grab bars today. More to come. I spent most of the day sand blasting and clearing the centers, dressing up the SS spokes, removing leather covers and putty like padding, and scrubbing the wheels. Sometimes I'll get a wheel that is slightly bent, and sometimes really bent. One wheel I got was on the column and it looked like it had been used as a pogo stick. That prompted me to drill a hole in my workbench and bolt the wheel down and straighten it. Now I check wheels and by putting some big washers under the wheel, so it sits flat on them, and cinching the wheel down, and then measure the height of the wheel at the spokes and the top. Our CJ wheels should be (depending on the thickness of the washers) about 4 1/4" bench to top of wheel. If not, a long crow bar over the high side and under the low side and a good push and you can even up the height. The green one took one push. The black one I got off of ebay (said not bent) took a few more. Once they are ready for padding and leather covering they go upstairs to my upholstery work bench. When done, they go to the unexpected guest bed in my shop. Unless the spokes are visibly kinked, you can straighten a wheel without hitting it with a hammer or damaging it.

Attachments

• IMG_0010 (4).JPG
    IMG_0010 (4).JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0008 (4).JPG
    IMG_0008 (4).JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0009 (4).JPG
    IMG_0009 (4).JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0012 (4).JPG
    IMG_0012 (4).JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0011 (4).JPG
    IMG_0011 (4).JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 30

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
My "personal shopper" sent me 5 wheels and 7 grab bars today. More to come. I spent most of the day sand blasting and clearing the centers, dressing up the SS spokes, removing leather covers and putty like padding, and scrubbing the wheels. Sometimes I'll get a wheel that is slightly bent, and sometimes really bent. One wheel I got was on the column and it looked like it had been used as a pogo stick. That prompted me to drill a hole in my workbench and bolt the wheel down and straighten it. Now I check wheels and by putting some big washers under the wheel, so it sits flat on them, and cinching the wheel down, and then measure the height of the wheel at the spokes and the top. Our CJ wheels should be (depending on the thickness of the washers) about 4 1/4" bench to top of wheel. If not, a long crow bar over the high side and under the low side and a good push and you can even up the height. The green one took one push. The black one I got off of ebay (said not bent) took a few more. Once they are ready for padding and leather covering they go upstairs to my upholstery work bench. When done, they go to the unexpected guest bed in my shop. Unless the spokes are visibly kinked, you can straighten a wheel without hitting it with a hammer or damaging it.
Very smart idea on the crowbar and bench!
I am going to have to omit the "guest bed in the shop" during any future conversations at home... don't want to give any ideas :)

cb

timothy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
baltimore
State
oh
Spent most of the day dealing with the new LED light set up.

Synopsis -- LED tail lights I probably paid too much for, LED headlights and turn signals/parking lights up front, third brake light. Started this project a couple of months ago. Got all of the lights in but had some issues (headlights didn't work was the main one). I also had put on a different 3rd brake light but not enough of it showed with the license plate relocation and the wagon wheels so now I have a new one.

First the brake lights:
View attachment 95745

Think you'll be able to see it. Although I'm not a real fan of the LED array type lights, that seems to be about the only thing available (at least that I could find).
I’m in need of a new rear bumper and was curious as to what brand yours is and what size tire you have mounted on it?

capnmark4

Basic User
City
WESTLAKE
State
TX
I’m in need of a new rear bumper and was curious as to what brand yours is and what size tire you have mounted on it?
I got mine off of ebay a long time ago (2007) from a seller gpfab. I don't see him on ebay anymore though. The EAG looks similar.

IIRC, the seller said mine would support up to a 37s or maybe a littler larger (I was thinking 35s at the time). I have 33s on it now.

Good luck!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well, I think my 3a needs a little attention.
Pulled the head to confirm a blown head gasket. And discovered that the PO did without a thermostat. Will be i stalling a new one.

Attachments

• 7D294F36-7F79-4779-A699-BD1FE761C9A1.jpeg
    7D294F36-7F79-4779-A699-BD1FE761C9A1.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 35AEF529-6CF7-492B-B1F1-8C70A0073AEA.jpeg
    35AEF529-6CF7-492B-B1F1-8C70A0073AEA.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 449AF3E1-FB10-46C5-AC1E-71234419CBE4.jpeg
    449AF3E1-FB10-46C5-AC1E-71234419CBE4.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 9

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Got rid of the original horn and put on a dual 2 tone set and did some of clean up/ removal of unused wires from fog lights no longer on the jeep. Still working to get it down to a guy in GA that the Abbots recommended to the long needed R&R...

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That is beautiful. Maybe it’s the lights, but is there a little pearl in there?

laffman

CJ-8 Member
City
Imlay City
State
MI
It looks frikkin awesome! I can't wait to see it back together. Will you add factory graphics eventually?
Definitely will be putting the factory graphics on, '82 SR stripes.

That is beautiful. Maybe it’s the lights, but is there a little pearl in there?
It's metal flake. Believe it or not, this is my Scrambler's factory color, 1H Chestnut Brown. This is how it was is mixed per PPG's formula. Nothing extra, no modifications.

20210821_105821.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I recently cut up a tub that was a 76 Levi's edition CJ7.
I have this piece of garage art that came off of it and is sitting on my workbench
I have the other side sitting in one of my windows

If you are interested in it, let me know, I would look to trade somethign cool Jeep related, wasn't looking for any cash.

cb

20210827_174606_resized.jpg

xatu40

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Port Orange
State
FL
I recently cut up a tub that was a 76 Levi's edition CJ7.
I have this piece of garage art that came off of it and is sitting on my workbench
I have the other side sitting in one of my windows

If you are interested in it, let me know, I would look to trade somethign cool Jeep related, wasn't looking for any cash.

cb

View attachment 96687
I'm not sure I have anything cool jeep related, but if you are open to something else, let me know. Good friend of mine has a 76 Levi Edition in much better shape and I think this would look great in his garage. His father-in-law bought it new, now he and is wife are loving it and jeep'n it on a regular basis.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(12).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(12).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 14