• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1984 SL Restoration

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Man I bet you were the coolest kid in town rolling around in one of those!
When I was in kindergarten/elementary school, my mom used to drop us off/pick us up in her 1977 Z28 Camaro, black with orange stripe kit, way cooler than all the other kid's mom's minivans :thumbsup:

My "God Father" was my my mom/grandma's mechanic at the beer company. After kindergarten/elementary school I would be down in the repair shop watching the guys work on all the beer trucks/pick up trucks. This would explain my disposition to always be working on broke down stuff LOL.

I would also go on rides with my dad in the beer trucks to go pick up stuff. When I was real little, I flew with my dad to North Carolina to buy a new beer truck, which we then drove back to Mississippi. It was a "reefer" truck, so we filled it with snow, and had a "white Christmas" in Mississippi. This would explain my propensity to drive long distances in loud/boxy/slow vehicles LOL!!!!!!!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Not the most exciting update, but an update.

The engine oil was getting pretty dark, so decided to add some flush and change the oil and filter.

Used this stuff, have used it before with no problems:

20210419_184001.jpg

20210419_184011.jpg

Seems to be a common picture of this Scrambler, hood up!!!!!!!!!!

20210419_184018.jpg

After adding the flush, and changing the oil, the old oil that came out was jet black. So, hopefully the engine flush stuff cleaned up most of the old carbon build up. There was a little bit of "sludge" in the bottom of the drain pan, not too much, though.

My current "punch list":

20210419_194140.jpg

1) Choke does not always set when you first fire it up. Need to adjust the spring tension (maybe), or make sure nothing is fouling the mechanism.

2) Valve cover is leaking at the front a little bit, hopefully just a screw needs to be retorqued.

3) Clutch has too much free play, easy adjustment.

4) Parking brake, pretty sure it just needs a tension adjustment.

5) Grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds...................

6) Just need to work up the courage to drill a few more holes in the side of the body tub!!!!!!!

7) Have the piece, just need to swap it in.

8) Oil pressure gauge reads 40 psi, even with the sender wire un plugged, will see if I have another old OEM gauge to swap in.

9) The source of my drip on the cardboard is from the oil pan drain plug, it just needs a new washer/gasket.

After that, a quick wash, then get this thing out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it for now :wave:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I need to do rocker trim. Lots of pics please!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Working on the "honey do" list.

Clutch adjustment was easy enough.

Valve cover bolts loose. I need to swap in a tighter fitting oil fill cap, then check again.

Found the problem with the parking brake, the passenger side cable end came off. Will either replace cable or take it off and get a new end crimped on.

20210425_121259.jpg

Problem one with the oil pressure gauge, the OEM sender is leaking very nicely.

20210425_143110.jpg

Tried this sender first, but the gauge just reads 0 psi all the time.

20210426_182144.jpg

Tried this sender next, with a little "RedneckRay adapter wire".

20210427_173921.jpg

20210427_175311.jpg

The OEM gauge is now showing around 15 psi at idle. But, I still think this gauge is bad. I can ground the sender wire post and it will only go to 40 psi. I will plug in an old mechanical oil pressure gauge and compare.

20210427_175342.jpg

Rear blinkers work, front side marker blinkers work, neither grill blinker works, but the grill running lights light up fine while the side marker lights are very dim and both speedometer green arrows stay lit up. Pretty sure a ground issue, bit I also remember something was spliced into the front grill light harness, maybe winch/snowplow light stuff.

20210427_175551.jpg

Working through this punch list, and will be making a new one soon enough.

20210427_175541.jpg

No brake lights, no reverse lights, no horn.........

Reactions: SKT

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Were those the brake cables that came from me? They were from Inline Tube IIRC. I probably have the receipt somewhere. They should fix that under warranty.

Well, shoot. I looked all through my receipt file and it’s not there. I’ll check the shop cabinet tomorrow.

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Were those the brake cables that came from me? They were from Inline Tube IIRC. I probably have the receipt somewhere. They should fix that under warranty.

Well, shoot. I looked all through my receipt file and it’s not there. I’ll check the shop cabinet tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have looked through every spot I could think of, and cannot find that receipt. There were actually several receipts that are missing from around that time- I must have put them in the proverbial “safe place”. I will keep looking.

Possibly a rigging shop can crimp a new stop on the end?

I have done it before myself but I have a couple of HD crimpers...

5E1229AC-7281-493A-A650-7451B82B12F7.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Or you can use the poor man’s version.

15225A47-A5D3-4DF5-8810-CD87BE26E11A.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Or you can use the poor man’s version.

View attachment 93440
Actually, they were cheap on EBay. I got them as part of a group- most were junk but there were a few standouts.

Yours looks like it’s the correct tool- mine are made for battery cables, but they work great on other stuff too!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I use a TEMCo set of crimpers for battery terminals.

683AE9B5-D6E3-41C5-90F4-FFBFBE29B99A.jpeg

I also have a hydraulic sheet metal hole punch set from them. I highly suggest the investment. Much faster and cleaner holes than hole saws.

Knockout Punch Set

Only issue is, sizes are based on electrical conduit fittings.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
That knock out would be handy. I need to add holes in the driver side and passenger side floor for drainage, belts, etc. Wish I had an electrician friend to borrow one for an hour or two. Think I will try a step drill on some scrap steel to see if that is a possibility.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I also have a hydraulic sheet metal hole punch set from them. I highly suggest the investment. Much faster and cleaner holes than hole saws.

Knockout Punch Set

Only issue is, sizes are based on electrical conduit fittings.
I went to the link, that price is insane. :eek:
I have the Greenlee hydraulic set and a set of hand driven ko's. I think the hand set cost more than that kit.
The Greenlee knocks out heavier gauge steel that we run into on some switchgear, but that is more than adequate for the lighter sheet metal.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Nice knockout punch set. I had a cheap set from HF (not hydraulic) and the threads stripped on the second hole. The sweetness of a cheap price is soon forgotten when the tool turns to crap.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I went to the link, that price is insane. :eek:
I have the Greenlee hydraulic set and a set of hand driven ko's. I think the hand set cost more than that kit.
The Greenlee knocks out heavier gauge steel that we run into on some switchgear, but that is more than adequate for the lighter sheet metal.

I have used the hydraulic punch on some 14 gauge steel. It was not happy, but made it through without damaging the dies.

The selection of alternative punch shapes from them is impressive. Square, rectangle, double-d, DIMPLE DIES!!!

There are a LOT of cheap tools out there that are trash, but the TEMCo brand has performed great for me. But, a Greenlee they are not. I’m not an electrician, so I really can’t justify buying Greenlee for my Hobby needs.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looks like I’m going to have to bookmark TEMCo for future reference 🙂

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
But, a Greenlee they are not. I’m not an electrician, so I really can’t justify buying Greenlee for my Hobby needs.
No, I agree 100%.
They look like they would be a good option for placing on electrical service trucks.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Flew to PA last Thursday with Tommy/Tepper to a Jeep show/swap meet, got back Sunday.

Tulane cancer/liver doctor stuff today, water heater failure last night, but did squeeze in a little bit of Jeep "work" :thumbsup:

I was able to "fix" the front turn signal/side marker light issue, just a loose/bad connection at both grill light to harness connectors:

20210503_184448.jpg

Diagnosed a few other things: bad gas gauge, bad brake light switch :banghead:

20210503_185221.jpg

My list is getting shorter. I hope to finish up my time with this little project this weekend, give it back to Tommy next weekend :fingerscrossed:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Still no luck finding that receipt for the cable. Let me know how it goes. You could always contact Inline and tell them that you’re building the keep for me and I supplied the cable and see what they do-