• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Painting the vanity for the upstairs bathroom. It’s Sherwin Williams 7602 - Indigo Batik though I’m using PPG Break Through satin paint. Not too bad but I had to go with this versus my preferred Advantage 900. We’ll see………

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Elusive Mopar Jeep Gladiator trailer brake controller, had to drive two hours to a dealership to purchase, they would not sell to another dealer/ship???

20211120_125353.jpg

20211120_125401.jpg

Scariest part, pulling the dash apart. Got lucky and didn't scratch/damage the plastic or leather, didn't break any plastic clips.

20211120_135441.jpg

The hardest part, for me: removing the original 12 volt power plug from the dash piece, without damage, or the correct tool. Major PIA, if I ever do this again, I am buying the special tool!!!

20211120_135452.jpg

Installing the controller up behind the dash/kick panel. Lot's of people on the internet bitching about this part of the install, they have obviously never changed a CJ brake light switch!!!

20211120_154102.jpg

And the installed trailer brake controller, above the red square that has the differential lock switches, have not hooked up a trailer yet, so assume it works!!!

20211120_154045.jpg

Took about 3 hours for me, and half of that was removing the original auxillary power plug/cigarette lighter thing!!! Instructions sucked, but not rocket science. Since my truck came with the max tow package, only had to do about 25 of the 60 steps!!!! It was easy to find the trailer plug under the dash, included wires were plenty long enough, so not too shabby.

I read a bunch of horror stories online about installing this, but it was pretty easy.

Might be trying it out soon enough!!!

MikeV

Always learning
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
That garage was worth every penny I paid for it. 4 years of upstate winters and I just knocked the snow off it after the storms.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Workbench goodie... and review.
I never would have thought it true, but this thing works very well.
I got 5 torx bolts out in like 10 mins with no effort at all.

20211121_160911_resized.jpg

20211121_160914_resized.jpg

20211121_160940_resized.jpg

20211121_161102_resized.jpg

20211121_161116_resized.jpg

20211121_161352_resized.jpg

20211121_161409_resized.jpg

Then sadly... we had to say RIP to the best purchase I have ever made for the shop... lasted 5 years and now it is no more...

20211121_162402_resized.jpg

It will rotate, but something inside is definitely broken/cracked/worn from the sound it is making.
New one on order... it literally got used each time I was in the garage over the last five years tearing things down, taking tires off, etc.

Sad day, but once I played with that bolt buster a bit, I got the right size for the torx head and that thing is gonna be a godsend vs. using flame to get red hot and torching the area all around it... the foot of that rollbar is the best I have ever had one look once I was done.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Also on the bench was the rustiest VIN tag I have ever seen...

20211121_160904_resized.jpg

It was on the tub I dragged home and was falling apart... it decodes out as a 1984 5 speed 258, but I don't have the other windshield VIN or a title, etc... nice piece of wall art / conversation piece now.

cb

BONUS pic... NON workbench, but figured I would show the latest arrangement of parts "off the ground"... got these plastic pallets the other day that are used to ship tires in from overseas... very heavy duty and won't collect water... just food for thought if people are trying to get stuff not to sit directly on the ground... 10 for 10 bucks a piece, couldn't beat it.

20211121_130101_resized.jpg

I have to move all the stuff back onto them, but in a hurry before it got dark and started raining, I was able to toss a few things up there... yes those are 76 axles (all drum) for those eagle eyes out there. That rollbar is for my kids Scrambler, I am glad to get it off the ground.

cb

laffman

CJ-8 Member
City
Imlay City
State
MI
? for you Laffman - Are you going to install door appliqués?
Body and paint look phenomenal - Great work!
Thanks. Yes, I'm going to do the appliqués. Going to get them from Phoenix Graphics when I order the decal set.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Rebuilt/Reinforced the old Harbor Freight garage today.

View attachment 98648
I second the reinforcement!! I have one over a VW Ghia and a couple weeks ago came home the Harbor Freight garage sitting on the other side of the property than where it was when I had left in the morning. Lucky no harm to the Ghia . Now reinforced and anchored into the ground.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Then sadly... we had to say RIP to the best purchase I have ever made for the shop... lasted 5 years and now it is no more...

View attachment 98661

It will rotate, but something inside is definitely broken/cracked/worn from the sound it is making.
New one on order... it literally got used each time I was in the garage over the last five years tearing things down, taking tires off, etc.

cb
YouTube torque test channel!

DCF921

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I recently cut up a tub that was a 76 Levi's edition CJ7.
I have this piece of garage art that came off of it and is sitting on my workbench
I have the other side sitting in one of my windows

If you are interested in it, let me know, I would look to trade somethign cool Jeep related, wasn't looking for any cash.

cb

View attachment 96687

I have a few more goodies for trading that came from some recent Jeeps and parts hauls... the hood side is NOT original lettering, looks like early Phoenix graphics maybe as it has 2 part construction.... is close, but not exact. The Jeep side badge came off a 79 C7. Looking for trade, not cash... something cool, something Jeep related that I can hang in the garage.

cb

20211125_152311_resized.jpg